Florida Oddities? What have you experienced?

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Default Florida Oddities? What have you experienced?

I noticed our rain sensor for the sprinkler system was not working. I've replaced it once maybe 8 years ago so assumed old age.

Anyway, after buying a replacement and installing it I got to looking at the failed rain sensor and saw "plant fibers" in the area blocking the switch that would open the normally closed circuit when it got wet. After tearing apart the rain sensor (I'm a mechanical engineer by training and that's what we do), I found what looked a lot like Spanish Moss fibers that had grown and spread in that cavity. Took a tweezer to prize them out, but I'm sure that's what nixed the rain sensor.

Only in Florida!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,237 Posts

Interesting, I will have to look at mine, I think I see some Clorox in the near future....
Old 02-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

It's something that when you are speaking to a Florida Native they speak quickly at the Rhythm of a person from the Tri-State area of N.Y.

Same Florida Native speaking to you about a service that they provide that involves $$ Money $$ it's a long-winded speech and they stretch out their story forever. Wanna grab them by the neck and shake them and tell them just spit it out and get it over already.

I still love it in Florida. Every place has its oddities.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

The restaurants in this area do not compare to what we have in my home state of Rhode Island. It certainly helps that Johnson & Wales Culinary Institue is based there.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
The restaurants in this area do not compare to what we have in my home state of Rhode Island. It certainly helps that Johnson & Wales Culinary Institue is based there.
My sister just moved her family from Texas to Woonsocket R.I. and absolutely loves it there. After 25 years of Texas, they are grateful to be back near the Best Seafood.

It was so cold there lately that I didn't even tease them a bit. They have no clue how I restrained myself. So many people with so much hardship, it just didn't feel good to do it.

I wonder who you are rooting for in the SuperBowl? Just remember to stay inflated. Good Luck to ya I B-Flat!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Nor do the restaurants compare to what we have in Manhattan. I don’t believe anyone moves to TV for the food.

If I want a first class meal it means a trip to Orlando. I like Victoria & Albert's at Disney or Norman’s inside the hotel.

TV is a superior place to live in almost every category, but I don’t believe fine dining is one of them.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
My sister just moved her family from Texas to Woonsocket R.I. and absolutely loves it there. After 25 years of Texas, they are grateful to be back near the Best Seafood.

It was so cold there lately that I didn't even tease them a bit. They have no clue how I restrained myself. So many people with so much hardship, it just didn't feel good to do it.

I wonder who you are rooting for in the SuperBowl? Just remember to stay inflated. Good Luck to ya I B-Flat!
WOW that’s unusual moving from Texas to “The Woon” as some locals call it. Tell your sister not to miss going to dinner at Wright’s Farm and also stopping at the bakery called Wright’s ( different locations and not related in any way). There are lots of other great spots too but both Wright’s businesses are located nearby. Wright’s is not fine dining it’s good family style dining with what in my opinion is some of the best chicken and French Fries anywhere.

Federal Hill is the great place for Italian dining starting with the Old Canteen, there’s Twin Oaks and Spain in Cranston. Too many others to list here.

I won’t tell you who I’m rooting for but I will say my former division office secretary is the director of the NE Pats cheerleaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Nor do the restaurants compare to what we have in Manhattan. I don’t believe anyone moves to TV for the food.

If I want a first class meal it means a trip to Orlando. I like Victoria & Albert's at Disney or Norman’s inside the hotel.

TV is a superior place to live in almost every category, but I don’t believe fine dining is one of them.
No you can’t beat Manhattan either.

Last edited by B-flat; 02-02-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage

What strikes me if most everyone I've met in FL are "transplants". That said though they tend to compare living here to where they came from and how much better this or that was back there. Wonder if it's an "oddity" of FL or just the fact people want what they had before and don't now.

We love it here and the balance of "would we want to battle snow, ice and cold?" or love out new place for what it gives us....Sun, warmth and a slower pace of living?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Gold member

The nicest oddity I have found here is the Manatee
Old 02-02-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

We love it here, but not in the hot months. We are fortunate we have a place up north too and enjoy the nice spring, summer and some of the fall months there so we get eat all that great chow up north. I have a friend who moved to Florida about 15 years ago at the time he and his wife were both working and had jobs they could work at no matter what part of the country they lived in. At the time they rented a home in South Florida. After 2 years they both moved back to RI. I asked why, he said they missed the great restaurants and their friends.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:28 AM

transplants telling us how things are done in Florida...….
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 02-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Platinum member

I find the lack of safety inspection requirements for automobiles odd.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Thunder and Lightning storms. We occasionally get them up north, but nothing like Florida. We also
love a good fish market in Florida. Grouper, snapper, mahi-mahi, instead of the usual cod, haddock, and salmon.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I find the lack of safety inspection requirements for automobiles odd.
Made me think about it so I looked it up.

Vehicle inspection in the United States - Wikipedia
Old 02-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
What strikes me if most everyone I've met in FL are "transplants". That said though they tend to compare living here to where they came from and how much better this or that was back there. Wonder if it's an "oddity" of FL or just the fact people want what they had before and don't now.

We love it here and the balance of "would we want to battle snow, ice and cold?" or love out new place for what it gives us....Sun, warmth and a slower pace of living?
No it’s not an oddity of FL. I’ve lived in several States. All transplants miss something from their previous city. It’s only natural to want the best of your last home and your home now. FL/TV is a nice place to live but it’s not utopia. However, the pros outweigh the cons hence we choose FL/TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
rain, sensor, florida, fibers, engineer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.