Florida Oddities? What have you experienced?

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

The racket of insurance companies required to replace cracked windshields, with no deductible...or raising your premiums.

Since the windshield repair companies know this, it costs on average about 2-3 times as much here (with the insurer paying)...as states that don't have this racket.

I believe at last count, there were only three states that have this law (Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina).

Not to mention, that it isn't the insurance companies...that eventually pay for this scheme.

Windshield Replacement Scheme (click here)

Quote:
According to the Florida's insurance commissioner, windshield replacement schemes are driving up the price of auto insurance throughout the state.

The issue is most rampant in the Tampa Bay area.

It involves drivers with cracked windshields signing over their insurance benefits to repair contractors, some of which then pursue payments from insurance companies at inflated prices.

Known in the industry as "assignment of benefits," insurers say the practice has become riddled with fraud and abuse, often at no fault of the actual policyholder.

Under Florida law, windshield replacement claims cost nothing out of pocket for insured drivers, making it a lucrative opportunity for those looking to cheat insurance companies.

"Consumers are told that there is a crack in their windshield, and 'we can replace it right here in the parking lot for you," said David Altmaier, Florida's insurance commissioner. "We just need to sign this form please.' What this is is an assignment of benefits. They replace the windshield, and there is a dispute between the windshield company and the insurance company that goes to litigation. It begins to start to drive costs up."

According to Altmaier, there were 19,000 "assignment of benefits" related windshield claim lawsuits in the state last year.

That's up from less than 500 a decade ago

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-02-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We don't need no Stickin' Inspection. http://blog.consumerguide.com/wp-con...title_card.jpg
Old 02-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Yes u do.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Made me think about it so I looked it up.

Vehicle inspection in the United States - Wikipedia
When I lived here in the early 70's Florida had mandatory inspections every year. That was the only time you had to show proof that you had insurance. You guessed it, all these insurance companies opened offices around the inspection stations and would sell policies that people would cancel within a month. I think they charged the people for a month.

Speaking of inspection stations. All of the inspection stations were built by and owned by the state. There simply weren't enough of them, especially in South Florida, to keep up with a fast growing population. You could wait in a line of cars for 6-8 hours before your car was actually inspected. Cars would run out of gas, overheat etc while waiting in line. Then, if you got into the station and they found something wrong, they couldn't fix it. Not even a light bulb. You had to take your car to a garage and get the repair done because you had to bring a paid receipt from a garage back when you went for a reinspection to prove the work was done. Speaking of a reinspection, you once again had to wait in a line of cars for 6-8 hours to get back into the inspection station. I think they gave you 10 days to get the repair done and the car reinspected.

As you can see, it was a mess. Due to so many complaints and the state not being able to build and staff enough inspection stations to make it work, they just did away with inspections altogether.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Armadillos..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

One of my most enjoyable Florida experiences occurred in the early 1970's. I drove through Haines City and the surrounding area late at night. I had all the windows in my car down and experienced for miles the incredible fragrance of the orange blossoms in the orchards through which the road passed. It was almost intoxicatingly delightful!

I really like the pleasant central Florida accent and manner of speech.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-02-2019, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I find the lack of safety inspection requirements for automobiles odd.
I am all for safety inspections, but what I love about Florida is there is no need for emissions inspection. In Massachusetts they will fail your car, which is completely safe and runs like clockwork, because of some stupid emissions test that requires you to spend over a thousand dollars on a catalytic converter, which will fail again in a few years.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Being a native Southerner the biggest oddities in TV are people from up North but I tolerate it.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

No coat closets in the entry way. And then I thought .... what ever for???
Old 02-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am all for safety inspections, but what I love about Florida is there is no need for emissions inspection.
I very much agree with that.

The 'check engine' light came on in our 13 year old car in 2016 and I never got it fixed. The car kept running great and is still doing fine three years later.
Closed Thread

Tags
rain, sensor, florida, fibers, engineer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.