Florida residency

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,310 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Your car does not have to be in Florida to register it here in Florida. There is a form that could be filled out and used instead of the actual inspection. An official (Leo etc) where the car is located verifies the vin and mileage.

Florida dmv will give you the Florida registration and plates if you give them the form and the fees.

I have done this.
Id be curious where you lived because there is no way any of my local police would even bother with a request like that. They were busy with real police work.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Id be curious where you lived because there is no way any of my local police would even bother with a request like that. They were busy with real police work.
Actually I was already physically in Florida my car was physically in Georgia at the time with NY plates on it. I sent the half completed form to Georgia, my friend took It to a local cop who verified vin and mileage, they mailed it to me in Florida, I registered the car and I mailed the plates to Georgia. He mailed N.Y. plates directly back to N.Y. dmv.

I was about to leave the country for a couple months and needed that Florida car registration to complete my residency. Or so I assumed, it was late January and the homestead cutoff is March 1st. Maybe I could have done the Florida residency homestead with just my house deed.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82042.pdf

Last edited by Allegiance; 11-18-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
So I guess I register the one we bring down in December and when the other 2 come down in February we will register them.
I am not sure where you are moving from, but I had major sticker shock on car insurance. My 2012 Honda Accord cost $400 a year in Wisconsin and the same coverage in Florida is $1200! No wonder people give up cars for golf carts!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 08:51 AM

I recently declared domicile in Fla and you first need a Fla license to obtain insurance in the state. Yes, they do verify VIN number to register the vehicle. Then go to the county office and obtain voter registration and apply for homestead rebate (with the rebate you'll save $$$ on property tax. It was easy...I did it all in one day.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Can you explain that one more, please? $5000 off of what, and one time only or every year?
Sorry for the delay. $5000 comes off your home value every year, just like homestead exemption. You need a letter from the VA showing you are a veteran. Go to the VA website.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
You have to be a disabled veteran for the $5000 additional exemption according to the Sumter County web site.
Yes, this is true.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
There is also a veteran exemption of $5000 in addition to the Homestead exemption, if you are a veteran.

Should have been more clear. The $5000 exemption applies to vets with a minimum 10 percent disability. This is in addition to the normal Homestead Exemption available to Florida residents. Here is a link: State of Florida Fact Sheet - Department of Military Affairs

Old 11-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

All went well, official residents of Florida now, one stop shopping at the dome building. That would have taken a week in Ohio but less than one hour here. Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
All went well, official residents of Florida now, one stop shopping at the dome building. That would have taken a week in Ohio but less than one hour here. Thanks for all of the advice.
Where is the dome building? Have an address?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

7375 Powell Road. 466A and Powell Road, near Pinellas Plaza.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

An additional caution. Defer income such as windfalls until you are truly a Florida resident if you are coming from a state that has a state income tax. I bought a house in Florida and moved into it after I retired. I got a substantial bonus after I retired and was living in Florida. I did not change my employment registered address and thus they deducted state income tax from that bonus and sent it to Massachusetts. I had not yet gone to all the Florida resident steps and had no basis that Massachusetts would accept.

Thus, I would caution you not to accept simplistic advice regarding this issue. Make sure that your employment address properly reflects Florida as your residence, take all necessary steps to make Florida your residence. Florida residence affects more than a homestead allowance on your home. It can affect being taxed on income by your previous state. Once they have the money, it then becomes your task to try to get it back.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
An additional caution. Defer income such as windfalls until you are truly a Florida resident if you are coming from a state that has a state income tax. I bought a house in Florida and moved into it after I retired. I got a substantial bonus after I retired and was living in Florida. I did not change my employment registered address and thus they deducted state income tax from that bonus and sent it to Massachusetts. I had not yet gone to all the Florida resident steps and had no basis that Massachusetts would accept.

Thus, I would caution you not to accept simplistic advice regarding this issue. Make sure that your employment address properly reflects Florida as your residence, take all necessary steps to make Florida your residence. Florida residence affects more than a homestead allowance on your home. It can affect being taxed on income by your previous state. Once they have the money, it then becomes your task to try to get it back.
That is why God invented attorneys and CPA's. By using them after going through the simple process down here, you would not have had your problems. I would recommend that anyone changing their residency to exactly that.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
7375 Powell Road. 466A and Powell Road, near Pinellas Plaza.
Okay, that's what I thought. Thank you
Closed Thread

Tags
begin, find, info, appreciated, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.