Florida Toll Roads - Surprise bill in the mail

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Default Florida Toll Roads - Surprise bill in the mail

The last time we came to The Villages we rented a car and toured around Florida just to check the state out. We remember driving on a couple of toll roads that did not have a toll gate to stop at and pay the toll.

It seems the car rental company got the tolls (and an administration fee....) and forward them on to us for payment.

My question is..... How do you pay for tolls where there are no gates or coin baskets to pay the tolls? Do you register your car/license plate with the state?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
The last time we came to The Villages we rented a car and toured around Florida just to check the state out. We remember driving on a couple of toll roads that did not have a toll gate to stop at and pay the toll.

It seems the car rental company got the tolls (and an administration fee....) and forward them on to us for payment.

My question is..... How do you pay for tolls where there are no gates or coin baskets to pay the tolls? Do you register your car/license plate with the state?

Thanks
The rental car should have given you an option for fast pass. A lot of times it's already attached in a shielded box on the windshield, to use it you simply open the box. I'm sure there is a fee on top of the toll to use it. You can also purchase your own at Public's.

You need to get a Florida fast pass. Public's has removable and permanent ones.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
The rental car should have given you an option for fast pass. A lot of times it's already attached in a shielded box on the windshield, to use it you simply open the box. I'm sure there is a fee on top of the toll to use it. You can also purchase your own at Public's.

You need to get a Florida fast pass. Public's has removable and permanent ones.
Link to Florida Sun Pass. https://www.sunpass.com/index
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post

Thanks
There was a previous discussion about this a while back. I got two $51 fees from Dollar rent a car. I never saw the toll booths. They are there, it just looks like an exit that you do not want to take but in fact it is a toll booth, right outside the airport both ways it seems, as that is where I got it. I did not take out the pass as I was just staying at TV and in fact did not even drive the car around but once. Hard lesson to learn about toll booths!

Last edited by jane032657; 07-23-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

If you always stay in the right-hand lane you will come upon the toll booth for cash paying drivers. If you stay in the left lane and proceed through the toll area (which is for sunpass vehicles only) that's where you will encounter the problem. If you think back to your travels try to remember if you were in the left hand lane. Probably difficult to recall but I'm sure that's where the problem for you exists. Also, when you get a detailed list of your violations, it will describe exactly which lane you were in when you went through the toll.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I normally rent from Enterprise and they will just add the tolls to your rental...no penalities. The toll booths take a photo of the license plate and sends to the owner (Enterprise), who then charges you the appropriate amount. Next time, ask your rental car company about the tolls.

Last time I rented a car, I was charged $5.00 additional for tolls...
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy and al View Post
If you always stay in the right-hand lane you will come upon the toll booth for cash paying drivers. If you stay in the left lane and proceed through the toll area (which is for sunpass vehicles only) that's where you will encounter the problem. If you think back to your travels try to remember if you were in the left hand lane. Probably difficult to recall but I'm sure that's where the problem for you exists. Also, when you get a detailed list of your violations, it will describe exactly which lane you were in when you went through the toll.
Some of the more secluded exit toll booths are unmanned or should I say "unpersoned".
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Sage

Joe is right. Some exits are marked that you must have Sunpass to exit there.

All the car rental agencies offer the Sunpass transponder at an additional fee. It is well worth taking it instead of having to pay a fine. Florida is kind of famous for it's toll roads and how to get the most money from tourists - especially around the airport.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
Some of the more secluded exit toll booths are unmanned or should I say "unpersoned".
If I understand the OP correctly, he says that "a couple of the toll roads did not have a toll gate to stop at and pay the toll". I understand that there are some obscure exits that are unmanned, however, they do have a "basket" to accept cash. Since he says that there was no toll gate, I'm still thinking that he was on a stretch of toll road that allows sunpass customers to stay in the left lane and proceed without having to stop (as was the case for many years before they modified the toll both areas). Vehicles that do not have a sunpass are directed to the right hand lanes to pay cash. I may be wrong, but I still think that was the original problem here.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy and al View Post
If I understand the OP correctly, he says that "a couple of the toll roads did not have a toll gate to stop at and pay the toll". I understand that there are some obscure exits that are unmanned, however, they do have a "basket" to accept cash. Since he says that there was no toll gate, I'm still thinking that he was on a stretch of toll road that allows sunpass customers to stay in the left lane and proceed without having to stop (as was the case for many years before they modified the toll both areas). Vehicles that do not have a sunpass are directed to the right hand lanes to pay cash. I may be wrong, but I still think that was the original problem here.
There are several toll roads (many in the Orlando area) that do not have any toll booths (for cash or Sunpass). There are overhead structures that detect the Sunpass (or photograph vehicle license plates if the Sunpass transponder is not detected). Usually the entrance to these roads have signage indicating a Sunpass is required.

I bought my Sunpass at Publix for $4.99 and that $4.99 was credited to my Sunpass account once I set it up online.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages

Last edited by cappyjon431; 07-23-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
There are several toll roads (many in the Orlando area) that do not have any toll booths (for cash or Sunpass).
Captain Jon is correct..... I had no way to pay and now I know.

Looks like I will have to go to Publix and purchase the correct equipment when I make TV my home on October 1st.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my question.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Gold member

In a related incident, last week we were in our own car leaving NY and entering the Garden State parkway southbound toward Atlantic City in commuter traffic. The GPS had been telling me for a few miles to stay left for Garden State Pky south. So I'm the leftmost lane when I see that about four left lanes are for EZPASS only. There's a fork in the road, and about six right lanes going to the toll booths. There were no booths for EZPASS, just overhead electronics and cameras. It will be interesting so see what kind of notification I get from New Jersey.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

I just took a look at the Sunpass online location and see it's pretty easy to purchase one online. I think Florida has another type of prepaid toll arrangement. Am I going to need one of those also?

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Colorado has the same system also. Main road out of the Airport to Boulder has unmanned toll booths. I mistakenly turned down the pass offered by Dollar, not realizing the booths were unmanned, and since I was only going to use the road once on arriving and once on leaving. Figured to pay as we go. Mistake. Billed by Dollar for the tolls, of course, but also billed a $25 administrative fee for each toll booth going and returning (4 total).
My understanding is that Florida is going to go to unmanned booths for tolls, either very soon, or 1st of year.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

We just drove back up from the Keys and there were signs posted that toll charges would be charged based on the license platr. i took that to mean that in that area if people don't get a sun Pass then in order to keep traffic flowing they will take photo of plate and mail charges. if this is true the admin caost have to be huge????
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.