Floridian lifestyle

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There is no reason to leave Long Island for TV except for the weather and financial considerations. Long Island still has a lot to offer that TV couldn't match on its best day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
And crime, pollution.
Quote:
The health implications of stress and pollution.

The Villages Florida
I had an uncle murdered in NYC in the 1980s and a friend killed on long long island in the 1990s.

Murders in US very concentrated: 54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders, 2% of counties have 51% of the murders - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

Check out Sumter County
Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
You are so correct. When I was first married we moved away from Texas to Florida. I was telling my doctor about our move and she made this well known comment. Happiness is not anyplace, or with anyone. Happiness is found within yourself. If you plan to be happy, you will. If you plan to be unhappy, you will. Of course I was excited about moving to a beach city and we were very happy there. We have moved to several state in our 58 years together. It’s always an adjustment but I have always happy where ever we lived.
What a great comment!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I had an uncle murdered in NYC in the 1980s and a friend killed on long long island in the 1990s.

Murders in US very concentrated: 54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders, 2% of counties have 51% of the murders - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

Check out Sumter County

What is nice about the Villages is the cleanliness and safety.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Feel your pain ............ We commuted from the North Shore to Burlington (me), he had to go down to Norwood! When he was not in Norwood he was catching a flight out of Logan. 128 year round it's a death trap.

Love TV I should add that yes, I miss my two sons and my gandchildren, BUT when we visit the kids are always busy and the grandchildren are gone most of the time. What on earth would we do back there?
I make the commute now from Nashua NH area to West Roxbury MA. Route 3 to 128. I just returned from a lifestyle visit and as I sit here in front of the fireplace with it 28 degrees outside and the driveway coated in ice and snow, I wonder why I'm still here.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant View Post
I make the commute now from Nashua NH area to West Roxbury MA. Route 3 to 128. I just returned from a lifestyle visit and as I sit here in front of the fireplace with it 28 degrees outside and the driveway coated in ice and snow, I wonder why I'm still here.
Come on down. Visits up north are fine
Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Living in New York, I think I would appreciate more of the laid back life style of the South. How many feel the lifestyle is so much better than the North if you are from there.
Hate to say it but Florida is not really the south per se for the most part.. Some parts are but certainly not The Villages or the larger metro areas. Many parts of Florida are really just New York South. If you want to see the laid back south you need to go to the rural areas in NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, MS.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Hate to say it but Florida is not really the south per se for the most part.. Some parts are but certainly not The Villages or the larger metro areas. Many parts of Florida are really just New York South. If you want to see the laid back south you need to go to the rural areas in NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, MS.
But those areas still are susceptible to the "S" word.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Living in New York, I think I would appreciate more of the laid back life style of the South. How many feel the lifestyle is so much better than the North if you are from there.
There's a lot of difference between the laid back life style of the true South (Arkansas included) and the life style of Florida. A lot of people in Florida are not native Southern folk and the ones that are natives grow weary of the transplanted Northern folk.

Yes, at times I do miss being around true Southern folk, but not enough to endure the winters and spring tornado season, plus my wife would never move back.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleball119 View Post
If you pick an abundance of sun as a "lifestyle"--I would pick Florida, for sure. Other than that--my heart is still in western New York.
If you classify sun as the lifestyle then your are missing so much here. This place isn't for everyone and some can't handle the separation and do move back north, which is the right thing to do. Those that can't handle the separation and stay are usually wasting their retirement by living in a place that makes them unhappy. Don't feel bad if this isn't your place, find one that makes you happy.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
I try not to use the LIE because of the trucks, but the Southern State to me is the worse when it comes to traffic. I went to Hawaii, and I could not believe the traffic there.
The Belt Parkway beats Southern State for traffic and it does it with narrower lanes and tighter curves in the road. I don't miss driving those parkways.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There is no reason to leave Long Island for TV except for the weather and financial considerations. Long Island still has a lot to offer that TV couldn't match on its best day.
I was born and raised on Long Island. I can honestly say there is nothing on Long Island that I find has a lot to offer. NYC, however, is a magical place that is a hop skip and a jump from Long Island on the train. NYC is the draw, not Long Island.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I was born and raised on Long Island. I can honestly say there is nothing on Long Island that I find has a lot to offer. NYC, however, is a magical place that is a hop skip and a jump from Long Island on the train. NYC is the draw, not Long Island.
Yes I agree. But there are a few pretty spots on Long Island but nothing compared to New York especially this time of year. I am sure the Villages looks pretty too from some of the pictures I see and I think less people than New York.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The Belt Parkway beats Southern State for traffic and it does it with narrower lanes and tighter curves in the road. I don't miss driving those parkways.
Yes true. Southern state leads you into the Belt which is another nightmare. I was just talking about the parkways out in Long Island. Those parkways in the city areas can be very bad.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant View Post
Just pick the best time for you to retire and then go down to the Villages.😊
Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You will probably be as happy here as you were wherever you lived before, but you will be warmer and busy if you choose to be.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-20-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
lifestyle, feel, north, life, york

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.