Snakes

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2019, 07:23 PM
Default Snakes

Ok, I had planned to buy a walled villa so my cat could roam inside the outdoor walled area to kill all these mice I hear about. Now, I am reading about snakes killing cats in TV. :0. Thoughts?) UPDATE: I plan to put an invisible fence around the courtyard to keep cat inside, plus I plan to have nooks and crevaices for him to hide. PLUS, I would look for a villa in the center of others houses, not close to water or woods. More thoughts? OR, HOW CAN I MAKE THIS WORK? This cat HAS to be outdoors, some anyway. I'm thinking some sort of netting to cover most of the courtyard, maybe 2 ft high. ALSO, a couple of 6 ft long wood boxes he could climb into if coyote got into the courtyard. ANOTHER UPDATE: I do not need a lecture on the dangers, I am well aware of them. I need ideas! If you have no ideas, then dont post, it's very simple. I CAN read, shocking I know, but Ohioians can read!

Last edited by Gigi3000; 12-20-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I don’t know where you hearing this? Please post or reference the article. I’ve been here five years and never seen mouse. Seen couple of palm rats 🐀. Have never seen snake big enough to kill cat either. IMO walled villa not going to protect cat if you let it roam.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,934 Times in 2,703 Posts

Our house abuts a preserve and we often see big nasty looking snakes lurking on the fence line. I am not afraid of much, but snakes freak me out. Water moccasins are definitely in the area and are aggressive and very poisonous. I won’t let our border collie go out there and risk her getting bitten. One time I saw our lawn mowing guy running toward the road leaving his mower behind. He told me he almost got bit by a snake by the fence. I very much do enjoy occasionally watching a hawk swoop down and grab a snake.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,199 Posts

Please do NOT let kitty roam outside, too many predators and and cats are very curious and will probably find a way out! Our kitty enjoys going out in the screened lanai and birdcage. We went the extra mile and had pet resistant screening installed in the lower portion so that other animals should not be able to get in.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Ok, I had planned to buy a walled villa so my cat could roam inside the outdoor walled area to kill all these mice I hear about. Now, I am reading about snakes killing cats in TV. :0. Thoughts?)
1. Mice aren't a thing in the Villages.
2. Your cat will find a way to climb the wall.
3. Walls don't stop hawks and eagles who want a nice leg-o-cat sandwich for a lights snack.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,934 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
1. Mice aren't a thing in the Villages.
2. Your cat will find a way to climb the wall.
3. Walls don't stop hawks and eagles who want a nice leg-o-cat sandwich for a lights snack.
I watched a hawk dive bomb our next door neighbors Birdcage to get a geco on the screen. The hawk went right through the screen and got trapped inside the birdcage. Since the neighbor was not home and the birdcage door was locked, I had to peel back the already broken screen and let the hawk out. Then I replaced the spline on the screen and contacted the neighbor and let her know what happened. The hawk frantically tried to get out of the birdcage and broke a bunch of stuff inside that was on the table.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Ok, I had planned to buy a walled villa so my cat could roam inside the outdoor walled area to kill all these mice I hear about. Now, I am reading about snakes killing cats in TV. :0. Thoughts?)

My thought is you shouldn't even have a cat if you think a walled-in area will keep your pet safe! Obviously, that isn't even a concern.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I will say this: You will lose your cat 100% Guaranteed if you let him/her out. Either by escaping or by a predator.

Don't do it.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:17 AM

I agree with Villagetinker
Old 12-19-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Not sure where your hearing this nonsense..I have not seen mice here.. but then again it is nature..each takes care of their own..
Pretty sure your cat will climb a villa wall..

Last edited by Mmarr; 12-19-2019 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Sp check
Old 12-19-2019, 06:25 AM

I had field mice in the garage when I first moved in . They got in through a small hole that wasn’t sealed properly around the garage door. Sealing up the door properly and getting a trap outside the door with bait , Irish spring soap inside the doors killed that. I woul worry about letting out the cat alone in a villa . I had a small snake - not sure what kind in my backyard. I would truly worry more about the hawks as well as the owls . Both can take a cat and will. A hawk came down one day and sat on my wall . Not sure what it was after but it never went down to the ground and eventually flew away but had I Had a small animal I’m sure it would have gone after it .
Old 12-19-2019, 06:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have mice - have humanely trapped and released two that were living in our attic - so I suspect most gardens have them but that they just remain unseen.

That's why we encourage snakes in our garden - good for getting rid of baby rats, too.

As for a snake large enough to eat a cat getting into a courtyard villa - not so sure on that one.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Our kitty enjoys going out in the screened lanai and birdcage. We went the extra mile and had pet resistant screening installed in the lower portion so that other animals should not be able to get in.
How does that screening work with the cat claws? Does the cat climb the screens? I'd love to let our kitty onto the lanai but I'm afraid he'll wreck the place!
Old 12-19-2019, 07:46 AM

The Blue Herons catch and eat the snakes.
I've seen one capture and eat a snake whole in my neighbor's yard a few months ago.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

We have a large bird cage for our two Maine Coons (Cage is 1,300 sq ft, Cats are 22lbs each). The walls all have pet screen - so far (over a year now) the screen holds up very well to their claws. We have had to take them off the screen after climbing after lizards, and the screen is still fine.

We had the same screen in our last home, and it was still fine when we sold it - after 5 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
snakes, walled, mice, hear, killing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.