Flowers or weeds? Sad looking flowers around the common areas and roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 09:28 AM

It is so sad to see....Just when they start looking really well, they come and rip them out and replace them with scrawny looking new plants all over again.... I wish they planted more perennials or stripped/multi-colored grasses, instead of replacing stuff every 3 months. It would be great if they notified us (via tiny sign?) that the old things were being removed within a day or so - so that we could come and get some of the stuff that was still looking perfectly good.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

A weed is simply an unwanted plant. For you a weed maybe. A flower for others. I’ve noticed them too and think they’re pretty. It’s nice to see something a little different than the usual. But they do get rather talk and block the view in some roundabouts.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I too have noticed that the general maintenance of the landscaping in the common areas has declined a bit. I have seen weeds growing in cracks of the sidewalks, dead palm branches lying on the ground for days and the flowers seem less vibrant and hearty as in the past. The one thing that has always stood out about TV is the infrastructure and the upkeep. I hate to think that it is slowly deteriorating.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I too have noticed that the general maintenance of the landscaping in the common areas has declined a bit. I have seen weeds growing in cracks of the sidewalks, dead palm branches lying on the ground for days and the flowers seem less vibrant and hearty as in the past. The one thing that has always stood out about TV is the infrastructure and the upkeep. I hate to think that it is slowly deteriorating.
Why not call District Property Management with your concerns and observations?
Main Office
1026 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-753-4022
Fax: 352-753-4296

Business Hours:
8am to 5pm
Old 09-20-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianaB View Post
I’ve been in/around The Villages for nearly 8 years and have always appreciated the landscaping and flowers throughout the neighborhoods. This year though, they look more like weeds! I’m wondering if they simply cut the budget, or what??
They look like flowers from that picture to me.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:30 AM

We've discussed hoping they never plant these again, as now they are blocking the view seeing into oncoming traffic in several of the roundabouts. This could easily cause an accident down by the Rohan roundabout going north from 44.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The tall ones look like thistle. Hard to tell with that shot though, they're too far away to see any details. Could be cynara or maybe basketflower. They're all very pretty, to me. I love wildflowers though.

If I were the landscaper, however, I'd put them in the middle of the garden, with shorter ones encircling it outward, to the shortest ones at the curb.
I agree about balancing and sloping the flower height. And I would say that ALL flowers are really wildflowers. There is special breeding going on, yet your strongest, toughest, most drought-resistant, and maintenance-free ARE probably the wildflowers.IMO.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
It is so sad to see....Just when they start looking really well, they come and rip them out and replace them with scrawny looking new plants all over again.... I wish they planted more perennials or stripped/multi-colored grasses, instead of replacing stuff every 3 months. It would be great if they notified us (via tiny sign?) that the old things were being removed within a day or so - so that we could come and get some of the stuff that was still looking perfectly good.
I believe that "they" pay attention to the seasons, and maybe the heat and place flowers that weather the temperature.

If "they" did all of the things that everyone wanted them to do, that would cost in money and manpower and I like this place run just the way it has been run for the last sixteen years.

I don't want "striped grasses". The plants they plant are never SCRAWNY but they do get bigger as the time continues. I like things just the way they are. BEAUTIFUL.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I'd prefer more perennials accented with some annuals also more use of mulch to conserve over watering
I think that colorful stone gravels are prettier than that pukey faded red, dyed shredded wood - which floats away in a hurricane or heavy rainstorm. Pine needles are just as bad at "floating away". Now as far as holding moisture, I imagine that natural wood and needles are superior to gravel, but gravel (like shell) MUST hold some rainwater. IMO.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianaB View Post
I’ve been in/around The Villages for nearly 8 years and have always appreciated the landscaping and flowers throughout the neighborhoods. This year though, they look more like weeds! I’m wondering if they simply cut the budget, or what??
Well, to each their own, but I happen to like the looks of them over the same old traditional look I’ve looked at the past 7 years.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Don’t worry they will rip them out and plant other flowers soon
I have a plant that just "blew in" on its own. It is unique in that it has both green and hot PINK LEAVES on the same branch and on every branch. I see NO flowers on it. It gets about 4 ft tall after about 1 year and seems EXTREMELY hardy and propagates mainly by runners. It impresses me and I have NO clue what its name is??? Please help me identify that mystery plant!
Also, I have no idea (another thing I am clueless about) how to put a picture in this or any other forum. I am a hopeless Luddite - whatever that is?
Old 09-20-2021, 10:58 AM

Go to Stonecrest or Spruce Creek South before you judge
Old 09-20-2021, 11:26 AM

Just a little concerned about Villagers stopping in the roundabouts to take something for free. If not in the roundabout, where do they park their vehicles while grabbing? We have enough traffic problems in the roundabouts already, without "stopping" for the freebies. And, if there is a convenient place to park legally, go for it and just pray you don't get run over while getting to the loot. Just a thought.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelad View Post
I actually love these flowers! Trying to find out what they are as I would love some in my flower beds!
The Latin name of this purple flower is verbena bonariensis. Some common names are purpletop vervain, Argentinian vervain, tall verbena, and clustertop vervain. I purchased a number of these from a local plant retailer, I believe it was KB nursery. They grew beautifully all spring and early summer but succumbed to my heavy wet soil. They prefer free drainage but do enjoy regular moisture. They can suffer from mildew if the soil is waterlogged. I now have some volunteers growing around my yard three years later and they look great! They are growing in full sun and in an area that has fast draining gritty soil. Their airy foliage and tall flowers look great with other companion plants. They don’t over power their neighbors.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Yes, to your question..... flower budget cuts. A headline in the only news source. CDD 2 supervisor suggests cutting back on flowers to save money. "A Community Development District 2 supervisor has suggested cutting back 10 percent on flowers to save residents’ money on maintenance assessment fees.

Supervisor Bart Zoellner raised the idea Friday at the CDD 2 board meeting at Savannah Center. The board was discussing a proposed $1.5 million operating budget for the 2021-2022 fiscal year. The budget includes an 8 percent increase in maintenance assessment fees paid by residents."
Agreed and I have seen many times the round-a-bouts are SO OVERGROWN that they partially obscured the line-of-sight for the ONCOMING traffic (note : I always don't TRUST and VERIFY what the other drivers are doing). I have also observed oak tree branches partially obscuring stop signs and stoplights.
Also, I would prefer that that 10% flower deduction be applied toward cutting oak branches away from the power lines that can disrupt power during a hurricane or other wind storm!
Closed Thread

Tags
flowers, weeds, neighborhoods, year, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.