Flowers or weeds? Sad looking flowers around the common areas and roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 07:36 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Agreed and I have seen many times the round-a-bouts are SO OVERGROWN that they partially obscured the line-of-sight for the ONCOMING traffic (note : I always don't TRUST and VERIFY what the other drivers are doing). I have also observed oak tree branches partially obscuring stop signs and stoplights.
Also, I would prefer that that 10% flower deduction be applied toward cutting oak branches away from the power lines that can disrupt power during a hurricane or other wind storm!
Where are the power lines? I thought they were all underground. I haven't seen any power lines that are close to trees.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:42 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The economy did NOT just cycle NATURALLY and prices went up. It was the disease that has slowed down transportation - even goods from China, Mexico, and Canada. It was an UNnatural, outlier-type of event that affected the US and the world's Economy. It has affected even the cost of flowers and the manpower (people power) costs to change old ones and plant new ones.
I remember when they used to put flowers in the ponds at Turtle Mound and Sandhill.
I guess that was part of the cutbacks that went away...😔☹
Old 09-20-2021, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The tall ones look like thistle. Hard to tell with that shot though, they're too far away to see any details. Could be cynara or maybe basketflower. They're all very pretty, to me. I love wildflowers though.

If I were the landscaper, however, I'd put them in the middle of the garden, with shorter ones encircling it outward, to the shortest ones at the curb.
Thistle is considered noxious weed in a lot of states.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
A "weed" is loosely defined as "any plant that wasn't specifically and purposefully planted/grown by you or another human."

Wild rosebushes are weeds. Wild strawberries are weeds. An acorn abandoned by a squirrel that grows into an enormous oak tree in your back yard - started out as a weed.

A thistle, if planted on purpose, is not a weed.

In addition, I said it LOOKS LIKE a thistle. I also said it is pretty, whatever it is. My opinion doesn't change just because it's considered a "noxious" plant in some states. Lastly, I don't know what would be noxious about a thistle. The definition of "noxious:"
Quote:
harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant
(from the Oxford online dictionary).

Thistles are an important plant for ecology and the natural food chain, and is a significant source for pollinators.

The only "harmful" thing about them would be if you picked one up by its spines. You might prick your fingers. That's pretty much it. There's nothing else about it that is harmful, it's not poisonous to anyone or anything, and it's only unpleasant if you get a spine in your skin - otherwise, it's just a neutral, pretty-colored flower.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 09-20-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
A "weed" is loosely defined as "any plant that wasn't specifically and purposefully planted/grown by you or another human."

Wild rosebushes are weeds. Wild strawberries are weeds. An acorn abandoned by a squirrel that grows into an enormous oak tree in your back yard - started out as a weed.

A thistle, if planted on purpose, is not a weed.

In addition, I said it LOOKS LIKE a thistle. I also said it is pretty, whatever it is. My opinion doesn't change just because it's considered a "noxious" plant in some states. Lastly, I don't know what would be noxious about a thistle. The definition of "noxious:"
(from the Oxford online dictionary).

Thistles are an important plant for ecology and the natural food chain, and is a significant source for pollinators.

The only "harmful" thing about them would be if you picked one up by its spines. You might prick your fingers. That's pretty much it. There's nothing else about it that is harmful, it's not poisonous to anyone or anything, and it's only unpleasant if you get a spine in your skin - otherwise, it's just a neutral, pretty-colored flower.

Naturally it wouldn’t change you're mind. Aren’t all plants weeds? We just think some are prettier than others. Thistle can over run properties if not controlled (Killed) in some states you can be fined (probably just like J-walking) if you let thistle get out or control, it can take over whole pasture in few years making it useless. Course there are different varieties, thistle where I was raised was ugly obnoxious weed and as teenager I was paid by farmers to kill it.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
It’s not thistle.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:28 PM

The flowers near the Lopez area are very pretty. The bright pink flowers complement the yellow flowers. Beyond our area on the north end of TV, the flowers look like weeds and not very pretty.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

Gomphrena (Gomphrena Globosa Purple) - What a great addition to your flower garden! Globe Amaranth seeds readily produce these bright little golf ball-like blooms. They look so attractive on the bushy, well-branched plant that they're the perfect complement to everything else in the sunny garden. Butterflies will flock to the Gomphrena flowers, and they make an excellent cut flower for either fresh or dried arrangements.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Naturally it wouldn’t change you're mind. Aren’t all plants weeds? We just think some are prettier than others. Thistle can over run properties if not controlled (Killed) in some states you can be fined (probably just like J-walking) if you let thistle get out or control, it can take over whole pasture in few years making it useless. Course there are different varieties, thistle where I was raised was ugly obnoxious weed and as teenager I was paid by farmers to kill it.
"obnoxious" is not "noxious." You confused things by calling it a "noxious" weed. There's nothing noxious about it, however obnoxious it might be. It certainly would be an invasive plant, if not controlled.

But it's still pretty, and it is still NOT a weed if someone intentionally plants it.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Verbena is a great plant to have in any garden flower bed.
Attractive, tough as old boots, self seeding, adds height, and bees and butterflies love it.
We have always let it do its own thing and grow through the more formally planted annuals and perennials.
To much, or in wrong place? Pull it out.
No garden should be without it!
Old 09-22-2021, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Jimmie Rodgers - English Country Garden - YouTube
Old 09-22-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Very nice.
Bit carried away with some of the wildlife though!
The secret to great landscaping is get the heights right,
pack the plants in, and make it look as if the plants did it all themselves.
Closed Thread

Tags
flowers, weeds, neighborhoods, year, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.