FM Radio in Golf Cart

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2021, 12:39 PM
Default FM Radio in Golf Cart

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase a genuine Yamaha radio counsel that will encapsulate an FM radio and who can install the FM radio into a new Yamaha Quitetech Golf Cart? Link please Thanks
Old 09-21-2021, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase a genuine Yamaha radio counsel that will encapsulate an FM radio and who can install the FM radio into a new Yamaha Quitetech Golf Cart? Link please Thanks
I posted this comment on the thread for over priced carts when someone asked about installing a radio. I'll post here for you, maybe it will help some.

Quote:

eBay is full of overhead radio consoles for golf carts priced from about $80 for a empty console to about $169 to $450 for those with radios and speakers installed. Here's a link.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...nsole&_sacat=0

I wanted a CD player in mine and those with a CD are about $450 on eBay, so I bought a blank empty overhead console for about $80 on eBay, you'll see them at that link. I went to Walmart in Leesburg and bought a JVC radio AM/FM/CD for $79 and a pair of Pioneer speakers there for $42. Put the items in the console and attached it to the ceiling of my cart with 4 bolts I drilled through the roof. Bought a roof antenna on eBay for $17 and drilled a hole about a foot behind the radio and connected the antenna to the radio. Then ran two wires from the radio to my battery. I took the wires down one of the support posts behind my seat straight to the battery using tie-wraps. One wire was a negative and one to the positive. Took about two hours to install, I was taking my time. Here's a photo at the link.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f9&oe=616ED27A

The reason I have black duct tape above the radio is because there is about a 1/2" gap due to the curvature of the roof and I got a slight rattle when I turned the radio loud. I filled the gap with spray foam and to hide the ugliness of the foam, I put black duct tape over the foam.

I installed this about year ago and works perfect. Some say don't install a CD player it will skip, mine doesn't skip at all. You'll find radios with XM capability, I have XM in my car but I didn't want to spend $6 a month with XM for a second radio. I only drive my cart when I play golf.

The easiest way to get music to your cart is if you have a smart phone with unlimited data, just get a bluetooth speaker. I have a neighbor who runs Spotify or XM through a bluetooth, and he has a big boom box type bluetooth speaker mounted on the dash against the windshield and I can hear it at my house about 100' away.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,001 Times in 2,199 Posts

I doubt that you can install a radio in the dash if this is what you are looking for there would be lots of interference with cupholders, etc. All of the radios I have seen have been in overhead trays. There may well be some from yamaha for this purpose, but as very well stated this can be done relatively easily with after market equipment. I would go with marine grade radio as they tend to be water proof (or at least water resistant). I would also use a USB memory stick for your songs, and use your computer to copy songs from CD to memory stick in the appropriate format. I installed one of these for a friend that bought a kit, which was a heavy duty tray designed with openings for the included speakers and suitable mounting holes for the radio.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,566 Times in 922 Posts

Get a bluetooth speaker and stream it from your phone. Ask the grandkids how to do it.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Blue Tooth is the simple way to go. I posted above about neighbor, he has one the size of a boom box and it will blast. If are like me and the old fashion way of finding radio stations or playing CDs, you can't beat having a real radio.

Sorry Tinker, but there companies that make golf cart dashes with speaker and radio slots. Youtube is full of videos on installing the overhead console like I did and also the in dash units. The dash units are a whole new console made custom for the cart. I researched all of this last year before I installed my console.

Here are some radio dashes on eBay, cost about $220 plus your radio and speakers.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...vens&_osacat=0

Here's a guy on youtube lives in Dunedin, not the Village but the town 90 minutes away. He's was selling his cart I believe for $9,000, it's probably sold by now, but you can see how his dash looks, it's really nice. He apparently used one of those customized dashes.

2013 EZGO RXV Electric Golf Cart Fully Loaded, Street Legal, Must See... - YouTube
Old 09-21-2021, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,001 Times in 2,199 Posts

I like it when I get corrected. The golf cart did not look like a Yamaha but I will guess someone has figured out how to do it. IMHO, I still think the overhead is more cost effective, for a radio/CD install, and the bluetooth speakers for a sound system to stream music.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
I purchased a blue tooth speaker Amazon has a USB port for music input or blue tooth music from phone stream Sirius also has FM radio built-in https://www.amazon.com/Antimi-Blueto...=antimi&sr=8-3
Old 09-22-2021, 05:05 AM

I purchased a JBL clip speaker from Amazon for $40 and stream music from Pandora. I found that the best location for sound quality for the speaker was behind our heads so drilled a hole for an eye hook to clip the speaker to. Outstanding sound and simple install. Friends have liked it so much I did the same for two of them and three others are ordering the speakers now.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:18 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
[ATTACH]img_2541-jpg[/ATTACH]

My neighbors install custom radios with bluetooth and USB ports.
It's over your head so you can hear it much better than the ones mounted in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	90905  
Old 09-22-2021, 05:37 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Console.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:53 AM

Buggiesunlimited.com sells all sorts of accessories for all cart brands. You can get the whole radio kit for around $200
Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 AM

Get a blue tooth speaker and use your phone with a music app (xm, Amazon prime, etc) to listen to while you drive. I got a length of pvc and 2 brackets and put it up overhead behind the seats, ran a power cable through the pvc along the metal cart frame and plugged into the USB port in the glove box.

The speaker was $35, the pvc and clips $15 and the cable from Amazon $25. Took about an hour to do. You can paint the pvc black so it’s not as noticeable and can be easily cut to length.

Will be much cheaper than a radio and easier to control.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Here is what I bought for my golf cart . Easily fits the cup holder , water resistant and great sound.

Best part ? It doesn’t cost an arm and a leg !

Amazon.com

Last edited by jarodrig; 09-22-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:02 AM

Found an in dash radio for mine. Only problem is you loose the two back cup holders
Old 09-22-2021, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Save a bundle and listen to the people telling you to stream the music or talk show and the speaker can be brought anywhere not just in the golf cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
radio, yamaha, golf, cart, encapsulate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.