FM Radio reception - NPR specifically

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Gold member
Default FM Radio reception - NPR specifically

The thread on AM radio reception prompted this post.

I love to listen to NPR when sewing (I'm a quilter) or painting (not an artist, just have a couple of bathroom and bedroom painting projects I've been putting off.

I don't get good reception from either the Gainesville or Orlando public radio stations - one is 90.1, can't remember what the other is at the moment. With my radio just under the window I did get good reception one day only, but not the next (radio waves - atmospheric conditions)?. Does anyone who lives anywhere near Sabal Chase get good reception - which station and what brand radio?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Gold member

You can stream it live on your computer at:

WGCU Your Southwest Florida Source for Public Broadcasting
Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Sage

The only time I could receive FM at all was while driving in the car, not a convenient or economical way to listen to radio. We bought a cheap FM antenna at Radio Shack and my husband installed it in the attic. He ran the coax down to the Yamaha receiver and now NPR comes in loud and clear.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Default Podcast

You can stream direct from NPR.org. But did you ever consider subscribing to the Podcast. Then you can just listen to the shows you're interested in.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Gold member
Default These are good options

but the sound on my Macbook is not the greatest, and I have an Ipod, but hate being plugged up with ear things. I just want the radio to work! Don't want to have to think ahead, hook anything up, etc. Isn't there a radio that will get one of these stations?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:48 AM

If your radio has two screw attachments for an antenna on the back of the radio, go to Radio Shack and try one of these:

Dipole FM Antenna : Indoor Antennas | RadioShack.com

Less than 8 bucks and you can return it if it does not work.

FM signals are "directional". If you mount this little antenna on a wall that runs north/south and you can't receive the station you want, try it on a wall that runs east/west. Try to hide the antenna behind something, a headboard of a bed, up under your kitchen cabinets, whatever.

But bear in mind...if one station you like is, say, north of you and you set up your antenna for best reception on that station and another station is east or west of you, you probable won't get good reception on the east/west station.

Anyway, experiment with antenna placement for best results.

Oh also, inexpensive FM radios use the power cord as an antenna (No, really!). If you have one of these, try placing the cord in different positions.

Good luck....
Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entemedor View Post
If your radio has two screw attachments for an antenna on the back of the radio, go to Radio Shack and try one of these:

Dipole FM Antenna : Indoor Antennas | RadioShack.com

Less than 8 bucks and you can return it if it does not work.

FM signals are "directional". If you mount this little antenna on a wall that runs north/south and you can't receive the station you want, try it on a wall that runs east/west. Try to hide the antenna behind something, a headboard of a bed, up under your kitchen cabinets, whatever.

But bear in mind...if one station you like is, say, north of you and you set up your antenna for best reception on that station and another station is east or west of you, you probable won't get good reception on the east/west station.

Anyway, experiment with antenna placement for best results.

Oh also, inexpensive FM radios use the power cord as an antenna (No, really!). If you have one of these, try placing the cord in different positions.

Good luck....
Thank you - I will try these! Maybe that's why (the power cord as antenna) it worked one day and not the next - I did move the radio and cord around in between. Who knew? (Well, I guess YOU did).
Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Default Internet or wi fi radio

I solved the reception problem by purchasing an "internet radio" Along with solving the reception issues, I can listen to the "home town" NPR as well as other stations. I take it when we travel and always have NPR etc access. For those of us who like to listen to the radio we grew up with Fibber Magee and Molly, Dragnet etc, stations are available to listen to those programs. Lastly, I keep my French up as I listen to France 24.

I purchased the radio from C. Crane but I know they are available through Amazon. But watch out, it can become addictive.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Many npr stations provide live streams all day long. You can get small speakers to hook up to your Mac --- very inexpensive.

I am a Nipper --- a former employee in Washington, DC --- 28 years with npr.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

89.1 in addition to 90.1 both broadcasst out of Gainesville and the Nature Coasst.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Gold member

I've tried both stations - we seem to be in between. But - yesterday I experimented with the cord - does seem to get better in certain spots. The speakers are another option, but again, have to maneuver things around, etc. Not sure if I have the right screws for the antenna - might take the radio to Radio Shack and see what they say before I buy it.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Default Great antenna

Good evening all. First, thanks for being a fan of public radio. Since I just retired from 40+ years at public radio stations, most of it managing a network in Kansas, I thank you. Kansas is flat like Florida. We have many people on the edge of our coverage that want better reception. We've experimented with many, many antennas, and settled on one made by Terk that is powered. Radio Kansas Public Radio for Kansas

You can see what it looks like on the web page and I'm sure buy them on the internet elsewhere or actually from the station. We actually sell them near cost just as a service.

You MUST have an actual antenna connection on your radio. Not just the two wire thing for the dipole, but a true connector that looks like a cable TV screw in type. These should really work well for you, IF you have a stereo or other equipment with that connector. The much touted Bose Wave has that connector. Interesting thing. It is one of the most expensive radios on the market, and the sound quality is excellent. However, the Front End, which is radio talk for how well it receives distant signals is terrible. So this antenna will help.

Best of luck. Maybe if we succeed in moving to the Villages next year as we plan we can start a public station! I've built dozens of them.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM

Old Dave, I don't understand why one of the area stations doesn't put a repeater in TV. It would mean a lot more income for them. I lived in the DC area and WETA put a repeater in Hagerstown, MD, which was very successful.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM

As I said, I've built dozens of them, both for our own network and as a consultant for other stations. The single bigest problem is finding frequencies. The explosion of religious stations has pretty much filled up the protected band (88-92 MHz). Very hard to find one. And if you do now that congress has killed the federal funding program for equipment, PTFP, it is hard to build one. Last one I did 3 years ago was $750,000. Most of that came from federal and state funding. The state of Kansas has killed their funding also. Still, lots of people the right age and demographic to support it.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Gold member
Default Got it!

Thanks everyone, for your help. The radio is an old Panasonic boombox with a CD player, probably at least 15 yrs old, couldn't find antenna screws or the cable outlet, but when I tried propping the cord above the windowsill height, works pretty good! Who would thunk? Not me, without your input Entemedor. And Old Dave, I love public radio, feel much more informed about lots of things when I listen a lot, but I had just about given up on getting decent reception.

You guys are the greatest!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.