Follow-up on golf cart fire

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Sage
Smile Follow-up on golf cart fire

My curiosity got the best of me so I called the fire department on the 27th.. Thanks to a woman who works there, Darlene(?), I now know the date of the fire. She had to search back through a lot of records, which took a few days. The fire happened on March 31, 2010, at 5:19 p.m..

I also spoke to Lieutenant Lazenby who informed me that the golf cart was electric. When it's an electric, it's assumed that the fire was caused by a short in the wiring. Often, this is the result of golf cart owners making changes in the wiring by adding something (perhaps lights or radio?).

So, to answer bogie shooter's question, the behavior to be changed is this: Don't fool with the wiring if you don't know what you're doing. Your golf cart was designed a certain way to handle a certain amount of equipment. If you desire to add more equipment, get it done by a professional.

I learned that this was not the first such fire. There have been at least 12 in the past 4 to 5 years, according to Lieutenant Lazinby. It can happen anywhere while driving.

Reportedly, Chief Tucker has written several warnings about this in his newspaper column. I remember many warnings about smoke detectors, candles, and keeping legs inside golf carts while driving, but I don't remember any warning about golf cart fires that happen while driving. (I wonder if any of you remember.)

As far as gas carts, they have not been known to catch fire unless there's an accident (or incident?) that causes the gas tank to get punctured.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Sage

?

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.