On getting my first Covid19 shot

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2021, 01:15 PM
Default On getting my first Covid19 shot

When my wife and I left The Villages for Leesburg, I had a vague feeling of both dread and hope. We were both near 80 with “pre-existing conditions.” If Covid 19 got us, the odds are that one or both of us would die. In my car, I sensed relative security was only 20 minutes away.

The mall we went to is a seedy place. The Sears store where the shots were to be given would have been bustling 20 years ago. Now, with faded paint and pealing signs, the image was of an America in decline. The older adults, like us, making their way to the store, were gray and bald. Some walking. Some in wheelchairs or walkers.

Inside, the store bustled once again. Young men and women, firefighters, off-duty police, and nurses moved us from station, taking information, giving us our shots, and watching for reactions. These people were cheerful, and they exuded pride in their role in saving lives.

As we moved along, my gratitude for all the people that made this moment possible grew. The public health people at the CDC, the bureaucrats who hustled the science through, the scientists who broke records producing the vaccine in record time, and these people, going beyond to vaccinate so many strangers.

On the way home, my gratitude continued to grow. It extended to the businesses who enforce covid rules and to you. People who ignored the doubters. People who stayed inside and wore masks. You were protecting yourself. But you also recognized a responsibility to others.

All of us Americans working in concert saved my life. Thank you.

I have often wondered how during WWII, all Americans worked together to defeat a formidable enemy. I wondered if we still had that American spirit. I should have known. That spirit was working under my feet. I just failed to see it.

America is at war, and millions of Americans working as one are fighting and winning. This may sound patriotic. Maybe it is. A patriot is not a person who waves a flag. A patriot is a person who works together with his fellow man, acting as a single force for the good of all Americans. Patriots ignore the deniers and doubters.

I used to worry that we as a nation were too fractured to meet the challenges of a warming earth, deforestation, foreign enemies. I now feel confident that, with leadership that brings us together, rather than fracturing us along lines of race, religion, and ethnology, we can do anything that must be done.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:18 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Old 02-23-2021, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Beautiful words zendog3. Love your post and agree with you as far as the sacrifice and effort people made to get us that close to getting the shot.

I left the site in Leesburg and came home without my first shot. There was no organization whatsoever outside and I don't think they heard of Social Distancing. I couldn't bring myself to risk going into the building for an hour or more to wait for the shot. It was a madhouse the day I went. People were to close to one another. It was disgusting.

I hope everyone else who goes to this location has a much better experience than I did. Sometimes you just have to maker the rough call and do what you have to do.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 PM

I felt it was a safe and orderly experience for both my first and second shot and thank the people involved.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Beautiful words zendog3. Love your post and agree with you as far as the sacrifice and effort people made to get us that close to getting the shot.

I left the site in Leesburg and came home without my first shot. There was no organization whatsoever outside and I don't think they heard of Social Distancing. I couldn't bring myself to risk going into the building for an hour or more to wait for the shot. It was a madhouse the day I went. People were to close to one another. It was disgusting.

I hope everyone else who goes to this location has a much better experience than I did. Sometimes you just have to maker the rough call and do what you have to do.
We had our first shot about 10 days ago.

Outside there was an orderly line and unfortunately social distancing was not practiced however everyone wore a mask.

Inside they did a great job everyone separated and we felt very safe.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:47 PM
Veteran member

my wife and i went to the mall last thur., that place is a well run.in and out in about 30 min. that was my 1st shot.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:54 AM

My wife and I both had good experiences of four different occasions to get both us two shots. Each time it was orderly, quick, and well run. We were never there more than 35 mins, and that included the post shot waiting time. Social distance mostly happened. Lake County has it well organized...unlike the disappointing Sumter County.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:48 AM

Well, Nucky - Your attitude could not be anymore opposite than the original poster.

If only we could all have such a positive outlook on life as the initial poster of this thread - thank you!!!

I do not worry about what anyone else does - it just isn’t worth it - if someone decides not to wear a mask or not to distance - I have legs or a wheel chair or my walker and, if I feel threatened in any way- I am a big boy and I am mobile and I will move. I am responsible for my own actions and my own situations. I do not shame or chastise any one else for how they choose to live their lives.

Life is great!! With the right attitude!!! I choose to live life!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:03 AM

Thank you for an uplifting post!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:16 AM

Amen!!!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I went to the Sears store to get our first covid shot and will go tomorrow for the final. We did not find the store decrepit and seedy at all. It was organized and thought out all the way through. It was clean, well lighted, with clean restroom facilities available. Social distancing was recognized, and after the injection we were guided to an area where seating was set up spaced for us to wait the 15 minutes before leaving. Many helpful volunteers were there to help and answer questions. By the way, my wife was in a wheelchair because of recent surgery. Happy not in a muddy field, or chasing down the services and trying to find out where they are!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:50 AM

Wonderful post. Wish this could appear in every paper in the country. You made my day.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

What a lovely post. Thank you. I too have often thought with so much selfishness in America today, how would we withstand another world war. Now I know! 🇺🇸
Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 AM

We went there last Thursday. Walked in at 1:40 for our 2:15 & 3:15 appointments. Had vaccine in our arms by 1:48!!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:04 AM

My husband and I got our 2nd Pfizer shots at the Lake County mall in Leesburg. It was very well organized with lots of good help. Thankfully we had no side effects to either shot and are very greatful for being more protected as we know lots of Villagers who got pretty sick from it.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, americans, store, working, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.