Forwarding mail whom gone?

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Fourth, for mail that you expect to receive on a regular basis (e.g. credit cards, cable, utilities, bank statements) , use their company web site and change your address on their Profile page. That way, this mail will be sent directly to your new address and avoid the long forwarding lead time delay. Then, before you return, use the company web site and change your address back. End quote

In my opinion, if you are going to go into the company website to change your address this often, why not use the company’s paperless billing feature? Why get these items in the mail when you can see them easily online, and print for yourself the items you think you need a copy of? Save paper, time and stamps!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:33 AM

First off – nothing you do will work perfectly. I tried it all. We have a home in Alpharetta, GA and TV. My wife is a teacher and still working – hey, it’s not my idea! We come down to TV for about 10 days every other month (when she’s off), 14 days in December and 6 weeks in the summer. I can’t stand the freezing cold in GA in June and July so we rush to the more comfortable and warmer TV. With regards to the mail, the best so far for me, is to have my mail forwarded from TV to my home in Alpharetta. I’ll do that till we move to TV permanently. I do everything I can on-line through credit card and ETF. When we do come down I put the mail on-hold in Alpharetta. In the summer I do it for 3 weeks and 3 weeks. My neighbor is nice enough to get my mail and to check my mailbox occasionally to see if the PO delivered during the hold period. Unfortunately they almost always deliver a few pieces. I’m not concerned about any of the mail, just the fact that mail sitting in your mailbox may alert an unscrupulous person to the fact that you’re not there. I even got a PO Box at one point but they kept putting junk mail in my mailbox anyway, thus, defeating the purpose. So, do as much as you can on-line, put your mail on-hold and make amends with that neighbor you PO’d in the past and you should be good to go.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:44 AM

I forgot to mention in my points to remember for forwarding mail that even though you submit a forwarding request to the post office, in addition to the junk mail that won't be forwarded, they also do NOT forward certain financial related mail. For instance, some of the income tax statements are not forwarded (learned this the hard way when we first became snow birds). So these must either have the address changed on the company web site or you have to print on your computer. Also, new and reissued credit cards are not forwarded, even though they are mailed in a regular looking envelope. So if you are expecting newly issued credit cards or even new books of checks, you must use the web site to change your mailing address. Also remember, if you use a credit card web site, the new zip code is your address (we have a credit card that always requires me to enter my zip code at the pump when I get gas, and I have to remember which zip code to use).
Old 07-29-2020, 08:47 AM

We were wintering in St. Augustine for a couple of months each of the last 5 winters. I went online with all my bills and forwarded the other stuff. Had no problems until the last 2 years and this year was the worst! Even though the PO had the expire/cutoff date for forwarding mail, they continued to forward mail to FL after we went back to Wisconsin!! I was on the PO in both states trying to straighten things out. I was told by the worker at the PO in FL that "the forwarding system is broken." Great!! For my part, I wouldn't do it again. It was such a hassle this year! I'd either do the hold thing with someone picking up the delivered mail or try to find someone to pick it up for you (offer to pay them a few bucks or give them a gift card for doing it).
Old 07-29-2020, 09:11 AM

Get on the USPS web site. For $1 you can have your mail forwarded to your new address. They do not forward junk mail, or special items like an absentee ballot and some magazines will not get forwarded (I know Discover magazine is one of those). You st the start and end dates or you can turn it off by going back to the website. The $1 is to your credit card as a way for them to verify it is you. Alternatively have a neighbor pick it up.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 463 Posts

The post office sucks. I tried with the forwarding thing and it is not worth it. Have a neighbor or house watch person pick up your mail. Pay for all your bills on line.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:25 AM

Been forwarding for years. Don't forget to reverse that coming. Back
Old 07-29-2020, 10:59 AM

I forwarded mail for 21 years and had no problems with it. I found there was about one week delay in getting mail from Florida to Michigan so I would cut off forwarding one week before returning to Florida and have them hold my mail for that week. If my return time changed it was easy to change the dates for forwarding or holding on line with the USPS. I would also set up forwarding for 6 months upon leaving Michigan so any miscellaneous mail from Florida got sent back. I set all this up on-line and it is easy and flawless. I also found the USPS to be responsive to changes and there were no delays in executing them.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:50 PM

First off we travel by RV and are sometimes gone for 2 or 3 months so we do not have another address to forward mail to us on the road. We get a personal mail box(PMB) at the local UPS Store and have our mail forwarded to the PMB. We will call the UPS Store and they will let us know what is in our box and decide whether to have them mail it to us at our campground or to General Delivery in the city we are staying in. Of course there is a fee for all of this but it is the best way for us since we are traveling and not in any one place more than a week. In addition, we have as many of our bills paperless and on autopay as we can. We signed up for USPS Informed Delivery which sends us an email each day with images of mail coming to our mailbox and packages. This all has worked great for us until a credit card company decided to send us the usual privacy notice even though we had paperless billing and notified them we were traveling and the USPS returned the notice to them. The retuned notice prompted the credit card company to freeze our card. We found out when we were in Albuquerque and needed to buy 50 gallons of gas for the RV and the credit card would not work! Luckily we had other card to use until we could call and rectify the situation. So yes, the USPS will not forward financial mail.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:48 PM

Have a neighbor pickup and hold your mail, hopefully all your Bill's are auto pay, so all mail will just just.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
We are planning for TV bring our primary residence but maybe going back to Texas for 2 months around the holidays or a month in the summer etc. what is the best way to handle mail? Do you have the post office forward it or hold it? Thanks
We have our mail forwarded
Old 07-30-2020, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucatan2 View Post
Quote:

Fourth, for mail that you expect to receive on a regular basis (e.g. credit cards, cable, utilities, bank statements) , use their company web site and change your address on their Profile page. That way, this mail will be sent directly to your new address and avoid the long forwarding lead time delay. Then, before you return, use the company web site and change your address back. End quote

In my opinion, if you are going to go into the company website to change your address this often, why not use the company’s paperless billing feature? Why get these items in the mail when you can see them easily online, and print for yourself the items you think you need a copy of? Save paper, time and stamps!

bypass the 'snail mail' as much as you can....'go green' the OP obviously has access to a computer/internet. Receive as many bills online as possible....use your bank's 'bill payer' feature to pay your bills. It makes life simple, because can do it whenever you want to and you don't have to leave your home
Old 07-30-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
We are planning for TV bring our primary residence but maybe going back to Texas for 2 months around the holidays or a month in the summer etc. what is the best way to handle mail? Do you have the post office forward it or hold it? Thanks

We were snowbirds this past year from Illinois and had our mail forwarded and it was a disaster. Many items we never received, or for some reason were just not forwarded. Each post office (Illinois and Lady Lake blamed each other and the system) multiple phone calls were made for assistance always with a promise of a call back from a supervisor which never happened. We do have our bills set up for auto pay so we don’t get much important first class mail, yet it’s tax season. So next time we will be the $20 per week (just add that to our rent money) and be assured we will receive it all.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:20 AM
Default Forwarding mail

We live in NYC and we plan to move to TV probably next year. We would like to rent for 3 months before buying so does anyone know if TV has a general mail box that we could forward our mail to until we get a permanent address? We will of course be effectively of no fixed abode for 3 months as we will sell up in NYC before we move. All advice would be welcome
Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 AM

To Kevenhoi. When we rented homes here in The Villages, we rented a post box for 3 months and that gave us an address to use for forwarding mail. You can rent a box at one of the post offices, but typically they aren't very close to your home. We rented from what was then called Pack & Ship (now called Safe Ship) in the Southern Trace shopping center, and I think most of the shopping centers around The Villages have similar stores (e.g. the UPS store or Safe Ship) that offer this service so they are usually close by your rental home. One of the nice things about using the service from the stores is you get to use the street address of the store so that you can also receive items from UPS and FedEx. As I recall, when we received a bigger items, they left a note in our mail box that they were holding a package for us. Seemed to work really well.
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, office, month, summer, hold

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.