Found this on YouTube

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default Found this on YouTube - A must see!

It is too cool!

Original Promo Video for The Villages Florida - YouTube

You're welcome!

Last edited by eweissenbach; 12-07-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran member

Very cool!
Old 12-07-2018, 06:27 AM
Platinum member

Wow - what a great old ad and piece of history. Thanks for posting. $65.00 per night LSV at the Hacienda Hotel. Limousine picked you up at the airport and when you arrived the amount you paid was exchanged for the same amount of "Village Dollars". Free complementary breakfast. The Alameda 2B/2b priced in $mid-thrties. Designer homes in the $low-fifties to $low-seventies. Want a pool? Add $9,000. Those were the days.

Fun seeing Chi Chi Rodriguez (who is 83 today) as a young man playing golf.

I was very surprised that this youtube ad has only 400+ views!

Last edited by BK001; 12-07-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you. Fun to watch.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 AM

Loved it but curious about what happened to the family. Lots of names and faces that I didn't recognize.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Really, really cool! Thank you
Old 12-07-2018, 09:09 AM

What year was that??
Old 12-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage

I'm guessing late 80s, but I will defer to more accomplished historians. It was obviously right after they crossed 441 and before the golf cart bridge or Spanish Springs were constructed. It appears that there was a more even split of responsibilities among Mr. Schwartz offspring at the time. It would be interesting to know the backstory of how everything evolved into Gary and his children as the "Developer".
Old 12-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Gotta love it, Thanks : )
Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

For those of us interested in the history of The Villages I have to wonder why the Morse family hasn't made videos like this readily available for viewing? I would have to think there has to be many more stored away somewhere documenting the development & growth of TV over the years. Let's see them!

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 12-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
For those of us interested in the history of The Villages I have to wonder why the Morse family hasn't made videos like this readily available for viewing? I would have to think there has to be many more stored away somewhere documenting the development & growth of TV over the years. Let's see them!
Not to speculate or cast aspersions, but it may be because they don't really want to share things that feature family members who no longer are involved in the development. There may have been some "palace intrigue" involved and some hard feelings. Again, that is pure speculation, but it is interesting that the Gary Morse tree is credited with founding TV along with Harold, while this video would seem to imply that it was a more widespread family venture in the beginning.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Sage

Just rewatched with my wife and caught the couple that won the lottery saying they had moved there in 1979 and had been there almost 12 years. That would make it produced in 1990 or 91.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
They did. When or whether they stopped I have no idea.

In 2003 when I saw their ad on television. I sent for the video. The disc arrived with a portfolio of all the details and layouts of every type of home that was available for purchase those days. I said to my wife, if the actual location was even close to the video...that is where we were going to buy.

A few weeks later we did the visitors weekend...$25 per night in one of the villas near the old sales center parking lot. Also got a bunch of Villages bucks and a dinner for two at the Cattlemen's club.

We had a lot picked out (October 2003). Closing date of May 15, 2004....moved in September 2015.

And if I just did the visit recently I would do the same thing again!!

PS....I am actually surprised at the thus far limited response to the video which I think is very entertaining. Puts a face with the name Swartz. So nice to see Gary and Sharon Morse. Mark and Jennifer were just youngsters. I thought more folks would be entertained/enlightened as well.

Last edited by billethkid; 12-07-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Thank for the video. We are almost certain we saw the house we live in today on the video. Just Fantastic Thank You.

A while back Manabouttown posted this which is fun to watch also. there is a part 1 & part 2. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZH_WTRVNU]Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo The Beginning Part I - Can't seem to come up with Part 2 but it there somewhere. Enjoy.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

We've visited TV several times since the first time in 2012,and while we still don't live there (yet) I feel like I know quite a bit about it. But a few things stood out in the video that I hope someone can answer my questions about. I guess WOBG tv station went by the wayside at some point? La Plaza Grande shopping center today isn't anything like what is shown in the video, is it? Where was the Fiesta Bowl bowling alley? Was it done away with once Spanish Springs town center was built? Does La Hacienda Hotel still exist, or did it go away at some point? TIA.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Closed Thread

Tags
cool, youtube, found

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.