Found this on YouTube

Found this on YouTube

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 12-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Sage

Location: Smithville (Kansas City) Mo./ Megan Villas, Sanibel TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
For those of us interested in the history of The Villages I have to wonder why the Morse family hasn't made videos like this readily available for viewing? I would have to think there has to be many more stored away somewhere documenting the development & growth of TV over the years. Let's see them!
Not to speculate or cast aspersions, but it may be because they don't really want to share things that feature family members who no longer are involved in the development. There may have been some "palace intrigue" involved and some hard feelings. Again, that is pure speculation, but it is interesting that the Gary Morse tree is credited with founding TV along with Harold, while this video would seem to imply that it was a more widespread family venture in the beginning.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Sage

Just rewatched with my wife and caught the couple that won the lottery saying they had moved there in 1979 and had been there almost 12 years. That would make it produced in 1990 or 91.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
For those of us interested in the history of The Villages I have to wonder why the Morse family hasn't made videos like this readily available for viewing? I would have to think there has to be many more stored away somewhere documenting the development & growth of TV over the years. Let's see them!
They did. When or whether they stopped I have no idea.

In 2003 when I saw their ad on television. I sent for the video. The disc arrived with a portfolio of all the details and layouts of every type of home that was available for purchase those days. I said to my wife, if the actual location was even close to the video...that is where we were going to buy.

A few weeks later we did the visitors weekend...$25 per night in one of the villas near the old sales center parking lot. Also got a bunch of Villages bucks and a dinner for two at the Cattlemen's club.

We had a lot picked out (October 2003). Closing date of May 15, 2004....moved in September 2015.

And if I just did the visit recently I would do the same thing again!!

PS....I am actually surprised at the thus far limited response to the video which I think is very entertaining. Puts a face with the name Swartz. So nice to see Gary and Sharon Morse. Mark and Jennifer were just youngsters. I thought more folks would be entertained/enlightened as well.

Last edited by billethkid; 12-07-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Sage

Thank for the video. We are almost certain we saw the house we live in today on the video. Just Fantastic Thank You.

A while back Manabouttown posted this which is fun to watch also. there is a part 1 & part 2. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZH_WTRVNU]Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo The Beginning Part I - Can't seem to come up with Part 2 but it there somewhere. Enjoy.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:08 PM

We've visited TV several times since the first time in 2012,and while we still don't live there (yet) I feel like I know quite a bit about it. But a few things stood out in the video that I hope someone can answer my questions about. I guess WOBG tv station went by the wayside at some point? La Plaza Grande shopping center today isn't anything like what is shown in the video, is it? Where was the Fiesta Bowl bowling alley? Was it done away with once Spanish Springs town center was built? Does La Hacienda Hotel still exist, or did it go away at some point? TIA.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 12-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Thank for the video. We are almost certain we saw the house we live in today on the video. Just Fantastic Thank You.

A while back Manabouttown posted this which is fun to watch also. there is a part 1 & part 2. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZH_WTRVNU]Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo The Beginning Part I - Can't seem to come up with Part 2 but it there somewhere. Enjoy.
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZH_WTRVNU

Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo - The Beginning Part 2.wmv - YouTube

By the way I loved the Villages video which I had not seen. Thank you OP!

IMHO it showed the incredible vision and well thought out planning 'the developers' used to create and grow The Villages.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Here you go:

Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo The Beginning Part I - YouTube

Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo - The Beginning Part 2.wmv - YouTube

By the way I loved the Villages video which I had not seen. Thank you OP!

IMHO it showed the incredible vision and well thought out planning 'the developers' used to create and grow The Villages.
Thank You, Sir. Wish I knew how to do that. I have watched your video several times a year and don't take it as competition to The Villages because I have met several people who have moved from The Webb Community to ours. Glad you fixed it up for us. Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

You are most welcome, Nucky!

These videos make some great points and warm my heart.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
They did. When or whether they stopped I have no idea.

In 2003 when I saw their ad on television. I sent for the video. The disc arrived with a portfolio of all the details and layouts of every type of home that was available for purchase those days. I said to my wife, if the actual location was even close to the video...that is where we were going to buy.

A few weeks later we did the visitors weekend...$25 per night in one of the villas near the old sales center parking lot. Also got a bunch of Villages bucks and a dinner for two at the Cattlemen's club.

We had a lot picked out (October 2003). Closing date of May 15, 2004....moved in September 2015.

And if I just did the visit recently I would do the same thing again!!

PS....I am actually surprised at the thus far limited response to the video which I think is very entertaining. Puts a face with the name Swartz. So nice to see Gary and Sharon Morse. Mark and Jennifer were just youngsters. I thought more folks would be entertained/enlightened as well.
I have watched it twice since I discovered it last night. I find it extremely fascinating for a few reasons:

In contemporary Villages history Gary Morse is portrayed as the savior of TV while Harold is portrayed as a glad handing old man strolling around the community and the square greeting visitors and residents. This makes it appear that he was still quite involved and the head of the organization in the early nineties.

All of the previous history I have read barely mentions, or completely ignores, the other members of the family which were obviously intimately involved at the time of this video.

The prices of the homes seem insanely reasonable for that period of time. (I bought a nice, but not extravagant home in Fargo in 1989 for $180K and a smaller home in St. Paul In 1994 for $140K.)

What the hell ever happened to Uncle Bob and Aunt Connie?

The victors, as they say, write the history!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:43 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for sharing.

Tags
cool, youtube, found