Found this on YouTube

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

I just tried to open it and it says video no longer available due to copyright by TV of Lady Lake
Old 12-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Oldie (Dec. 1996) found on the wayback machine site ->The Villages
Same site (Feb. 2000) -> Designer Homes
and from (Aug. 2005) -> Welcome to The Villages - The retirement lifestyle you've been dreaming about
one more Feb 2009 -> The Villages - Lifestyle

Last edited by twoplanekid; 12-12-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'm O.K. with it, not that it matters but does anyone know why they wouldn't want this to be seen. It was fantastic.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

My guess is the copyright/trademark/trade name ownership entity of 'The Villages' assiduously polices its intellectual property.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I'm O.K. with it, not that it matters but does anyone know why they wouldn't want this to be seen. It was fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
For those of us interested in the history of The Villages I have to wonder why the Morse family hasn't made videos like this readily available for viewing? I would have to think there has to be many more stored away somewhere documenting the development & growth of TV over the years. Let's see them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Not to speculate or cast aspersions, but it may be because they don't really want to share things that feature family members who no longer are involved in the development. There may have been some "palace intrigue" involved and some hard feelings. Again, that is pure speculation, but it is interesting that the Gary Morse tree is credited with founding TV along with Harold, while this video would seem to imply that it was a more widespread family venture in the beginning.
What happened to Uncle Bob and Aunt Connie?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
What happened to Uncle Bob and Aunt Connie?
Are you possibly asking about Karnie?

Harold and wife Bernice had a daughter Karen (Karnie) Schwartz-Hicks. According to an Ocala Star-Banner article written when Harold died in 2003, she precede Harold in death.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

This is the video that convinced us to move here!

What It's Like To Live In A Retirement Community (The Villages, Florida) - YouTube
Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 PM

I think it's totally tragic that they removed this video??? I/we are about to buy/move there(just spent 2 1/2 months there), and love to see/hear the nostalgia? What is there to hide??? Just sad!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

'They' may or may not be 'hiding' anything but they appear to be protecting their intellectual property.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,502 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
I think it's totally tragic that they removed this video??? I/we are about to buy/move there(just spent 2 1/2 months there), and love to see/hear the nostalgia? What is there to hide??? Just sad!
????

This reminds me of people protesting when the buffalo went away. Things change.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
????

This reminds me of people protesting when the buffalo went away. Things change.
Apples and Oranges! The bison were determined to be a liability risk and they were a tangible asset to many residents. This video is simply a piece of nostalgia and something they used in marketing the development many years ago. I know of your devotion to the developers and I agree for the most part - they have created a wonderful place and done it better than anyone who ever tried before. However, they are human beings and thus imperfect, as are we all. I see no reason that they would pull this other than they want to preserve the narrative about how it all came to be. That narrative seems to be that Harold was a man with little vision, but to have a nice trailer park in order to get rid of land he owned, when son Gary came in and he along with his family, transformed it into the amazing place it has become. By the time this video was made the narrative seems to be that Harold was no more than the glad handing elder statesman, and not the driving force he appears to be in the video. No mention is made of Harold's daughter and her husband, who seem to be a pretty vital force in the development at that time according again to the video. It doesn't bother me that they seem to want this hidden, it's there property, but I sense a bit of overreach in maintaining control over the "story". I was excited when I found this and wanted to share it because I thought it was great fun to look back at the "early days" and see how things, and prices, had changed. For some reason the developers don't see it that way and that is too bad.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

It is a shame they had to pull the video. It is history. Oh well.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Sage

Yes, too bad. I suppose it proves that they monitor TOTV.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Yes, too bad. I suppose it proves that they monitor TOTV.
I suppose the could but suggest they do not.
It could have been as simple as someone sending to a Morse family member like many of us did to ours.

What has become apparent over the 15 years we have been here is the long arm of the legal support TV has and how many things have changed for liability, copyright/etc.
Liability concerns made the buffalo go, and the new years eve celebration at the squares/etc.
It happens to every small or family entity that grows and takes on a legal staff....that has to earn it's billing hours.

Yes it is a shame they have decided for legal reasons to pull the video. For practical reasons there was no threat from those of us who enjoyed it and wanted to share it.

An unfortunate reality of the time and day we live in.
Closed Thread

Tags
cool, youtube, found

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.