Frame vs. Block?

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Frame vs. Block?

I would like some feedback on the pros and cons of buying a frame home with siding vs. a block and stucco built home. I have read of buyers having problems with warranty claims on the frame homes with siding issues. Now with the block homes there is an issue of painting. How often will a block home require painting and what is the cost.

What are your experiences?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Eternal Member
Default I bought a block house

I can give you some of the pros and cons of buying a block house - but understand I kind of went into the process with my mind already made up as Mrs StevefromNY and I always thought of a "Florida house" as a being concrete.

But trying to be objective:
Block cost a little more ($10K when I bought mine)
Insurance is supposed to be less expensive or a block house (do a search).
Yeah you have paint block every seven years or so (so I've heard from neighbors)
It's less likely to be damaged by wind (siding can blow off)
Both need regular pressure washing (annual?)
Block needs to be inspected for cracks regularly (especially near windows)

If you're trying to build a business case, I'd bet insurance cost will ultimately trump painting making the block cheaper in the long run. Don't know what payback period would be.

I know I didn't answer your questions completely, especially how much painting costs, but the labor is reasonable in FL (compared to NY anyway) and the house is a single floor, so I suspect it will not be an unreasonable cost to paint. I am constantly surprised how many labor related items seem very low too me, like lawn services for instance.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Sage
Default fl labor

The costs of labor in florida are so low because it is a right to work state, which precludes the establishment of labor unions. Unoins in other areas keep living standards and wages higher. The other influence is a high percentage of undocumented workers working for cash, which also keeps wages low. When you hire someone to work on your home, you should ask for a copy of their workers compensation insurance certificate. This assures that all workers are covered, and may help you avoid liability claims if there is an injury on your property.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Veteran member
Default CBS for me

Having experienced Hurricane Andrew on Aug. 23, 1992 when I lived in Miami-Dade County, I would not want to live anywhere in Florida in a home that is not CBS, for my own peace-of-mind
Old 10-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Eternal Member

Here is a previous discussion on this subject:

Concrete Block/Stucco (CBS) vs. Frame/Vinyl Siding

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Platinum member

Hawkwind:

I'll add that the extra cost for block/stucco on my Gardenia was less than $5,000 back in late 2004. Having lived in a brick home practically forever before I came here, I frankly never even considered frame.

But, I also had that image that Florida homes are either block, or manufactured (i.e., mobile) or high-rise condos on the beach!

And, certainly I felt and feel safer in block. That said, every home here has a roof that is of simple frame construction. So, should we have a hurricane or Heaven Forbid another tornado, the roof might disappear even while the walls may stay.

IMHO: GO BLOCK!

SWR
Old 10-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Red face Block vs frame house

We chose a block house for stability in this hurrician prone state. I painted it myself after 4 years based on my belief that the builders do a mininal job. After 5 more years I had it painted again by a professional and will not paint again for many years.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Banned

It's getting to be like the difference between a blue sedan or a red convertible - often a matter of personal choice rather than engineering.

We purchased our CYV based on preferred location, and it just happened to be frame. After living in FL for a couple-decades-plus, block construction didn't seem that important anymore.

The construction standards have radically changed in the Post-Hurricane-Andrew age, mainly due to mandates from the insurance industry. These changes have really made a difference in both house stability and cost (higher now), and a walk-through any unit during various construction phases will bear that out.

These are a couple of web sites with information about the FL Building Code. They have the technical information for anyone with concerns about construction standards.

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/2004_...FL_%20Bldg.pdf

http://www.floridabuilding.org/c/default.aspx

Hope this helps...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

Better yet, Try From Wall.. Most of the Villa units are solid wall ""Form Wall" they are starting to do some of the designers in form wall. A metal form is put around the slab then it is pumped solid. Will save on energy a whole bunch. Alot more wind resistant also. Not sure of the price difference but one strong house. Walls are solid not real pourus like block. The Family Unit Bison Valley has a few of them also. Hoped that helps some
Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Eternal Member
Default You Are Right About That....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
It's getting to be like the difference between a blue sedan or a red convertible - often a matter of personal choice rather than engineering.
Given the codes are all "Hurricane Rated", it really is just a matter of personal preference. I don;t think either decision can be faulted.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Exclamation

I apologize to all that have read my post on this thread. It was a response to an issue that didn't belong here.

Gnu

"When you're right you can afford to keep your temper and when you're wrong you can't afford to loose it"

Last edited by gnu; 10-22-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Because of the termites and various bugs/insects, and the fact that we wanted a courtyard villa, we went with concrete block and stucco. As little wood as possible is best in our opinion. Now they tell us a new type of termite is invading Florida and it makes us even happier that we went with CBS.

We had vinyl siding up in Virginia and just before we sold, some of our neighbors became overwhelmed with termites.

You just never know.

Good luck in making your decision.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Veteran member

I'd like to purchase a CBS home, but have some questions.

1) I've read that CBS homes need to be repainted ~ every 7 years. Is this correct?

2) Approximately how much does it cost to paint the exterior of a CBS home ~1,600 sqft?

3) Although you have a CBS home, do you still have the treatments for termites?

4) Is moisture retention/mold more of a problem with CBS homes?

I'd appreciate any info CBS owners are willing to share. THANKS!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 AM
Veteran member

the papers i got for my house said they recommend painting it 3-5 years,,,
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The frame houses of the same floor plan for some strange reason are a little larger inside. Go figure.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.