Fraudulent SIM swaps.

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2021, 01:47 PM
Default Fraudulent SIM swaps.

PSA: There is an ongoing issue with fraudulent SIM swaps going on with the phone carriers. Mostly it's an inside job where underpaid employees are taking money from hackers to swap your phone number to a different SIM card, then they have access to all your 2 step authentication accounts like financial institutions. So hackers just hit the “forgot password” button and banks sends verification code via text which the hacker now has access to.

Another fraud method is to go into the store and convince or bride an employee to add new phones to your account and swap your number to the new phones that thieves walk out the door with.

Some may remember the recent T-Mobile data breach in which millions of customers had everything from their driver's license to SS numbers compromised. Thieves use this information to bypass the ID security checks online and also gain access to your accounts.

It seems hackers are targeting people who have Crypto, they get past the verification with the SIM swap then either drain your Crypto or transfer money from your bank account and turn it into Crypto. If you are involved with Crypto don’t share that online like social media.

One way to protect yourself is to get rid of TEXT/SMS-based verification on all your accounts. Select Email instead for your 2 step verifications as the hacker would also need your Email credentials to access your account. Also, you can use an app-based authentication like Google Authentication.

Another way to protect yourself is by contacting your carrier and adding a lock for SIM transfers, although corrupt employees can still bypass this.

Another option is to go prepaid which doesn't require an SS number and thieves can’t charge new phones to your account.

I offer this information as I just saw a buddy get wiped out of his entire life savings and T-Mobile or Chase will not take any responsibility. Their response is to call the police.

I know most of you are aware of this but for those that don't, I hope it's helpful as we live in crazy times.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
PSA: There is an ongoing issue with fraudulent SIM swaps going on with the phone carriers. Mostly it's an inside job where underpaid employees are taking money from hackers to swap your phone number to a different SIM card, then they have access to all your 2 step authentication accounts like financial institutions. So hackers just hit the “forgot password” button and banks sends verification code via text which the hacker now has access to.

Another fraud method is to go into the store and convince or bride an employee to add new phones to your account and swap your number to the new phones that thieves walk out the door with.

Some may remember the recent T-Mobile data breach in which millions of customers had everything from their driver's license to SS numbers compromised. Thieves use this information to bypass the ID security checks online and also gain access to your accounts.

It seems hackers are targeting people who have Crypto, they get past the verification with the SIM swap then either drain your Crypto or transfer money from your bank account and turn it into Crypto. If you are involved with Crypto don’t share that online like social media.

One way to protect yourself is to get rid of TEXT/SMS-based verification on all your accounts. Select Email instead for your 2 step verifications as the hacker would also need your Email credentials to access your account. Also, you can use an app-based authentication like Google Authentication.

Another way to protect yourself is by contacting your carrier and adding a lock for SIM transfers, although corrupt employees can still bypass this.

Another option is to go prepaid which doesn't require an SS number and thieves can’t charge new phones to your account.

I offer this information as I just saw a buddy get wiped out of his entire life savings and T-Mobile or Chase will not take any responsibility. Their response is to call the police.

I know most of you are aware of this but for those that don't, I hope it's helpful as we live in crazy times.
Interesting But, "Underpaid employees taking money from hackers," is what I disagree with. The amount someone is paid has nothing to do with the proper term THIEVES.

As far as the carrier accepting responsibility, and saying call the police. Welcome to the computer age. . Wrestling with computers. I had four issues trying to reason with computers. Far more effort than I should have taken. Months of banging my head against the wall. The solution in each case was to with much struggle to find a HUMAN.

Computers, the best one is at ATT. You can have a conversation with this monster.

You cannot function without a computer. Companies, the world will not allow you to.
The price we pay is privacy and loss of security.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post

First thing I would do is get rid of chase, and Dimon is a big liberal supporter. I told them to F off after 45 years, when they admitted to be the watch dog for the federal government, good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
sim, account, access, crypto, accounts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.