Why so many obese Villagers ???

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 10:24 AM
Default Why so many obese Villagers ???

Like most living here in The Villages, I'm recently retired, older and trying my best to stay healthy to try to stick around this great world for as long as possible.

Unfortunately, I have noticed during my short period living here, that many villagers are out of shape, obese, some morbidly obese, physically inactive and generally disgruntled with life in general.

On my most recent trip to Publix by the new bridge, I witnessed a couple from the villages (they left in a golf cart) while checking-out purchasing ""ALOT"" of ice cream, doughnuts, regular soda, bags of candies, bread, sugar cookies, crackers, chips and not one piece of fruit or a non-sugar product. Additionally this couple both weighed in over 300 pounds each!!! I felt almost compelled to re-direct this couple to rethink their food purchases in the same way I would help prevent a person that is attempting suicide.

I understand loosing weight is VERY difficult, but why destroy the remaining years of your life!!!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
Like most living here in The Villages, I'm recently retired, older and trying my best to stay healthy to try to stick around this great world for as long as possible.

Unfortunately, I have noticed during my short period living here, that many villagers are out of shape, obese, some morbidly obese, physically inactive and generally disgruntled with life in general.

On my most recent trip to Publix by the new bridge, I witnessed a couple from the villages (they left in a golf cart) while checking-out purchasing ""ALOT"" of ice cream, doughnuts, regular soda, bags of candies, bread, sugar cookies, crackers, chips and not one piece of fruit or a non-sugar product. Additionally this couple both weighed in over 300 pounds each!!! I felt almost compelled to re-direct this couple to rethink their food purchases in the same way I would help prevent a person that is attempting suicide.

I understand loosing weight is VERY difficult, but why destroy the remaining years of your life!!!

You had better duck your head!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:39 AM
John41

Quote:

I think Villagers are in better shape than most people their age. The real worry is obese young people.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Do not judge. But for the grace of God, go I. You have not walked in their shoes. I don't think I would like you if we met.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:

I think u should MYOB, I don’t know about anyone else BUT I don’t spend my time In Publix scanning others carts or skulking around to see what vehicles they are leaving in.
Unless u are their primary. IF NOT MYOB. If you’re an owner of one of the weight loss centers (drumming up clients) I would think Publix would not be pleased.
Maybe u should totally humiliate people by bringing them to the scale at the Southern Trace Publix and have them get on it so everyone can shake their heads at them in disgust.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

I'm guessing someone was there to buy prunes. That person may be healthy but...... doesn't have a life?
Old 10-18-2020, 10:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

People..................don't fall for Pot-Stirring posts.

There are old posters with new sign-ons who love to share their sad lives.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

oh great, now we have 'the grocery cart' police living among us
Old 10-18-2020, 11:08 AM
Sage

The Villages ... where the women can't get pregnant and the men look like they are!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

the thread of silly nonsense. i'm hoping a kindly moderator will happen along & close it, due to superiority factor & as said before, pot stirring. Happy Sunday, all~!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie1950 View Post
I think u should MYOB, I don’t know about anyone else BUT I don’t spend my time In Publix scanning others carts or skulking around to see what vehicles they are leaving in.
Unless u are their primary. IF NOT MYOB. If you’re an owner of one of the weight loss centers (drumming up clients) I would think Publix would not be pleased.
Maybe u should totally humiliate people by bringing them to the scale at the Southern Trace Publix and have them get on it so everyone can shake their heads at them in disgust.
Sorry mate, I'm not a dosser, but when I see a person in need (such as the couple in Publix), I feel obligated to assist. Looking the other way may be easier than MYOB, but
diabetes, heart disease and cancer are unfortunately very prevalent among the older population """ESPECIALLY""" when one is morbidly obese...Enjoy life, collect your pension and social security for as long as possible and stay in shape...
Old 10-18-2020, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

I find OP’s comment funny. Any other time I might consider it more seriously, but during Covid? No one knows if they will get it, it takes you out in a month or so. So why not eat happily (if that’s what helps your mental health) until we get a vaccine? My hubby just promised to learn to bake custard squares for me so he doesn’t have to go outside to purchase them under these circumstances. I’ll learn how to make smoked ribs for him on our slow Webber smoker in return. And I am well within my normal weight.

I understand you need to be physically healthy, but you also need to be mentally healthy to want to be alive in the first place.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Veteran member

Ah, cacomorphobia. Irrational fear of fat people. Unless one's concern for the health of strangers also prompts them to confront smokers, drinkers, drug users,and speeders, I'm going with that.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:46 AM

You have no idea how wonderful we all feel that God sent you here to tell us how to live and eat. Many of us actually thought that having excellent health care available, and all the opportunities for fun and exercise here, that we could be as healthy as we personally choose. Thank you so much, and please enjoy your mission. I, for one, feel so happy that you can enlighten us!
----Please pass the chips.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:

I don't think it would be possible to "re-direct" these people. They know what they weigh and why. It is their personal choice.
Closed Thread

Tags
couple, obese, life, living, villagers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.