Freezing pipes

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Sage

enclose what you want to protect with a 60 w light bulb-you'll be good to go (work light)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Freezing pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
When I move to Paradise many years ago I thought my worrying about freezing pipes were over. if it's going to be this cold I may as well shovel snow. I should have rented one month in January before I bought. No I'm not going to leave I'll just pass it on how cold it is in January in The Villages and make sure you bring your winter gear with you if you plan on visiting

So you think a week or 10 days of cold weather is worth shoveling snow and living with months of winter!! Never!!!

We arrived down here looking for our home on Jan 6 or 7 LAST YEAR and the first morning it was like it is today. I wanted to sell the house we hadn't moved into yet. After a few days it was all forgotten. [emoji3][emoji3]

---------
My user name should be EdF(formerly from)NJ and glad to be gone. [emoji3]
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I am glad to see that you have some understanding of wind chill. However, why you would set your freeze protection device to come on at 39F and then indicate you did this to allow for wind chill is a mystery. You don't need to allow for wind chill. Now, there can be some issues with evaporative cooling and shallow water depths but that would also require a large dew point depression.
The only time I ever had a pipe freeze was when there was a strong wind blowing against a building I owned. It cooled down the pipe in the exterior wall overnight and the pipe froze. Without the wind, I think the morning temperature increase would have prevented the freezing. So, I think that the wind chill can be a factor in pipes freezing.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Sage

The wind can impact the time rate of change of temperature but not the temperature itself. Wind chill is a very specific biological concept - it refers to the perception of temperature by skin. If the temperature is above freezing, no amount of wind will cause pipes to freeze. Using the term "wind chill" with inanimate objects makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The only time I ever had a pipe freeze was when there was a strong wind blowing against a building I owned. It cooled down the pipe in the exterior wall overnight and the pipe froze. Without the wind, I think the morning temperature increase would have prevented the freezing. So, I think that the wind chill can be a factor in pipes freezing.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

An overnight temp of 25F with no wind might not freeze a pipe because the building it is in can retain it temp above 32F all night.

But a 25F and a 10mph wind could make the building lose heat fast enough to freeze pipes before the morning warming heats it up again.

So the lower the equivalent chill temp is the more likely pipes will freeze.

The original chill index was made by measuring how long it took for a bottle of water to freeze for a given temperature and wind speed.

Wind chill - Wikipedia
Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

I'm over by Southern Trace in a house built in 1984, and the only thing we do is cover the outside faucets.

My metabolism isn't everyone's, but just to represent the minority viewpoint ... I love the (relatively) cold temps! I've been here 8 years and have never used the furnace. It's currently 55 degrees inside and I'm quite comfortable in shorts and a fleece top. Fresh and brisk!

(The summers, however, are Not My Jam.)
Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
An overnight temp of 25F with no wind might not freeze a pipe because the building it is in can retain it temp above 32F all night.

But a 25F and a 10mph wind could make the building lose heat fast enough to freeze pipes before the morning warming heats it up again.

So the lower the equivalent chill temp is the more likely pipes will freeze.

The original chill index was made by measuring how long it took for a bottle of water to freeze for a given temperature and wind speed.

Wind chill - Wikipedia
Absolutely, you are correct. The wind is a huge factor to consider when trying to prevent pipes from freezing, especially with changing temperatures. That is why they sell insulation covers for outside hose bibbs. The insulation slows down heat transfer by induction, and also serves as a wind blocker and prevents the hose bibb from freezing by convection.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I'm over by Southern Trace in a house built in 1984, and the only thing we do is cover the outside faucets.

My metabolism isn't everyone's, but just to represent the minority viewpoint ... I love the (relatively) cold temps! I've been here 8 years and have never used the furnace. It's currently 55 degrees inside and I'm quite comfortable in shorts and a fleece top. Fresh and brisk!

(The summers, however, are Not My Jam.)
Yikes!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:59 PM
fw102807

I have to laugh at people who call 20 degrees bone chilling. Bone chilling is when you step outside and your face hurts. Yes it is cold but it is not minus numbers, not for an extended time and there is not any accumulation of snow. That is enough for me.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

I placed a glass with about an inch of water in it outside on a table before I went to bed. No ice, just some good cold water. Temperature is one part of the equation. Time is also a part. It takes several hours to freeze water in pipes.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I placed a glass with about an inch of water in it outside on a table before I went to bed. No ice, just some good cold water. Temperature is one part of the equation. Time is also a part. It takes several hours to freeze water in pipes.
Good little experiment there. Throw that glass of water up in MN now and it would probably freeze before it hit the ground. It looks like it needs to be boiling water. Which freezes faster, hot water or cold water?
Closed Thread

Tags
freezing, pipes, water, folks, protect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.