Freezing temps tonight

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Freezing temps tonight

I have a couple of questions about the freezing temps for tonight . Should I run a trickle of water in my laundry tub to prevent lines from freezing. Also we have a heat pump,should I put,it in emergency heat mode.(running the heat strips) for tonight only? They said the freeze should last about 7 hours.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:11 PM

I say no to both. Heat Pumps are actually much more efficient in these Florida freezing temps than straight electric heat. You could run a small trickle of water, but I really don't think it will be cold enough to freeze the water lines. Now, if it was -30 or something, I would feel different. Sometimes, below 0 degrees, I recommend turning the heat pump to emergency heat.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

a lot depends on what temperature you feel comfortable with inside and the difference between that and the outdoor temperature (variance). The wider the variance the longer the heat pump runs and will at some predetermined variance kick in the heat strips.

The other all important factor is what is the outdoor temperature around the heat pump. They work best at 35 degrees and above. The colder the air the less heat there is in it for the heat pump to extract.

In temperatures below 35 expect that your heat pump will run just about full time.

If you are lucky the heat pump is in the view of the rising sun!

Now that the temps are going to be in a hard freeze for several hours we will find out which of our tropicals will not survive. After 11 years we have just about lost all our tropicals, learning to replace them with more cold hardy local plants.

Covering plants is good for frost protection. For freezing not as good. If it is 20 degrees above the cover it is 20 degrees under the cover.

We have the advantage that here in FL does it ever stay at these low low numbers for very long. We get it for a few hours. The folks back home are counting days below zero!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

I have my plants covered. Husband is running just a trickle of water I my laundry tubs. I have my heat set at 72 and it feels fine in the house. Our furnace was just installed two years ago and we have a regular heat setting which I use and an emergency heat which I don't use. Will keep it on regular heat. Thanks. Really didn't know that florida got this cold. At least it doesn't last long like up north. Our kids are freezing in the minus.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delima2000 View Post
I have a couple of questions about the freezing temps for tonight . Should I run a trickle of water in my laundry tub to prevent lines from freezing. Also we have a heat pump,should I put,it in emergency heat mode.(running the heat strips) for tonight only? They said the freeze should last about 7 hours.
Your out side faucets need to be protected. Big box stores have inexpensive covers. Disconnect any hoses.

Inside pipes should be ok but if you want to drip you have to keep the water moving in all the pipes both hot and cold.

Drain sprinkler back flow and turn off the water supply.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 PM

A local newcaster said that pool pumps should be left running overnight to avoid any pipes freezing. Seems like overkill but I'm doing so to avoid taking any chances.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Our plants are covered and I brought in all our chickens and geese. Ready to roll!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Our plants are covered and I brought in all our chickens and geese. Ready to roll!
What about the fox?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I wrapped towels around my outside faucets. This is probably unnecessary but I have had ice form in the past at 22 degrees. Just a precaution. Everything else. except temperature sensitive plants, should be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delima2000 View Post
Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
What about the fox?
The fox had enough sense to go to the islands two weeks ago.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
The fox had enough sense to go to the islands two weeks ago.

Excellent choice.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.