French Drain

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2017, 11:58 PM
Default French Drain

Anyone have a good experience with a contractor installing a French drain with a pop up tied to down spouts?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:17 AM

Not to sure I wd want a large concentration of water buried in rocks next to my house foundation.... Sink holes
Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 AM

My husband and our neighbor put in a French drain between our houses, works great. It collects the water and then funnels it to the street where it runs to the sewer. Stops it from sitting in the yard. FYI, standing water is not the cause of sinkholes.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:07 AM
Email Reported As Spam

My landscaper connected all my downspouts to underground drains capped them with plastic screening that are exposed to my yard . The one drain above ground is on my driveway and I have placed screening in the interior to prevent critters from climbing up the downspouts.

Periodically the drains have to be cleaned out and a leaf blower works well. I have had them for 11 years and not a problem to date
Old 09-15-2017, 06:49 AM
Default Why do people not read the post.

It seems people do not read the posts or just read into them what they want.
Anyway here is one real answer to your post:

Rons Landscaping Inc
Old 09-15-2017, 07:44 AM

What causes a sinkhole. Yes why do people not read the post
Old 09-15-2017, 07:54 AM
Sage
Default Peace of mind

We had French drains put in about 4 1/2 years ago due to drainage problems from water running off the golf course. We put them in, and soon after that The Villages corrected the golf course drainage problem. I'm very glad we have them because we had no drainage problems at all with this past hurricane. They are a real good "safety net!" Mcgowan landscaping put ours in.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

According to Angie's list.

French drain installation in lawns should cost from three to five dollars per linear foot.

In our area the sandy soil makes for easy installation. Don't pay too much.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Sage
Default French Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
According to Angie's list.

French drain installation in lawns should cost from three to five dollars per linear foot.

In our area the sandy soil makes for easy installation. Don't pay too much.

Angie's list huh ? I had 400' of French drain installed, courtesy of West Construction. Total cost 10K, that's $25 per foot. Took them a week, 4 men

The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 AM

We used Kerner Landscape, Inc. Scott Kerner and crew did the french drain installation around our house and we were happy with the results. He also installed drip irrigation.
352-461-0447.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Sage

Oh I see.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Sock drain or French drain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Ludwigs View Post
Anyone have a good experience with a contractor installing a French drain with a pop up tied to down spouts?
We have been living in our new home on Belle Glade for 1.5 years. When we did the final inspection I mentioned the issue between my home and the neighbor to the builder. Very little grass was growing and there was an area that stayed wet most all the time. He said he would look into it. We never heard back so during the first year I called a couple of times to no avail. Just before the warranty expired I made sure I was on record re the problem. I finally received a call from the builders representative and he came by and I could tell he did not want to do anything about the drainage issue but he said he would speak with warranty in TV. One morning about three weeks later a truck shows up at my home and four guys start digging up the space between the two houses. They said they were going to install a "sock drain" and feed it under my driveway to the storm drains in the street. The issue is now solved but not with out constant contact and demand for something to be done. I don't know how old your home is but even if it is out of warranty "the squeaky wheel will get the oil". I also can tell you that three of my neighbors in our first home In TV of Charlotte had the same issue and the district itself installed sock drains. The reason the "District" got involved (I was told) was that there was an electrical breaker box between one of the houses and that is their responsibility.

Last edited by TimeForChange; 09-15-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Sage
Default French Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
We have been living in our new home on Belle Glade for 1.5 years. When we did the final inspection I mentioned the issue between my home and the neighbor to the builder. Very little grass was growing and there was an area that stayed wet most all the time. He said he would look into it. We never heard back so during the first year I called a couple of times to no avail. Just before the warranty expired I made sure I was on record re the problem. I finally received a call from the builders representative and he came by and I could tell he did not want to do anything about the drainage issue but he said he would speak with warranty in TV. One morning about three weeks later a truck shows up at my home and four guys start digging up the space between the two houses. They said they were going to install a "sock drain" and feed it under my driveway to the storm drains in the street. The issue is now solved but not with out constant contact and demand for something to be done. I don't know how old your home is but even if it is out of warranty "the squeaky wheel will get the oil". I also can tell you that three of my neighbors in our first home In TV of Charlotte had the same issue and the district itself installed sock drains.

While we were in contract I took many pics of the standing water after a good rain. Every time it rained. Sent all the pics through messaging to the sales rep. He then forwarded all the pics to the builder. Kept all messages as documentation. 3 weeks after we closed a crew showed up and spent a week installing a French drain. All the time never spoke to any one. Document everything, trust no one. That's the way to get what you want.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Sage

Sometimes it isn't who you ask but how you ask.

Sometimes the same people have a lot more problems than others.

Here is an old thread on French drains. I don't think French drains need gravel in our sandy soil, but I am often wrong. That would make them easier and cheaper to install and still effective. Hire a LOCAL person rather than a national one. They know our soil and our conditions..

Warrenty Dept will not help.....

And remember; You can catch more flies with vinegar than you can with honey. People are human.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Sage
Default French Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sometimes it isn't who you ask but how you ask.

Sometimes the same people have a lot more problems than others.

Here is an old thread on French drains. I don't think French drains need gravel in our sandy soil, but I am often wrong. That would make them easier and cheaper to install and still effective. Hire a LOCAL person rather than a national one. They know our soil and our conditions..

Warrenty Dept will not help.....

And remember; You can catch more flies with vinegar than you can with honey. People are human.

The purpose of the gravel is to prevent the sand from clogging the holes in the flexible pipe. Gravel and fabric screen are necessary. The latter are placed on top of the pipe. * see pics
Closed Thread

Tags
french, drain, tied, spouts, pop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.