Fresh Market - changed since buy out.

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Fresh Market - changed since buy out.

When I heard that Fresh Market had been bought out I kinda sorta thought there would be changes. For some time there were no changes, but now it is noticeable that the new company is cutting corners. It is no longer a high end grocery store. The $2.99 Tuesday is now all week and the quality is very inferior. The bread is no longer baked every day or every two days as it was in the past. For us, the biggest and worst change is the loss of the Manager and I am going to murder his name, but I think it is Jaimel. Of course, these changes are all good for Publix and good luck to them.

I can never understand why a company purchases a really good business and gradually burns it down like this. Do they really think the people who go in there and spend $100 on steaks etc., are going to still shop there?, think again.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 AM

We continue to shop there and have not noticed any decline in either the quality of the food nor in the level of service.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Sage

Fresh Market used to have excellent San Francisco style sourdough bread. Not any more. They still have sourdough bread but it's really bad
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

One way to rid your competition, is to buy the business, and then run it down.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
For us, the biggest and worst change is the loss of the Manager and I am going to murder his name, but I think it is Jaimel.
Jermain Johnson
Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

I agree about the excellent quality and service, although imposed budget cuts have fewer people on the floor.

Last edited by blueeagle65; 05-20-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
Jermain Johnson

Thank you, yes Jermain, from a customer's point of view he was a great WORKING Manager. He was a real worker and his people loved him.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM

I thought they were bought by Apollo Global which is an investment management firm which specializes in " unlocking the hidden value " of their acquisitions. You do that by getting rid of " expensive " employees who cater to customers and by cheapening the brand. You then sell the business you " fixed" to another company which wants to add sales because it is one of the CEO's bonus goals and adds millions of dollars to his pocket at the end of the year. Investment managers do not make good grocers, restaurateurs, industrialists , engineers or medical professionals. They do however change business models to make very dynamic businesses quite hum drum. With that said, yep you can no longer buy a veal chop in Fresh Market and the fish case seems to lack the variety it once had.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Sage

Oh no! The seafood salad??? (Yes, I know it's fake crab meat. But I still love it. )
Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I think their meat is better. On Tuesday bought Chateaubriand and it was excellent. Purchased 6 veal loin chops and grilled 2 last nigh they were delicious.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Looks to me that it was bought out some time in 2016. We do go there but not often. I have not been disappointed in what I have purchased at the store so far. Time will tell.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Oh no! The seafood salad??? (Yes, I know it's fake crab meat. But I still love it. )
Seafood salad is still there. Bought some shrimp and salmon salads today... no fake crab for me.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Me too. Love it! It's great on a croissant!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Closed Thread

Tags
good, market, company, longer, fresh

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.