Fried Food Heart Risk a Myth says new study

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree. Your high lighted statement says it all.

But you Italians don't have the market cornered on longevity. My German Brewmaster dad lived to be 92 and was cutting the grass with a push mower a couple of weeks before he exited this world. It pays to have genes for longevity. To your good health everyone...
I agree Italians don't have the market on longevity.

However, for the record, let it be known:

1. My Italian uncle Joe will be 99 in April. Mother died giving birth to him. Raised by his three older sisters.
2. One died at 105.
3. One died at 102.
3. Brother died at 99.
4. Last sister is still living at 102.
5. Mom lived to 93.
6. Aunt Virginia, Joe's wife is 96 and living. Married 75 years this September.

I wish I had his genes as he is my uncle through marriage. I once asked him what happened to his other six siblings. He replied, "they died young, they were in their seventies".

Must be something to that drinking glass of wine at dinner? Bottoms Up.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Sage

Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Sage

Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
A classic immigrant story. Go to ellisisland.org and you might find the ship that they came on. You will be able to read the original ship's manifest.
Or, go to ancestry.com and you can type in your family surnames to find your long lost relatives or the other branches of the family.

I started out ten years ago with only my grandparents and the town they came from, plus their parents, which thankfully someone had thought to write down...(my great grandparents on my father's side). I now have over 11,000 souls in my family tree........some of which are my mom's side and other people who married into our family and my husband's family, etc., etc.
It grows even without trying.........and people share their branches with you.

The Ukrainian side is more difficult to trace due to the Cyrillic alphabet but my grandmother's church was very helpful in translating after photocopying the records of births, baptisms, deaths, etc., etc. from early 1900's here....and it did list their village in Austrian Hungarian Empire of Franz Josef.

NOW THE ITALIANS were the easiest to trace......as so many of the microfllms are available and many other "searching cousins" who can read or decipher the Italian language were generous enough to help out........people are very helpful when searching for the same family lines...........NOT TO MENTION NAPOLEON. Napoleon was a stickler for record keeping.......so whenever a couple in Italy wanted to get married, they had to go to the town square or town hall and declare their intent and sign a paper with all their people who came before..........so the marriage records, morte (death records) and birth records have a wealth of information GOING BACKWARDS.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

A dear friend of mine is into geneaology.com and suggested that I visit their site and do a family tree. It might prove interesting as a family who lived a couple of houses away and we knew for years are like third cousins. They were never over anyone in the familys house during the holidays and finally talking to our elder family members, we discovered a distant link in the family tree.

In keeping with the thread:

We owe it to ourselves to eat as healthy as possible to at least have a shot at longevity.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Please ! Does anyone know where I can get a Good Tasting Red Wine that does not have those Sulfites in the product. My Dr's want me to enjoy a glass however the sulfites give me a headache and stuff me up.

No Jokes Angie- Swim and Gracie- LOL

Herv
Herv, just Google 'Red wine without sulfites' and a gazillion websites show up. Here's an example:

EcoVine Sulfite Free Organic Wine Club

Join the club & they'll send you the wine. Sounds good to me!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Gold member
Talking

I have a glass of red wine every day!! Seems to help clean out arteries. Maybe an excuse to have wine hehehe. But really about fried foods. Its the oil its cooked in thats harmful. Take any of the grease from sausages, bacon, fatty meats, deep fried potatoes and put it in the refridgerator for a couple of hours, and you will see the solid fat you are putting into stomach and arteries.(Even just set it out for a while and it will turn hard). Put a glass of olive oil in fridge, and you will see the difference even though both are saturated fat!! Not that I don't cheat once in a while, but with stents in my body, I want to stick around a little while longer. I'm surprised that with all us older people,(speaking for myself) here in The Villages, that they don't have more restaurants that concentrate on more healthier cooking. Thats why we cook a lot at home, and when I cheat, we go out. BUT, to each his own!! I know what I have to do to stay healthy. Bon Apetete everyone!!

Last edited by PaPaLarry; 02-16-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I'm posting this link because of a back and forth I had with Villages PL on healthy living and healthy food which is of great concern to Villages PL.

It's interesting how many of our commonly held beliefs about some food's nutritional value, or it's effect to our health have changed over the years.

I don't know if the indications that it is the type of oil used and not the frying of food itself that is the determining factor to it's health safety, but it's something to think about.

Fried food heart risk 'a myth' - Telegraph
I'm trusting less and less, (based on experience), all of these supposed scientific studies that tell us what foods are good and bad for us. That's just my personal view of it...

Whatever happened to preparing our food,...thanking God for it and trusting Him to bless it, then we eat.....I know, not intelligent enough....whatever.

An interesting question for me is, What is the motivation behind the study,...who is funding the study.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graytop View Post
I'm trusting less and less, (based on experience), all of these supposed scientific studies that tell us what foods are good and bad for us. That's just my personal view of it...

Whatever happened to preparing our food,...thanking God for it and trusting Him to bless it, then we eat.....I know, not intelligent enough....whatever.

An interesting question for me is, What is the motivation behind the study,...who is funding the study.
The motivation? How about just plain old curiosity and thirst for knowledge. Exploding myths is a time honored scientific pursuit.

If "popular wisdom" on a subject is flawed, wouldn't you want to know about it?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
The motivation? How about just plain old curiosity and thirst for knowledge. Exploding myths is a time honored scientific pursuit.

If "popular wisdom" on a subject is flawed, wouldn't you want to know about it?
Yes, exactly, and if it's true science, the results should be consistent if given the same set of variables each time...but who do you believe?.....Eggs are bad for you, then, eggs aren't as bad for you as thought,...on and on it goes...So much of it is just "news cycle" driven BS.

I'm all for trying to improve the lifestyle....All I'm saying is I don't trust all these news stories and supposed scientific studies to be true,...they contradict themselves too much. I just want to take them with a grain of salt. (pun intended) I'm a skeptic. There is money behind every one of these so called studies and I'm sure that they're not all un-biased.

Are we supposed to just accept all these studies as truth just because they're printed in a newspaper or on TV?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graytop View Post
Yes, exactly, and if it's true science, the results should be consistent if given the same set of variables each time.

Are we supposed to just accept all these studies as truth just because they're printed in a newspaper or on TV?
Good points. Early in my training, it was emphasized that the results of a well-designed and executed study should be able to be duplicated by a follow-up study similarly designed and run. Unless the results of study were confirmed by subsequent studies, the results of the first study were simply points of interest needing to be confirmed or refuted by subsequent studies. And the source of funding for a study also should be investigated before taking the results to heart. Remember the studies done by the tobacco companies stating that smoking isn't related to the onset of lung cancer.

Unfortunately, there are untold numbers of news stories that take these unconfirmed results and trumpet them as factual. This leads to confusion and, sometimes worse, action taken that may be counterproductive or dangerous.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Good points. Early in my training, it was emphasized that the results of a well-designed and executed study should be able to be duplicated by a follow-up study similarly designed and run. Unless the results of study were confirmed by subsequent studies, the results of the first study were simply points of interest needing to be confirmed or refuted by subsequent studies. And the source of funding for a study also should be investigated before taking the results to heart. Remember the studies done by the tobacco companies stating that smoking isn't related to the onset of lung cancer.

Unfortunately, there are untold numbers of news stories that take these unconfirmed results and trumpet them as factual. This leads to confusion and, sometimes worse, action taken that may be counterproductive or dangerous.

Well said. Very well said indeed.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Email Reported As Spam

It is good to hear folks share their pride in their ethincity. We should all do so as it honors our parents.

IMHO all things equal "genes" are the main determinant of longevity. Indeed the Greeks were correct in advisng all things in moderation. Clearly heavy drinking, smoking are very bad for you, as is a daily diet of process meats. but too many folks /scientist /doctor, etc go overboard.

A Harvard study some 20 years ago determined thatthree types of people existed. those who excreted cholesterol, those who compensated for it and those that stored cholestrol, the latter having the probleEat in moderation, exercise three times a week, love yourself and others and most of all laugh loudly and often...then pray like ----that God see's your efforts at being healthy.

Finally remember Erma Bombeck's famous quote " Just think minutes before the titanic went down some women waved off the dessert cart"
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Sage

I read the article hoping I could find an excuse to dive into some fried chicken and fries at Bubba's Swamp house. I was disappointed to read olive oil or sunflower oil. I got a feeling Bubba never heard of those oils.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.