Friendliest Home Town, You Bet

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Friendliest Home Town, You Bet

There are a lot of non-villagers at the squares to take in the same entertainment we do. Every so often a jerk or two shows up just like in the real world. And as in the real world, ignore them. They will self destruct on their own....... ;D ;D
Old 11-27-2007, 12:38 AM

Bullies never self destruct. They make life miserable for others around them. Ignoring them does not work it just empowers them. Stand up and say something.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm with jb .. I would have opened my mouth.

Sadly, I seem to be in a not-so-friendly neighborhood. People wave and say hi but that's it. There's no come over, what are your interests, etc. I am in an older section (not historical but close to 441/27).

Fortunately, have had fun with strangers in the squares and at KB's. It's hard to not have fun here unless you work at it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Sage

As a current outsider it seems that the best way to find your group of friends at TV would be to join one of the hundreds of interest groups instead of hoping that the neighbors were friendly. It just seems that it is easier to associate and be friendly with those that have a like interest. For me that would be sports (golf, pickleball, basketball, cycling etc.). My wife has some of those interest but also does many craft type things (painting, quilts etc.) as well.

I guess it would be great to be near other full-time residents who became your best friends but i would imagine that is hit or miss.

Do many people on this board belong to some of the organized groups or partake of the offerings at the learning college?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
As a current outsider it seems that the best way to find your group of friends at TV would be to join one of the hundreds of interest groups instead of hoping that the neighbors were friendly. It just seems that it is easier to associate and be friendly with those that have a like interest. For me that would be sports (golf, pickleball, basketball, cycling etc.). My wife has some of those interest but also does many craft type things (painting, quilts etc.) as well.

I guess it would be great to be near other full-time residents who became your best friends but i would imagine that is hit or miss.

Do many people on this board belong to some of the organized groups or partake of the offerings at the learning college?
I am a member of the Villages Computer Club and a Member of the Friends of the Villages Public Library. Go to both groups meetings on occasion. The Doggie Doo Run Run is a great place to meet dog lovers and for the most part nice people.

We lucked out as the neighbors are good ones here in TV. That cannot be said of other places where we have lived where its a crap shoot.

You do come across pests though even in TV and on TOTV.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbladybugg
To Steve from NY
I have only been passively reading new posts to get a flavor of TV. After reading about this incident I feel a strong need to respond. I am happy to hear that relatives of the "older man" spoke up but I would hope that other residents from the "friendliest town" would also speak up to rude behavior. Unfortunately this behavior exists in any community and will also exist in TV but there is never any excuse for being a bully whether he lives in TV or not.
So I gave due consideration to speaking up, and for a number of reasons, didn't.

First, it was clear the incident was over. The "bully" had won, and the "victim's" family had talked to him. Nothing I did would change any of that.

I didn't feel taunting him with words would be enough, and only could see myself standing in front of him, blocking his view, daring him to push me away. Unfortunately, I saw that ending badly as I got a first hand view of the Sumter Co sherriff's office! I am a little larger, and a little younger than this idiot, and I felt too that this would have turned me into the bully. Granted, he might have just moved, but I had to be ready for the alternative.

So I just stewed for awhile and called the guy all kinds of names under my breath.

Nothing else I could have done would have changed anything.

It was just such a shame to see some one acting like this in such an otherwise friendly environment.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFromNY
So I gave due consideration to speaking up, and for a number of reasons, didn't.

First, it was clear the incident was over. The "bully" had won, and the "victim's" family had talked to him. Nothing I did would change any of that.

I didn't feel taunting him with words would be enough, and only could see myself standing in front of him, blocking his view, daring him to push me away. Unfortunately, I saw that ending badly as I got a first hand view of the Sumter Co sherriff's office! I am a little larger, and a little younger than this idiot, and I felt too that this would have turned me into the bully. Granted, he might have just moved, but I had to be ready for the alternative.

So I just stewed for awhile and called the guy all kinds of names under my breath.

Nothing else I could have done would have changed anything.

It was just such a shame to see some one acting like this in such an otherwise friendly environment.

Maybe the family will wear some really big hats for the next time someone insists on being a jerk at one of the town squares. :joke:
Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I tend to agree with Steve, these types of people generally thrive on attention and the more you give them the more they act up. If someone behind me asks me to move I ignore them, period.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut
I tend to agree with Steve, these types of people generally thrive on attention and the more you give them the more they act up. If someone behind me asks me to move I ignore them, period.
Same goes with people who get a buzz out of hurling insults over the net. You are supposed to just ignore them.

Would not mind seeing a bunch of red hat ladies with their biggest hats on sitting in front of a guy like the man Steve describes. :joke:
Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFromNY
I hate to even write this post, but I witnessed something the other night (Friday after Thanksgiving) at LSL.
My wife and I were watching the band, when a "younger" man (late 50's?) sitting in front of us asked an "older" man (probably mid-70's?) to move, as he was blocking the younger man's view of the dancers and band. The older guy slid over a bit, but apparently not enough to please the younger guy. he (younger) proceeded to get up, stand next to the older guy, and physically shove him out of the way. I was appalled! The older guy left, the younger guy sat down again, and some relatives of the older guy said something to the younger guy, and it ended there.
I really couldn't believe my eyes.
This ran so far counter to the normal behavior ("come to dineer", "Can I help you", etc, etc). It was distressing to me!
I know it was an isolated case and I am not trying to make a big deal out of it, but it really let me know there are some (well, at least one) real idiots in TV too.

I have to tell you, this story has really disturbed me. Is this what is coming to TV? One of my reasons for wanting to move to TV is to get away form this "bully" type that lives among us.

First off, this was an ASSULT. Such actions should not be ignored. As you all have pointed out, talking to this 50-something brat was a waste of time. What he needed was to have a cop slap a pair of cuffs on him and arrest him. Then you'd see a change of attitude. To do nothing is to give him permission to contine such behavior. I don't mean for anyone to "take him on" yourself, but the authorities should have been notified immediately.

The older gentleman could have been hurt. Then what? Only then will someone be called to deal with the situation. How sad. Maybe the police should start patrolling the squares to deal with the thugs who can't control themselves and feel they can bully the elderly.

Sounds to me: 1) The 50-something brat is not a Villager, and 2) He was drunk.
All the more reason to have this type removed. THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED ANYWHERE!!!

Village of Hemmingway
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 AM

I have seen the police talk to people about their behavior more then once on the square.They just need to be told. There is going to be one of those kind every once in awhile but not often. Most people here are really nice.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.