Friendly Reminder for Snowbirds in Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

We were down this summer for a couple of weeks (when snowbirds had flown the bubble) and more than once saw one cart taking up single car space.

Reminders aren't a bad thing but no need to "single out" the snowbirds. Snowbirds are not the only ones that don't drive the roundabouts correctly either. Fore!
Old 11-23-2016, 04:34 PM

Food for thought -

My brother is handicapped and walks with crutches. He was complaining to me how he thinks it is awful that the golf carts park two to a space (he lives outside of The Villages - but shops here).

I explained to him how it was nice to park with another cart, because it helps take up less spaces overall in the lot.

He said people don't think about how hard it is for someone like him to get out of his car. He has to swing the door out wider in order to exit the car, and when people park two in a space, they are pretty close to the lines of that space, so he has less space to swing the door open.

My husband and I were at Fresh Market yesterday night, and watched a senior park next to a space with two golf carts (it was very hard to even find a spot in the lot). She too had to squeeze out of her car to exit, because of the carts.

So I guess, maybe two carts in one space can be good.....and maybe not so much.... Guess it depends on your point of view. My brothers handicap has had me look though another set of eyes.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We were down this summer for a couple of weeks (when snowbirds had flown the bubble) and more than once saw one cart taking up single car space.

Reminders aren't a bad thing but no need to "single out" the snowbirds. Snowbirds are not the only ones that don't drive the roundabouts correctly either. Fore!
I agree....it's not just the Snowbirds!
Old 11-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post
Food for thought -

My brother is handicapped and walks with crutches. He was complaining to me how he thinks it is awful that the golf carts park two to a space (he lives outside of The Villages - but shops here).

I explained to him how it was nice to park with another cart, because it helps take up less spaces overall in the lot.

He said people don't think about how hard it is for someone like him to get out of his car. He has to swing the door out wider in order to exit the car, and when people park two in a space, they are pretty close to the lines of that space, so he has less space to swing the door open.

My husband and I were at Fresh Market yesterday night, and watched a senior park next to a space with two golf carts (it was very hard to even find a spot in the lot). She too had to squeeze out of her car to exit, because of the carts.

So I guess, maybe two carts in one space can be good.....and maybe not so much.... Guess it depends on your point of view. My brothers handicap has had me look though another set of eyes.
Can your brother get a handicap plaquerd?
The handicap parking spaces have extra space on each side that would make it easier for him.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Can your brother get a handicap plaquerd?
The handicap parking spaces have extra space on each side that would make it easier for him.
He actually had one in Michigan. He moved here recently, and would have to go to a doctor and get examined again to prove he is handicapped...yada yada yada. He has cerebral palsy, but HATES to be considered handicapped. So he will still park in regular spaces.

He just showed me a different point of view. Plus, that poor lady in the parking lot at Fresh Market may not even be eligible for a permit.

So next time you are in a parking lot, take a look again at what it does to the car parked next to you.

And yes, we have always parked two carts in a spot. I guess now I see his point.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:57 PM
Gold member

"So next time you are in a parking lot, take a look again at what it does to the car parked next to you."

Some people might not do that, but I know people who are actually considerate of others when parking their car or cart.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,443 Posts

When I park cart in parking lot I away park behind the front doors of cars so they can get in or out. That means my cart is away at the beginning of parking spots (or the end depending on which way you look at it).

Probably the most important Thing you can tell new cart drivers IMO is NEVER make left turn from the diamond lane, that will get you killed quicker than anything IMO. Please pull into the car lane when safe using your blinker light and or hand signal and make you left hand turn properly. I only been here two years and have seen several wrecks or near misses from carts swerving for diamond lanes turning left or doing U'ey.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
But remember, it's ONLY a courtesy. Golf carts don't have to share a parking place. I agree there's plenty of room for two, but you don't have to share.
I believe, sense it is a courtesy, you have to share!! Otherwise you are discourteous.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:56 AM
Email Reported As Spam

There is no excuse for bad etiquette whether on a golf course in a parking lot or traveling on the road.

The Villages is over saturated with people and it is all the more reason to share and to follow the rules of the road, play ready golf and otherwise continue your defensive driving. It also is a good to remember that as a driver that in the past, you have also committed the same errors as the driver your currently ready to rage at, other than of course those yo yos that do so intentionally
Old 11-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I don't care what is said, I love The Villages!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
When I park cart in parking lot I away park behind the front doors of cars so they can get in or out. That means my cart is away at the beginning of parking spots (or the end depending on which way you look at it).

Probably the most important Thing you can tell new cart drivers IMO is NEVER make left turn from the diamond lane, that will get you killed quicker than anything IMO. Please pull into the car lane when safe using your blinker light and or hand signal and make you left hand turn properly. I only been here two years and have seen several wrecks or near misses from carts swerving for diamond lanes turning left or doing U'ey.
Perhaps if the cart driver parked in the back right side of the space, then the next cart would park on the upper left side of the space. That might help.

But if the back cart parked on the on the left back side to begin with, then the next cart would pull up to the right upper spot, thus causing the driver of a car to have to squeeze out of the car. (as what happens to my handicapped brother).
Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

In The Villages, Golf Carts rule. And don't you forget it!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
how could one cart take up 4 parking places? it doesn't seem like it would be long enough to do that.
I said there were 4 carts, each one in the middle of a parking space.....if they had doubled up, two more cars or 4 more carts could have had parking places.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, carts, reminder, snowbirds, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.