Friends who didn't like The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Fumar you are soooooo funny

I sure have missed your posts....Where have you been.?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Actually I did but as they are now in psychiatric care it doesn't seem worth mentioning........
As I remember they did like dogs too.

Fumar ( mr. warmth ),,,,,,,,,
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Yes
Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I THINK that many a rant and many a negative opinion posted on this forum is colored by folks who move here to find the atmosphere discribed in your last paragraph.They can't believe that they now live in that kind of a majority and do NOT like it at all.

I grew up in that climate and just like suburbia it is what I am used to.
I know exactly what you mean. It doesn't matter to us, one way or another. We live our lives and don't care what other people do...or how they think. We are all entitled to our opinions.

When we moved to Vermont in 1970 it was a totally CONSERVATIVE state in every shape and form imaginable. Some parts of Vermont didn't even have electricity until the 1960's. Hard to believe, but we've seen the documentaries put out by our state on Public Television. In a way it was slightly backwards.

What a sea change has transpired in all the years after 1970.
The folks who were the "salt of the earth" are long gone....for the most part. They were the oldtimers.

It's become a totally ultra "L" state..........if the old farmers and such would rise from the dead, they would be in total shock at their beloved Green Mountain State's "new views".

We were among those who migrated up here........but we enjoyed the "difference" after we finally adjusted to the fact it was NOT New Jersey.

However, people flocked up here.........not just hippies but doctors and professionals, college professors from all the cities in the east.......and the nature of Vermont has definitely changed......as one can see by what gets voted into law. Our own high school and college kids had very "L" teachers and professors influencing them...........but we also knew some of the "old timey" traditional native Vermont professors and teachers.
Big change from 1970 to now...........

No problem with the viewpoint of those who reside in TV....that's for sure.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
I know exactly what you mean. It doesn't matter to us, one way or another. We live our lives and don't care what other people do...or how they think. We are all entitled to our opinions.

When we moved to Vermont in 1970 it was a totally CONSERVATIVE state in every shape and form imaginable. Some parts of Vermont didn't even have electricity until the 1960's. Hard to believe, but we've seen the documentaries put out by our state on Public Television. In a way it was slightly backwards.

What a sea change has transpired in all the years after 1970.
The folks who were the "salt of the earth" are long gone....for the most part. They were the oldtimers.

It's become a totally ultra "L" state..........if the old farmers and such would rise from the dead, they would be in total shock at their beloved Green Mountain State's "new views".

We were among those who migrated up here........but we enjoyed the "difference" after we finally adjusted to the fact it was NOT New Jersey.

However, people flocked up here.........not just hippies but doctors and professionals, college professors from all the cities in the east.......and the nature of Vermont has definitely changed......as one can see by what gets voted into law. Our own high school and college kids had very "L" teachers and professors influencing them...........but we also knew some of the "old timey" traditional native Vermont professors and teachers.
Big change from 1970 to now...........

No problem with the viewpoint of those who reside in TV....that's for sure.

With age comes wisdom.......generally speaking...especially if you worked hard and saved your money and go to church and all that stuff we were raised to do.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 AM

It's definitely not for everybody, but that doesn't mean the people who don't like it should be criticized. Some people like a little privacy and the postage stamp lots here do not appeal to those people.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Obviously, we do not agree with him.......so don't shoot the messenger. Oh, the biggest thing he harps on when we gather for holidays or family get togethers is that he could never ever live in a place that was all R's. I can't believe that everyone in TV is an R. It doesn't matter to us.....but just telling you what the L.D. might perceive TV to be.
Hmmmm......so I guess it's OK to reference political parties as long as it's abbreviated

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Sage

It can't be all R's as the D's won. TV is not right for some but it's right for me.

I tend to think that some people gives reasons as why they don't like it because some people don't like change and are very resistance to starting a new lifestyle.

Ive heard:
1. It's too hot in the summer.
2. Too many bugs.
3. Aligators are going to get you.

I can se some people wanting to stay near their children and grandchildren. I have also seen people say they see their children and grandchildren more since TV is close to Disney World.

To each their own.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Oh sure. Much of my family have been urban dwellers all their lives. They live in the middle of big cities, where they walk or grab a cab to everything.
They love having the opera, symphony, universities, museums, theaters and art galleries be just a moment away.
They love the variety of ethnic restaurants, specialty corner grocery stores and the old architectural neighborhood enclaves tucked here and there within the city.
Their personal taste is high brow in every aspect and they look at me with that 'deer in the headlights' look when I talk about TV.
Truth be told, they would break out in a rash here.
But I love them anyway.
I have the same relatives. And I share their love of all things Big City. But you cant have it all. I'm content to get my Big City fix on travels and enjoy the weather and activities here the rest of the time. They can stay home, and I won't be offended
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
We've had friends move here, and other friends turn up their noses because the homes are tract homes, too close together (which they are let's face it). We bought in spite of the small home lots, and really enjoy our lifestyle here because we enjoy the activites and the many friends we have made. We ignore the Fox news at the Square, and actually rarely go to the square or to parades, just not our thing. With 100,000 people here, there are many of each political persuasion so something for everyone.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Your friends second thought would raise a flag for me! She does not sound village friendly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit9240 View Post
I posted this because I just had a best friend from high school. This was not her first visit. These are her thoughts:
-Houses are like development/track homes
-Hates Fox News playing throughout the square
-Thinks parades are dumb
-Thinks golf carts are silly
-Not interested in golf
-Not interested in live music at the squares
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvmyPug2 View Post
Yes We had one friend tell us they couldn't live here because the houses are so close together. They had lived in the country their whole life and also didn't like the idea of of living somewhere with covenants
And we also have friends like this! They enjoy visiting us but HE would not want to live here! SHE would love to!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
hmmmm......so i guess it's ok to reference political parties as long as it's abbreviated
shhhh!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM
TOTV Moderator

Let's try to keep political and partisan references and opinions out of this thread unless it is within the context of the topic (i.e. a reason for not liking the Villages).
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyCrocked View Post
It's definitely not for everybody, but that doesn't mean the people who don't like it should be criticized. Some people like a little privacy and the postage stamp lots here do not appeal to those people.
No. No one should be criticized.

But please don't move here, live here, when you can buy elsewhere and be happy.

I am as entitled to my being happy and my positive opinion about this place as those who play a dirge all of the time.

AND I think a LOT of it is politically motivated..
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM

If you don't like pie........don't eat it!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.