Friends who didn't like The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

For those people who live and enjoy the amenities of a large city center - they may have difficulty imagining themselves in an "isolated" community. In the same way, those who live in a small rural town with considerable open fields/woods might find TV rather compact with small lots and close neighbors. There are millions of people across this beautiful country and this place will not be for everyone. Nor should we expect everyone to understand our choice to live here. There is nothing wrong with our or others opinions. We should not need other people (visitors) to validate our reasons for choosing the villages. Rather than being possibly offended if someone does not embrace TV with the same enthusiasm as we do, lets just keep it "our little secret". TV sells itself to the people who are receptive.....the others belong somewhere else!

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
For those people who live and enjoy the amenities of a large city center - they may have difficulty imagining themselves in an "isolated" community. In the same way, those who live in a small rural town with considerable open fields/woods might find TV rather compact with small lots and close neighbors. There are millions of people across this beautiful country and this place will not be for everyone. Nor should we expect everyone to understand our choice to live here. There is nothing wrong with our or others opinions. We should not need other people (visitors) to validate our reasons for choosing the villages. Rather than being possibly offended if someone does not embrace TV with the same enthusiasm as we do, lets just keep it "our little secret". TV sells itself to the people who are receptive.....the others belong somewhere else!
Well said.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Sage

Two sets of friends---who've visited here (before we moved here) told us they weren't impressed. One of them has a place south of Orlando that they come and visit now and then. They both gave the comment..."Disneyland for adults!"

A couple up north (relatives actually) keep asking "how do you 'like' living in FL? How do you stand the summers?" Only one of the couple have been here (the husband) to visit---actually passing through.

I just think "some" folks are jealous and can't be happy for others....
Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My brother has owned a townhouse with a 2 car garage in New Smyrna Beach since 1988. He's 5 years older than me and has already retired from his job in Philadelphia a couple of years ago.

He came here two years ago and looked at the models with us on our LSV and has visited twice since we've moved in 2011. He doesn't play golf or softball like me, and his place is paid off and would cost at least twice as much to move here. He also said he really likes being near Daytona and enjoys it when the bikers and race fans come to town and he's only ten minutes from the beach. Coming from Philly he is also very liberal and was somewhat turned off by the conservative nature and lack of freedoms that TV sometimes portrays.

If you take route 44 it goes right by his subdivision about two hours away. So I believe he'll continue to visit and we have visited his place but I don't see him moving here anytime soon.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit9240 View Post
Has anyone had friends/family who didn't like The Villages?
YES, but she hates everything that is not her idea!
Disney Land for adults? What's wrong with that? Everyone loves the Magic Kingdom..... Well, maybe not my friend cuz she hates everything.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Sage

"Disneyland for adults" does not fit TV at all because TV is affordable to people who see the wisdom of not living on credit cards.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit9240 View Post
Has anyone had friends/family who didn't like The Villages?
Not possible. But I'm sure if these people didn't like The Villages would also be the ones that would complain after winning POWERBALL and all the taxes they have to pay. The chronic complainers just have to be tuned out.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Gold member

I met someone that didn't like it...she wasn't an R or a D or an L....she was more like a B. I'm glad she's not moving here.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Too Good

I had a relative visit us a few times from California. THeir opinion was that it was just "too good". They loved it but could not live here becase it lacked challenges. They love to come and visit and enjoy the amenties but then go back to the lost cause of California.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I met someone that didn't like it...she wasn't an R or a D or an L....she was more like a B. I'm glad she's not moving here.
AND THAT, my dear is the reason I love you to pieces.

Trish. You always nail it.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post

I have friends who say they are going to visit. I will be looking forward to their comments as I have a sneaky suspicion they will turn around thei point of view. I think they will say it's right for you but.......... fill in the blanks.

A couple of them are starting to lean towards I can't stand the winters anymore sooooooooooooo......................I am somewhat hopeful. I hope my best friend changes his mind so we'll see.

If people don't like it, I'm ok with that as it leaves more choices for a home I can buy.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM

i've had friends visit who didn't like it. It's not for everyone...and thank God for that! I love it...it's not perfect...but it's home!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
i've had friends visit who didn't like it. It's not for everyone...and thank God for that! I love it...it's not perfect...but it's home!

I think a lot of people feel this way - its not perfect, but we love it here, and its home!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Gold member

Yes. 2 sons have visited and they thought it was OK for us and 1 daughter has yet to visit and said too many old people.
Friends have visited and some enjoyed it and some don't get it.
I don't need assurance from family or friends that we did the right thing and love it here.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Gold member

Yes. 2 sons have visited and they thought it was OK for us and 1 daughter has yet to visit and said too many old people.
Friends have visited and some enjoyed it and some don't get it.
I don't need assurance from family or friends that we did the right thing and love it here.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.