Friends who didn't like The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I personally think there are always compromises to be made. You just want to be aware up front of what they are. That is one nice thing about TOTV - you can get honest information about the pros and cons of The Villages, then you can make up your mind as to whether or not this community might be of interest to you.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran member

There's an interesting sub-text running all through this thread. There are many posters who seem dumbfounded as to why everyone 55+ wouldn't love TV and there must be something wrong with those who don't.

Personally I can think of lots of reasons not to be enthralled with TV. However, since YOU are here and YOU like it and are happy here, why do YOU care that everyone doesn't share your view?

Just enjoy what you've got and don't worry about why others don't share your vision.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
There's an interesting sub-text running all through this thread. There are many posters who seem dumbfounded as to why everyone 55+ wouldn't love TV and there must be something wrong with those who don't.

Personally I can think of lots of reasons not to be enthralled with TV. However, since YOU are here and YOU like it and are happy here, why do YOU care that everyone doesn't share your view?

Just enjoy what you've got and don't worry about why others don't share your vision.
Good observation.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 PM

We had the in-laws down for over a week and took them all over, including many of the model homes to see what was available. Most "common comment" the whole time was the closeness of the houses back to back. To the point of laughing about it. The next was way too much money for the house. Both very true. Each has to have their preferences for which they consider their lifestyle and bang for their buck.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I selfishly want only people who love this place to choose it for their home.

Since it is a retirement community designed for the over 55 population, I hope that all who love it will move here.

I think that it would be appealing to almost anyone but I really don't want those who just want to make it a business opportunity buying here to never live here and just rent out a home... or those who want to change it trying to do so.

It is home for many of us and you can see the love we feel for it by reading this forum.

I don't want to say love it or leave it, but if you are not drawn to how it is and how it is run, please don't join us in our journey.

It isn't perfect. But danged close in my view and obviously the view of a lot of people equally enjoying it.

No one has to pressure anyone to buy here, and I am pretty sure they don't.

At this point the developers can't build the homes fast enough.

I just want for people who want to call it home to be here with us during this wonderful second half of the game of life.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran member

A cousin does not like TV because there are too many old people. A friend likes TV but feels you get more house for your buck outside of TV and you can still partake in many of the things TV offers.
I am glad I am old enought to live in TV. I already did the big house, big yard, inground pool when I was younger with a growing family. I am glad I now have a small house and yard so I have more time to participate in TV activities.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
THAT is a very good observation. I hadn't thought of it that way either. I have lived all of my life in suburban areas and it feels "just right".
Me, too. I'm just not a city person. However, since I'm not yet living in TV, I don't know if I will find its size overwhelming. Then again, one can draw boundaries several different ways to form a community. In other words, community could be your street, your village, your clubmates, or the entire Villages and beyond.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I met someone that didn't like it...she wasn't an R or a D or an L....she was more like a B. I'm glad she's not moving here.
Ha! Tish, you stole my thunder.......we must have the same friend!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWoman View Post
Ha! Tish, you stole my thunder.......we must have the same friend!
Oh no. You both are my dear friends. Is it me???

No. I already live here.

Sometimes I am a B.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I met someone that didn't like it...she wasn't an R or a D or an L....she was more like a B. I'm glad she's not moving here.
Good one!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post

This reply would be relevant in MANY threads here.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyCrocked View Post

This reply would be relevant in MANY threads here.
How true, sigh.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Email Reported As Spam

First, while not seeming rude or arrogant, I really don't care what other people think. My views are my views and I understand we are all different and respect those differences.

some of my friends loved TV while others did not. One relative said it was too cold this far north and couldn't wait to return to south Florida.

I'sm sure some folks view it as a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh no. You both are my dear friends. Is it me???

No. I already live here.

Sometimes I am a B.
Gracie, you could never be a B (actually, we all can but sometimes it's a badge of honor).
Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

This is now home. I do not care if my kids like it, or if my relatives like it, or even if some of my friends like it. We love it, and that is all that matters. Yes, we are far away from the family, but this is our choice and our lives. We did not ask them if they minded that we move away......our daughter thought it was strange that we would even consider asking her......'it is your life' was the response. As far as the homes, you get way more value in a home here than in the Philadelphia area, the yards are about the same as in southern California at about 1/5 the price here, and once the build-out is completed our home values will appreciate, which is not something that is happening anywhere else in this country (no recovery yet since 2008).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.