Friends who didn't like The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Sage

I can understand why someone from a rural setting might be turned off by the closeness of the homes. When the nearest neighbor is hundreds of feet away, these houses seem like townhomes. But, as we age, there is comfort in having neighbors so close. In our neighborhood, we have two AEDs that can be at anyone's home within a minute or so. We know if someone is away, so we can report any unusual activity around their home.

On the other hand, someone from an urban setting could feel they were moving to the sticks. Being used to having whatever you need close by plus museums, the arts, and professional sports in town might make this place seem empty.

But this place and its inhabitants please me and, as others have said, I don't need my decision to live here validated by others' opinions of TV.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 PM

We lived south of Atlanta and brought a couple from our neighborhood down with us on a LV. She didn't like it cause she didn't want to be around old people all the time! (she's no spring chicken!) Now the town is over run by Zombies so it serves them right!!! (Actually the tv show The Walking Dead is filmed in the town). LOL!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Gold member
Default Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit9240 View Post
I posted this because I just had a best friend from high school. This was not her first visit. These are her thoughts:
-Houses are like development/track homes
-Hates Fox News playing throughout the square
-Thinks parades are dumb
-Thinks golf carts are silly
-Not interested in golf
-Not interested in live music at the squares
Had a couple visit from NC and prior Syracuse NY.

He wanted to move here. She thought all of the above and threw in.

Over Crowded
Silly Squares with all the music and dancing
No Culture
Overpirce homes for the size and lots.
Designer homes and Villages reminded her of manufactured trailer parks
All the activities were " Stupid"
Etc.

Could not wait for them to leave-

On the other hand a friend of ours who has lived here 8 years and showed us the villages and convinced us to move.

He just sold his house said he can't take the snowbirds traffic and 100k people.

Moved back home.

Just saying- Don't kill the messanger!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Veteran member
Default Everybody is different

I have a sister who lives here and loves it. Another sister & brother do not like it here. We have several friends tell us it is a nice place to visit but would not want to live here. We like it here but, it is too crowded in the winter months. That is why resturants have a menu. No every one likes the same thing.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
There's an interesting sub-text running all through this thread. There are many posters who seem dumbfounded as to why everyone 55+ wouldn't love TV and there must be something wrong with those who don't.
I find myself in agreement with Mack. We personally love The Villages, but there is nothing wrong with people who don't love TV!! Many people choose to retire in other communities. This doesn't make them stupid or jealous or boring or lazy or chronic complainers or anti social.

I think Suzi said it beautifully:

"For those people who live and enjoy the amenities of a large city center - they may have difficulty imagining themselves in an "isolated" community. In the same way, those who live in a small rural town with considerable open fields/woods might find TV rather compact with small lots and close neighbors. There are millions of people across this beautiful country and this place will not be for everyone. Nor should we expect everyone to understand our choice to live here. There is nothing wrong with our or others opinions."
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
It can't be all R's as the D's won. TV is not right for some but it's right for me.

I tend to think that some people gives reasons as why they don't like it because some people don't like change and are very resistance to starting a new lifestyle.

Ive heard:
1. It's too hot in the summer.
2. Too many bugs.
3. Aligators are going to get you.

I can se some people wanting to stay near their children and grandchildren. I have also seen people say they see their children and grandchildren more since TV is close to Disney World.

To each their own.
Disney World is a huge draw, however, with limited school vacations , we would expect the grandchildren to fly down once or twice a year at the very most. Both of our sets of 5 grandchildren total do not live a driveable distance to The Villages......so would have to fly.

When they were babies, with no commitments, it was easier for their parents to bring them "home" much more often.........but we all know what happens once they start school, town activities, church activities and sports, plus all of their friends birthday parties and sleepovers..........they all become overscheduled.......and visits to the grandparents lessen.

But this is healthy and normal. Not all families still live in the same neighborhood or even the same town or state.

So, now it's time for us. We've weighed all of these considerations.

But...............the alligators are still worrisome...........(just kidding).

p.s.
Many folks are adventerous and have relocated to other parts of the country during their lifetimes. However, many others do find solace in the "familiar".........and if they were lucky enough to live in a nice community with very little stress for over 43 years, the only thing that will get them to MOVE is usually the weather (cold, damp, rainy, snowy, icy, etc.) which although tolerable when younger......just gets old after too many long winters................and what was once a great family home becomes way too humongous to care for. Often, less is more...........
Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Gold member

It really doesn't matter if everyone likes it here. There will always be people that like more open spaces, people that don't golf and don't see the reason to move to an area that has so many courses..people that don't want to be this far from family, people that HATE restrictions, etc, etc.........but for the rest of us...it's great! Not that I would ever do it, but I love the idea of being able to run over to my neighbors to borrow a cup of sugar if I need to. I miss that, the idea of old fashioned neighborhoods, being able to invite people over to just hang out, b**ch about world problems and just enjoy being together. This is my view of The Villages and I am so happy we are here.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Default hmmmm

I have often said....

Give em a million, and they ask why not a million and one?
Chandler, AZ
Battle Creek, MI
Old 03-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
For those people who live and enjoy the amenities of a large city center - they may have difficulty imagining themselves in an "isolated" community. In the same way, those who live in a small rural town with considerable open fields/woods might find TV rather compact with small lots and close neighbors. There are millions of people across this beautiful country and this place will not be for everyone. Nor should we expect everyone to understand our choice to live here. There is nothing wrong with our or others opinions. We should not need other people (visitors) to validate our reasons for choosing the villages. Rather than being possibly offended if someone does not embrace TV with the same enthusiasm as we do, lets just keep it "our little secret". TV sells itself to the people who are receptive.....the others belong somewhere else!
EXCELLENT POST. Well said.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Gold member

I had a brother visit. I knew he would not like the place and I knew he would tell me. I did not ask him since I knew he was going to tell me before he left. When he told me he did not like this place I said I know what you mean that is how I feel about where you live. He got mad. Go figure!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
A cousin does not like TV because there are too many old people. A friend likes TV but feels you get more house for your buck outside of TV and you can still partake in many of the things TV offers.
I am glad I am old enought to live in TV. I already did the big house, big yard, inground pool when I was younger with a growing family. I am glad I now have a small house and yard so I have more time to participate in TV activities.
I love living here. My quality of life has improved 1000% since we moved here last year. We too have done the big house, pool, yada yada. But living here has been so liberating with fewer responsibilities, more time for fun!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 AM
Platinum member

My wife's friends came to visit us in The Villages. They have a place in Tampa and stopped over on their return to NY. During their three hour visit they sat in the kitchen shooting the bull and drinking coffee. I offered them a golf cart tour but they declined. I offered to take them to Cody's and get a bite to eat and again they declined. For three hours all they did was sit...never leaving the house. A few days later they tell my wife "The Villages did nothing for them and they weren't impressed."
Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Location: natives of La Porte, IN, moved here from central IN to Santiago via Country Club Hills

...again different strokes for different folks...we are happy and content here, our kids are happy for us. (The son-in-law (32) wants to live in TV, now!) Priorities change and when you find a place that fits most if not all of your priorities it's special.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Default Cocoons.

Have a long time family friend who hated the Villages. Did not even like the polo games but raved about their hot dog stand's dogs and even asked them where they got their meat. He has probably moved 30 times during his lifetime though as he gets sick fairly quickly of his surroundings and just gets up and moves again.

Usually the family members who have not wanted to move to the Villages had long established friendships and personal memories attached to certain places and did not want to move even if all their children had moved out of these cocoons.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
My wife's friends came to visit us in The Villages. They have a place in Tampa and stopped over on their return to NY. During their three hour visit they sat in the kitchen shooting the bull and drinking coffee. I offered them a golf cart tour but they declined. I offered to take them to Cody's and get a bite to eat and again they declined. For three hours all they did was sit...never leaving the house. A few days later they tell my wife "The Villages did nothing for them and they weren't impressed."
I think this post sums up a lot of why we are discussing this. I can honestly say I have never gone to visit somebody, at their invitation, and gave them an evaluation and analysis of their home, neighborhood and town.

Even though they LOVE it, in NYC I never told them, "The streets and buildings are dirt-coated and too close together and the rent is too damn high".

In Chicago suburbs and "The City"--capitalized and pronounced/enunciated reverently like "The Son of God"--I never told them "I could never live here, sitting in the car on the so-called "express"way for three hours trying to go 3 miles. And there are too many democrats and the STD rate is too high" (never mind the fact we've been married and had the same and only partner for the last 40 years).

We didn't go there to evaluate and critique where they live, but to visit with them and enjoy the things and places they like....and we liked also.

Last edited by ilovetv; 03-30-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.