Frogs

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2015, 04:56 PM
Sage
Default Frogs

I'm just bored and thought I'd see if I could start a discussion for the full-timers here in TV. I know it's probably been discussed a bunch, but I don't really recall much recently, so what the heck...

I'm starting my second year here, so I'm still a novice at learning the differences between the busy season and the summer. Crowds obviously, but I'd like to hear anything you have to say related to being a frog...or not.

So far, I can say I really enjoyed our one summer here. I have my Dad's genes and he just loved the heat. Never heard him complain even once about the heat after moving from Ohio. I like playing golf late on a summer day, finishing up as the sun sets. I don't really get the same feeling on a crowded course when the sun goes down at 5 or 6 o'clock. And the cost of playing the championship courses after 5:00?!!? Can't beat that! But it's not just the golf. I like the general 'feel' of the summer, as intangible as that might be.

I like the winter too. Has it's own appeal...the vitality of all the crowds, cool/cold evenings, football, all the other peak season stuff. But I do really like being here year-round so far. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:22 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'm just bored and thought I'd see if I could start a discussion for the full-timers here in TV. I know it's probably been discussed a bunch, but I don't really recall much recently, so what the heck...

I'm starting my second year here, so I'm still a novice at learning the differences between the busy season and the summer. Crowds obviously, but I'd like to hear anything you have to say related to being a frog...or not.

So far, I can say I really enjoyed our one summer here. I have my Dad's genes and he just loved the heat. Never heard him complain even once about the heat after moving from Ohio. I like playing golf late on a summer day, finishing up as the sun sets. I don't really get the same feeling on a crowded course when the sun goes down at 5 or 6 o'clock. And the cost of playing the championship courses after 5:00?!!? Can't beat that! But it's not just the golf. I like the general 'feel' of the summer, as intangible as that might be.

I like the winter too. Has it's own appeal...the vitality of all the crowds, cool/cold evenings, football, all the other peak season stuff. But I do really like being here year-round so far. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Your comments summarize my thoughts exactly. I like the differences between Winter and Summer, and all the winter residents add to the energy of the place.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have my Dad's genes and he just loved the heat.
Boy, that's some pair of pants.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

I've lived in Fla 52 out of my 61 years on Earth. I still hate the summer (and I was a teacher!) weather. That why the Good Lord and John Gorrie gave us AC.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
I've lived in Fla 52 out of my 61 years on Earth. I still hate the summer (and I was a teacher!) weather. That why the Good Lord and John Gorrie gave us AC.
If you are thinking about moving to a different planet, think Mars not Mercury.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Your comments summarize my thoughts exactly. I like the differences between Winter and Summer, and all the winter residents add to the energy of the place.

I really like your term "winter residents." It' so much nicer than the term snowbirds with all the negative connotations that people have given it.

We are permanent since 7/13. I enjoy the cooler weather. Can walk my Michigan dog in the daylight. I like to put jeans and sweaters on every once in a while. I'm not crazy about 97 degrees in August, but oh well. I'd much rather suffer the summer heat down here than the winter cold up north.

And the traffic down here is a piece of cake!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

We've spent 3 weeks total there; 1 during August (drinking the Kool-Aid) and 2 during November (closing on the home). I love the heat (grew up on a cotton farm in Arkansas) and hate the cold (spent all but 2 of my 61 years in the Midwest, it's snowing right now in KC); full time in TV is coming up real quickly.

And, the best news is that my shoulder Doc said I could start chipping and hitting mid-irons now with going back to fully playing in mid March.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:56 PM
Platinum member

I have lived in Florida for 25 years and enjoy the summers. For me, it is too cool this time of year. For those who think it is too humid in the summer, I say you have never experienced a subway platform in NYC in the middle of July. I am happy as a Frog and can think of no better place to retire than this highly active and social environment that we call The Villages!!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The heat I can tolerate. The humidity about kills me. Just can't get used to it. As a kid, I loved most of the countries we lived but I loathed Panama cause it rained every afternoon and the air was oppressive. Same thing here in August. Otherwise, I find the weather bearable year round. I'm rarely cold and chuckle when I see folks out dressed for blizzard weather. If the nothing didn't have snow and icy roads, I'd probably move but it does so I won't.

There are two similar times of the year I hate. I especially hate driving my cart during those seasons and since I gave my car to my daughter, I really hate those two periods of time. To me, the visitors are truly unwelcome. Lovebugs are the bane of my life here.

I love the vitality and joy the snowbirds and renters bring to TV. They make waiting in line to eat or whatever worth the extra time. Coming from SF, the traffic is really not a factor to me. I like the discounts we get during the slow season. We frogs get the best weather to ourselves and can just enjoy the outdoors with few visitors to worry about. All in all, TV is great year round except when those pesky lovebugs are here and at least they're harmless.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-01-2015, 07:04 AM
Sage

I love the heat but I admit, last summer was a little brutal. Weather people said it 10 degrees above normal. I stopped looking at the weather report as it was the same every day, as it was in the 90's, real feel 105 to 110 with rain every day. Rained every day in July, August and September. A friend one day asked me if I thought it was going to rain and I replied, "it's not a question of whether if it will rain, but when. If one plans to do something outside for a while, it would be better to performed in the early AM, or in the evening.

Coming from New York, I don't find the traffic to be that terrible during the winter season. On must accept the fact it is going to take a little longer to get where you need to be. After all, we are in a rush to go, where? I think it would be prudent to take extra care as non residents, may not navigate the roundabouts correctly. Plus, there are more cars on the road. It's always good to drive defensively.

All in all, I take Florida over the snow regions, any day. They have getting slammed in the northeast, with the snow.

Life is good, in TV.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-01-2015, 09:16 AM

I love it here! I don't get as lost now, am learning about the plants and birds, swimming, painting and getting "familiarity" with new friends and neighbors. I can't seem to stop smiling and finding stuff to laugh about. I try to avoid the midday sun in the summer and bask in it's warmth in the winter. It's home now and I don't care if I ever see snow again.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
If you are thinking about moving to a different planet, think Mars not Mercury.
no venus either, it's hotter than mercury
Old 02-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I love the heat but I admit, last summer was a little brutal. Weather people said it 10 degrees above normal. I stopped looking at the weather report as it was the same every day, as it was in the 90's, real feel 105 to 110 with rain every day. Rained every day in July, August and September. A friend one day asked me if I thought it was going to rain and I replied, "it's not a question of whether if it will rain, but when. If one plans to do something outside for a while, it would be better to performed in the early AM, or in the evening.

Coming from New York, I don't find the traffic to be that terrible during the winter season. On must accept the fact it is going to take a little longer to get where you need to be. After all, we are in a rush to go, where? I think it would be prudent to take extra care as non residents, may not navigate the roundabouts correctly. Plus, there are more cars on the road. It's always good to drive defensively.

All in all, I take Florida over the snow regions, any day. They have getting slammed in the northeast, with the snow.

Life is good, in TV.

We get daily T-storms because we live in the lightning capitol of the World. Sea Breezes from the Gulf and Atlantic converge here and uplift all of that hot humid air creating our storms. Typical of Florida in the Summer. My wife and I grew up when AC was a luxury (although almost every house I lived in on Key West at least had bedroom window units) but my wife grew up in LA (lower alabama). Her house in Panama City only had jalousie windows. Key West High only had one wing with AC so it was always fun sweating on our tests. Try living here in the summer without AC, it's not fun.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:49 PM

We have just had our second summer as full time residents and I have to say I am very happy on several levels. I don't mind the "heat and humidity" of the summer as long as the lanai fans work, I enjoy the thunderstorms, and oddly the changes in "winter" and the arrival of the northerners gives the place a bit of a seasonal feel. I do occasionally miss a real fireplace, but today in Michigan it is around 16f, wind at 40 mph I regret not a second being in Florida, year 'round.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Sage

I moved to South Florida in 1953 and down there they call it tourist season in the winter as compared to snowbird season here. Down there it was mostly tourist or visitors not winter residents. Miami Beach, the hotels, and a lot of Miami restaurants closed for the summer since there wasn't enough business to support them through the summer. Years later the summer tourist started to show up since hotels offered half price deals and It has been going great ever since.
The heat and humidity are a trademark of Florida but the humidity is not nearly as bad up here in The Villages as it is down there.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.