Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Fruit Trees in TV? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/fruit-trees-tv-11164/)

Sgt Mac 01-04-2008 01:14 AM

Re: Fruit Trees in TV?

How about Fruit Fly . . . will their be a lot of spraying?

Da Sgt

twynsmom 01-04-2008 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
???
We moved to the Twin Cities (MN), from the Bay Area (CA), 7 years ago because of a job. Doing so has been great in many ways but I miss the wonderful fruit trees we had in our backyard in California. Now our next move will be to TV. When we visited last spring I was concentrating on other things and failed to notice...Are there fruit trees in peoples yards in TV? Particularly Citrus. Are there rules and regs about plantings in TV? I have hear no vegetable gardens, but what if you buy a Villa? I mostly want container gardening and fruit trees is that okay in TV?
Susan

cold :2excited:

Susan&Tom, We too relocated from CA to MO and now we have a place in TV. The first thing we planted was Valencia Oranges and 2 Camellia's. None of these will go in MO. It is so nice to have all the beautiful flowers, fruits and veggies, we have missed for the past 10 years. :welcome: to TV

Just Susan 01-04-2008 02:39 AM

Well I just got home from work and it is time for my daily TV fix.

To twynsmom, It makes me happy to hear that someone with a similar story is already living where we so totally want to be. I want to feel the warm weather and be immersed in all the activities of TV. All of yoiu enjoy it for those of us who live vicariously through you. It feels like I am there when I read of your exploits.

Kathie, I look forward to your PM although I have no idea how I will know when you do it. Does it come in the chat room? I have never been able to get into that. I am really not that bad with computers, but I can't figure that one out.

To Handie, you are entertaining...funny that you put your wife in the freezer...I keep my husband in the oven and its worked, he is very hot!

and Skip I always look forward to reading your comments. I think you must be very wise.

Susan

Hyacinth Bucket 01-04-2008 02:50 AM

Hi, I want to plant a grapefruit tree. Wish we could have Mangoes also, but I was told we are to far north.

Veggies -I heard that they can only be planted in a container, not to sure what the restrictions are, if any, if you live in a villa.

The house we bought has a lemon and an orange tree. Did not get any lemons this year, will have to find out why. If anyone in TOTV knows, please let me know.

We belong to a CSA farm here and I will miss our weekly pick up of organic veggies, berries etc.

Perhaps we should have a gardening thread here on TOTV - or expand this one to include veggies and herbs.

HB

The Great Fumar 01-04-2008 02:56 AM

susan&tom
Not to worry, I have a couple of lemon's next door and they have fruit trees.........
Fumar

Just Susan 01-04-2008 03:03 AM

Fumar...another funny guy!

Just Susan 01-04-2008 03:26 AM

Hi Hyacinth Bucket, I think that is a great idea. I don't plan on doing a lot of gardening, but I am interested in herbs and a few veggies including homegrown tomatoes for which there is no substitute...and of course the aforementioned citrus trees.

I think at this stage of my life I would like to experiment with both vintage seeds and maybe breed something new. It would be fun to swap seeds, plant cuttings etc.

If you start it now I will join you when we move to TV...still have to sell the northern home, like so many of us. I have a friend who is also moving to TV soon who I am sure will want to join us...am I right Nance?

Hyacinth Bucket 01-04-2008 03:40 AM

Hi Susan,

There is a heritage seed bank for tomatoes and other veggies. I can see if I can get some seeds from our local farmer.

There is also an international seed exchange program that I believe is for heritage veggies only. I am on there mailing list, I will let you know the next time I receive an email from them.

I have not explored the TV area to see if anyone grows veggies from seeds that are not modified in any way. Hope I find a place.

Looking forward to meeting you. It will be great to have a longer growing season.

Hyacinth Bucket

beady 01-04-2008 01:58 PM

HB,
Great idea for a gardening thread. I am totally out of my element with gardening in this climate. I could use a lot of help and advise.

nanci2539 01-04-2008 02:50 PM

Your right Susan - my home is up for sale now so we sit and wait. I am a garden nut! We live in IL and have apple, pear and plum trees in our yard now.

The gardening thread is a nice idea, especially if you already live in TV. You can give us potential new comers many gardening secrets. I'm sure what we plant up north may not work in FLA!

Just Susan 01-04-2008 03:16 PM

One of the times we have been to Florida, we visited a unique place called the Fruit and Spice Park. It is in Homestead, FL. I wanted to go because when we were in Thailand and Vietnam we ate some of the most indescribably delicious fruits that you can ever, ever imagine. The Fruit and Spice Park has them in their proper seasons. Might be a fun trip to take. Here is the link to it: http://www.floridaplants.com/fruit&spice/

Another catalog of interest may be Richters. They send me catalogs. I don't use them right now, because all I do is work, so I am not sure they apply to Florida's weather. This is their link: http://www.richters.com/
Gotta go
PS glad you are interested Nance.

samhass 01-04-2008 03:38 PM

I planted eight citrus trees, one fig and three papaya. The citrus and fig are fine. The papaya looks very wilted. I hope they come back. The impatiens went kaput but I cut them back and they will return. All the palms survived! Life is good!

mmclover 01-04-2008 04:30 PM

I am a gardener as well, and will miss my big garden when I get TV. I usually plant a gareden 50x40 with herbs, veggies and numerious flower gardens. Actually looking forward to downsizing a bit, but am hopeful that I can plant some fruit trees, herbs and tomatoes. Has anyone tried the hanging cucumbers? Does holly grow in Florida? A garden thread would be great. Just waiting for my house to sell so I can join you all.

Hyacinth Bucket 01-04-2008 07:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

Tony, the Administrator, has split this topic into two threads. To find the other thread please go to https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm...topicseen.html.

I do not know if there is an easy way to get all the great questions and thoughts moved to the other thread, so that there will only be one thread. Does anyone know of a way?

The new thread is not under General Villages Discussions.

Hyacinth Bucket

Skip 01-04-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyacinth Bucket
Did not get any lemons this year, will have to find out why. If anyone in TOTV knows, please let me know.
HB

The lemon is probably NOT self-pollenating.

Skip