Fruit Trees in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Gold member
Default Fruit Trees in TV?

???
We moved to the Twin Cities (MN), from the Bay Area (CA), 7 years ago because of a job. Doing so has been great in many ways but I miss the wonderful fruit trees we had in our backyard in California. Now our next move will be to TV. When we visited last spring I was concentrating on other things and failed to notice...Are there fruit trees in peoples yards in TV? Particularly Citrus. Are there rules and regs about plantings in TV? I have hear no vegetable gardens, but what if you buy a Villa? I mostly want container gardening and fruit trees is that okay in TV?
Susan
Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Sage
Default Re: Fruit Trees in TV?

Susan,

I see lots of orange, grapefruit, lemon, and lime trees around. There was an article in the paper about a guy who did apple trees.

I'm not aware of any special limitations on citrus trees...I've seen them in the front and the back.

Lots of fruit pickin' going on today in advance of tonight's freeze.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Gold member

Thanks, I was hoping that would be the answer. Is there any difference in gardening restrictions between Villas and homes without fences?

I can't wait until I have to worry about picking the fruit instead of whether the driveway was plowed.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:09 AM

Susan & Tom, not to worry about the driveway being plowed. Whenever we have six or more inches of snow,,the plowing is free. :joke: Of course, I'm kidding.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Dancing Thyme

Susan & Tom: Great question. I'm from L.A. and was hoping I could have some citrus trees also, especially Meyer Lemon trees, the greatest lemons on earth. Also will do a veggie garden as well. Maybe we could compare notes when I move there too.

Kathie

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Gold member

Thanks for the offer to plow Frank, I intend to call you if the snow gets to 6" or more in TV.

Kathie, Do you intend to grow your veggies in containers? I have heard that no in ground veggie gardens are allowed. Don't know if that is true. Of course we can compare notes when we both move there. I used to garden but don't do much anymore. I want fresh herbs, some tomatoes and fruit trees. I like Eureka lemons the best. Grapefruit sounds good and of course one needs a lime tree for margaritas.

I do so wish we were already there. I am so ready to play.
Susan
Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Gold member

Fruit trees are on my list when we relandscape our back yard. Can't wait to pick grapefruit and serve it for breakfast.I am also planning on some herbs mixed in with the plantings and a couple of containers for grape and cherry tomatoes. Life is just not right without fresh herbs,tomatoes,and fruit fresh off the tree.The best part is we can do it right here in TV.
: :
Old 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07
Susan, I see lots of orange, grapefruit, lemon, and lime trees around.
Better investigate before you invest. Limes won't survive this far north unless you get a lime-quat (Lime grafted on Kumquat stock). Fruit is yellow not green, but it's a lime taste. Be careful which orange, grapefruit and lemon you choose too. Some won't survive this far north. Some are self pollinating, others need a mate nearby or they won't bear fruit. Kumquats (especially Meiwas) do very well down to 25 degrees. They're tasty too. You eat the skin. Attend the Kumquat Festival in Dade City on January 26th for fun, food and quality tree stock.

As for vegetable gardens, check your deed restrictions carefully.

Skip
Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM

You should probably check with the Architectural Review Board. My wife checked into fruit trees, and where we are, Sumter Co. south of 466, she was told no fruit trees are allowed in the front of the house. If anyone has a variety of grapefruit tree that has done well in this area, we'd be interested in knowing. My wife wants to plant a pink grapefruit tree out back.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

Last October, when we were down, our close friends in Virginia Trace told us to help ourselves to the limes on their tree. Being a Northerner and used to store bought limes, I never new how juicy a fresh picked lime could be. I have no idea of the variety name, all I know is, they were yummy. Go for it.

Handie :joke:
Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Dancing Thyme

Yes, and fresh lemons and pink grapefruits are incredible. Nothing like them. I'll have to check about the veggie garden, Skip, my last house I had a garden plot about 20x30 with about 20 tomato plants, 10 peppers, and many other veggies. Including watermelons and pumpkins. So much fun, a lot of work but very rewarding. Never did well with corn, too many worms. Haven't done container gardening but worth a try in TV. Susan, I'll pm you so we can chat off topic.

If the veggie garden goes as planned, I'll set up a stand in front of my house to share with all of you. To be continued...... K.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Sage

I live south of 466 in TV and have a pink grapefruit tree and a key lime tree in the back yard. I covered them and they seem to have survivied the hard frost.

A landscaping company said not to pick the fruit, that a frost only makes the fruit sweeter. :dontknow:
Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
I live south of 466 in TV and have a pink grapefruit tree and a key lime tree in the back yard. I covered them and they seem to have survived the hard frost.

A landscaping company said not to pick the fruit, that a frost only makes the fruit sweeter. :dontknow:
I just returned from putting Mrs Handie in the freezer only for a brief minute or so. I hope what you said about a frost making things sweeter works ;D
Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this subject, its the :joke: in me
Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

1rnfl that was so funny handieman 1rnfl
Old 01-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
I just returned from putting Mrs Handie in the freezer only for a brief minute or so. I hope what you said about a frost making things sweeter works ;D
Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this subject, its the :joke: in me
Hand, sometimes hijacking a subject is worth it. You are so funny.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.