Fruitland Park Tax Increase

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts
Default Fruitland Park Tax Increase

For those living in the villages of Pine Ridge and Pine Hills, looks like the "city" of Fruitland Park thinks you have deep pockets and wants to tap them:

NOTICE OF PROPOSED TAX INCREASE

The City of Fruitland Park has tentatively adopted a measure to increase its property tax levy.

All concerned citizens are invited to attend a public hearing on the tax increase to be held on:

Thursday, September 28
6:00 pm @
The City of Fruitland Park Commission Chamber
506 West Berckman St.
Fruitland Park, Florida 34731

A FINAL DECISION on the proposal and budget will be made at this hearing.

Let's see, over 2000 new homes (and the base tax revenue that comes with that) and yet they want more??
Old 09-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Sage
Default Fruitland Park Tax Increase

Sucks for the residents here. You’ll be fighting every year against this two bit so called city.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Sucks for the residents here. You’ll be fighting every year against this two bit so called city.
Sounds like an informed statement.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
For those living in the villages of Pine Ridge and Pine Hills, looks like the "city" of Fruitland Park thinks you have deep pockets and wants to tap them:

The City of Fruitland Park has tentatively adopted a measure to increase its property tax levy.

All concerned citizens are invited to attend a public hearing on the tax increase to be held on:

Thursday, September 28
6:00 pm @
The City of Fruitland Park Commission Chamber
506 West Berckman St.
Fruitland Park, Florida 34731

A FINAL DECISION on the proposal and budget will be made at this hearing.

Let's see, over 2000 new homes (and the base tax revenue that comes with that) and yet they want more??
Everybody is trying to profit $$$ from a piece of the pie.

Maybe it will help the city development, maybe not.....but sure as the sun shines, no organization wants to be left out of a share the immense profits flowing in.

in my opinion....anyway..
Old 09-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran member

If you read the details of this proposal, the tax rate for next year is EXACTLY the same as last year's tax rate.

They are required to call it an increase, because it is above the "roll back" tax rate, which is based upon the increase of property tax values over the previous year.

Clear as mud? That's what Tallahassee wants with the way they set up the law to report tax rates....it's what allows Sumter County to claim that they're "reducing" their taxes every year, when in fact the actual taxes being collected are far outpacing the increase in population, but the rate based upon valuation is decreasing.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
If you read the details of this proposal, the tax rate for next year is EXACTLY the same as last year's tax rate.

They are required to call it an increase, because it is above the "roll back" tax rate, which is based upon the increase of property tax values over the previous year.

Clear as mud? That's what Tallahassee wants with the way they set up the law to report tax rates....it's what allows Sumter County to claim that they're "reducing" their taxes every year, when in fact the actual taxes being collected are far outpacing the increase in population, but the rate based upon valuation is decreasing.
confusing government mumbo jumbo.......
Old 09-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Bogie. If it weren't for your astute assessment of things on this forum and your handy phone numbers we wouldn't find our way sometimes..

As for the taxes, voters still can choose who raises and lowers them. See who is out to take advantage and vote them out.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post

Oh yeah, The City of Fruitland Park. Gimme a break, what a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

That is excellent information. I am sure it will comfort those who are worried. Living on a fixed income is not the same as waiting for a bonus or extra money here and there.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 AM
Veteran member
Unhappy It Ain't Gonna Happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Bogie. If it weren't for your astute assessment of things on this forum and your handy phone numbers we wouldn't find our way sometimes..

As for the taxes, voters still can choose who raises and lowers them. See who is out to take advantage and vote them out.
If it hasn't happened by now, it probably won't happen in the future.

This is an area of the "good 'ole boys," or hadn't you noticed???
Old 09-28-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

This is one area that I agree with you. Even worse are the judges that keep getting voted back in!

But back on topic I read the same notice and saw that final statement of no increases. I'm researching trying to learn as much as I can about Florida/Sumter as I can before we permanently move to TV and I can start voting there. Watch out politicians
Old 09-28-2017, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

You are right on, most people have no clue how Municipalities are run.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
confusing government mumbo jumbo.......
But fact. They do seem to deflate the opinions of those that speak without facts, or take shots at people or organizations with no basis. It's easier to pull out the mumbo jumbo card when something isn't or can't be understood.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

Well, let's see. 2,000 new homes with 4,000 new voters. Looking at the average turnout for elections in FP, I wouldn't rile the bear if I were an elected official in FP.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Well, let's see. 2,000 new homes with 4,000 new voters. Looking at the average turnout for elections in FP, I wouldn't rile the bear if I were an elected official in FP.
If I remember correctly, Fruitland Park established separate voting districts as a condition of The Villages building so that those 4,000 voters could not control the city.

Tags
tax, increase, park, fruitland, city

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.