Funny Stuff in Real Life

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Sage
Default Funny Stuff in Real Life

I thought I try to inject more humor in TOTV by things that happened to people in their real life. I'll go first.

A friend of mine asked me to fix his child broken barking dog that moved and barked with the clapping of one's hands. I got my tools and pulled out my meter and started to check why the dog was not moving and barking. I found a switch postion had been moved to the "off" position. I put in the switch to the "on" position.

I asked him to clap his hands and the dog moved and barked. He asked what was wrong.

I replied, "the dog was deaf". He got hysterical which started me laughing.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Sage

Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Gold member

When my daughter was around 5 years old she was in Blue Birds (similar to brownies). She came home one day quite excited and told me that her troop had made homemade cookies. I said "That's great! Did you make them from scratch?"...she looked at me with a confused look on her face and said "No, we didn't use scratch...we used flour and sugar."
Old 07-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Sage

When my son was three and we used to go to my sister's house where he could play with my nephew and niece. I told him one Sunday we couldn't go because Aunt Carol was in the hospital with pnuemonia.

He replied, my grandma has that and "spic and span" too.

He was wondering why I laughed so hard.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Dumb and Dumber notebook

My husband keep a notebook of his dumb and dumber incidents. A particularly silly one involved his trying to use the electric drill to make a hole in the stone to mount a decoration at the front door. He couldn't get the drill to penetrate, so he went to the hardware store to get what he felt might be a stronger bit, but that didn't work, so he called a friend over who was a handyman and he took the drill and like magic, he drilled a hole. When Michael asked how he did it, he grinned and said, "it helps to have it off reverse!" Boy did Michael feel sheepish.

Another time, just before we were having a neighbourhood party, he thought he was being very careful as he sprayed the weeds with an herbicide but of course there were brown spots all over the front lawn. On the day of the party, a neighbour called out to him " are you spraying paint on the grass?" as he was covering up the spots with green spray paint. Another entry for the dumb and dumber notebook.

LW888
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

When I was coaching high school basketball we played an away game and one of the officials was a novice. I had been warned by the other school's athletic director and he apologized, but had been put in a bad situation by a last minute cancellation by the official that was supposed to work. Well we had a number of run-ins during the game, disagreement on calls, which is not unusual, but the number was unusual. The other referee was known to me and was competent, but this replacement ref wasn't satisfied to let him control the game, oh no, he made every call all over the court. Finally in the fourth quarter of a close game one of my guards was dribbling the ball into our end of the court, when the ball accidentally hit his foot. It bounced to one of my other players who picked it up when the whistle suddenly blew. The replacement official called out "kicking the ball" and gave the other team posession. I went ballistic and motioned to him to come over to discuss the call, but he refused. I told the other ref that the call was ridiculous, but he said, sorry coach, but it wasn't my call. So I called a timeout and told by assistant to take the huddle. I went to the scorers table and again motioned him to come talk to me, but again, he refused. So I had to walk across the floor to the opponents side of the court while they all booed me, and confront him. I said "Sir, you do know that in order for that to be a violation it has to be intentional don't you?" He nodded yes - so I said "well you have had the opportunity to watch my team for over an hour now and you should know that we are barely able to pass the ball accurately with our hands. We most definitely do not intentionally try to pass it by kicking it." He said "coach if you don't go back to the bench I am going to have to call a technical foul" I said "THAT would be by far the best call you have made all night". He didn't call the T and he didn't change the decision, but at least it gave me a story to tell for the last 30 years. BTW we won by 2 points -- Alls well that ends well!d
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM

My Dad was a state drivers license examiner in a state where there was both a 'driving' portion of the test (in the car) and an oral examination. One day my Dad was giving an exam to a recent immigrant (about 60 YOA) who was hoping to earn his first license in this country. Based on their casual conversation, he was a laborer who knew his way around machinery. One of the questions in the oral exam was "What would you do if you came upon a traffic light that was blinking yellow?" The examinee replied "That depends." Somewhat confused, my Dad asked what it depended upon. The recent immigrant replied "If I'm in a hurry I just go on through; but if I have time, I stop and fix it for you!"

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

That's funny Rebel! I'm sure your dad told that one for years!

LW888
Old 07-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Sage

My friend decided to use his fireplace one evening. He mentioned to his wife he was going to buy sterno logs that each one lasts for three hours.

She replied, "why don't you put all three on and they'll last for nine hours".

You can't make this stuff up folks.

Last edited by 2BNTV; 07-30-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
That's funny Rebel! I'm sure your dad told that one for years!

LW888
He did indeed! He told many humorous stories from his days as a license examiner - many of them revolved around the mis-understanding/mis-communication common for recent immigrants for whom English was a second language.

Another story (that revolved around a native born US citizen) took place in the winter when the roads (including the off-road driving course) were covered with snow. He was in the passenger seat as the driver/examinee pulled back into the row of vehicles in front of the examination center. As she got closer and closer to the police car parked in front of her, his voice grew more insistent and louder that she step on the brakes - which she never did. After they climbed out of the car and surveyed the damage, my Dad asked her why she didn't apply the brakes. She replied that she knew conditions were slippery and she feared that if she used her brakes she would skid and have an "accident." So, he asked her how she would describe this collision...and whether it should be called an "on-purpose"?

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

My daughter was an absolute cutie when she was little and she knew it. One day, she pulled some stunt (can't remember what but it was pretty bad and deliberate on her part). I looked at her and asked, "What makes you think you can get away with that?"

With a perfectly straight face, she looks up at me and says, "Cause I'm so cute!"

It took all of my will power to not burst out laughing as I sent her to her room.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Sage

One summer about 20 years ago, I was preparing for a big party at my home to honor my top salespeople. We had a wet spring and the mosquitos were abundant and hungry. The day of the party I told a couple of my employees I was going home to do battle with the mosquitos. I stopped and bought several mosquito foggers and headed home. I fogged the bushes and all around the patio and pool area where the party would be taking place. I then decided I had to skim the pool, so I got the skimmer and began the work. As I was wielding the skimmer a big mosquito landed on my temple and inserted his/her beak. I let go of the skimmer with one hand and slapped the mosquito. Got him! However, the blow knocked my glasses off and into the deep end of the pool. Now this was in Fargo North Dakota and we had a very cool summer, so the water temp was about 60 degrees, so I was not about to jump in a retreive the glasses just a couple hours before 30 guests were to show up. So the party went off without my glasses - one of my employees asked me when he showed up, "well how did the battle with the mosquitos go?" I replied, "They won."

The rest of the story occured the next day when we were supposed to leave on a weeks vacation, and I needed to retreive the glasses. The water in the pool was so cold I put on a sweat suit, in order to mitigate the cold. I put my feet in the water and sat on the side of the pool for about five minutes, getting up the nerve to absorb the inevitable shock. Finally I dived in - Franklin Delano, was that cold! I made a couple of dives into the deep end and finally came up with the glasses - EUREKA --- except the glasses had a loose lens that had come out and still was resting on the bottom. Now I had a clear lens laying in 10 feet of freezing (comparatively) water that I had to go back down and find. It took about five dives holding my breath as long as possible each time and feeling around with my hands on the bottom, to finally find the lens. Meanwhile a neighbor having heard me thrashing around, came to the fence and seeing me emerge in my soaked sweat suit, said, what in the hell are you doing? I replied, "You don't want to know, but as for the mosquitos - live and let live!"
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Referring to a new medication, I said, "Damn, I forgot to take that stupid pill."

Without missing a beat, my wife said, "You don't need it."
Old 07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Referring to a new medication, I said, "Damn, I forgot to take that stupid pill."

Without missing a beat, my wife said, "You don't need it."
Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Location: Wisconsin, San Antonio, Germany, Korea, Alabama and soon The Villages

When my daughter was about 4 years old we had to drive from Alabama to Wisconsin in the dead of winter. There was a horrible snowstorm and the interstate going through Kentucky was covered with snow and ice. Needless to say, I was quite nervous. My daughter kept saying, "mom, mom, mom" and when I asked what, she would say, "nothing". After a couple more rounds of mom, mom, mom, I said, "I'm going to change my name!" She quickly replied, "how about Dumbo."

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.