Furnace & A/C in Laundry Room

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Default Furnace & A/C in Laundry Room

1. Can anyone tell me how much noise, or other disadvantages, there are with having the furnace & A/C in the laundry room of a ranch, where that room is right next to the kitchen and living room? I think the need for air prevents replacing the louvered door with a solid door.

2. Has anyone moved it to the garage? Cost of doing that?
Old 06-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Platinum member

Our A/C and laundry is inside next to the kitchen and as far as the noise goes, it really depends on how much noise your units make. We replaced both of these over the years and the newer ones are so much more quieter that you don't even realize it is running. We do have a solid door and can always close that if we need to but never do. The only thing we hear is the little bell saying the laundry is done.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

We enclosed our A/C unit in our laundry room. We really couldn't hear it running, just did it for a more cleaner look. We put louvered shutters in as a way for it to get air flow to it and to be able to service it.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

No problem. Leave the louvered door for air flow.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Sage

The only disadvantage I ever experienced with that configuration was the fact it certainly didn't look very nice; however, I would choose that over laundry in the garage anyday. Looked into enclosing it for asthetic purposes and I believe it was around $600. Never got around to it cause we moved.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM

Thanks everyone. Any additional information from others is still welcome.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:11 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I have seen these covered up with louvered doors with no problems. You stated that this was a furnace with an A/C "A coil" above the furnace. That is fine. In the newer homes in the southern part of The Villages you would find a total electric heat pump Air handler. If it IS a gas furnace, you would want to make sure it was not completely closed off...thus the preference of louvered doors.

The one benefit of this is that if the air handler does have any leakage, it is already in conditioned space, so it would not have a negative impact.

I think if it was a real problem, you would read many threads here with folks complaining about it......but you do not.

Frank

Tags
room, furnace, a/c, laundry, door, living, air, louvered, garage, cost, moved, replacing, solid, prevents, noise, disadvantages, ranch, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.