Furnishing a totally empty Courtyard Villa the easy way

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Sage
Default Furnishing a totally empty Courtyard Villa the easy way

Yikes! I've been reading the posts on "What is the success rate of buying then renting out" and the following comments were made about furnishing a new place: (Off topic, may I add, so I've started a new post) topicop where are you, :cop:

Kitria: "For 3 days we went out to either Target or Walmart from 7 am to 2am the next morning. We got a carful, deployed, took out bags and boxes..then went out again."
Larydube: "Running around like a chicken with our head cut off"
Hand: "Dawn to 10 PM was our schedule".

OMG, what have I let myself in for?? :dontknow: I am reading this post with so much trepidation. We are arriving in TV on October 26 to an unfurnished Courtyard Villa with nothing in it! No bed, nothing, not even a fork! We have no knowledge of where stores are, no golf cart yet, nothing, da nada. I thought we were going to spend most of our time dancing in the square at LSL and drinking margaritas! :bigthumbsup: I think I'm in for a rude awakening. > On November 8 Mr. Wallethead is flying back home to work and I'll be in TV alone. So we're got to accomplish a lot in a short time.

Xcaveman: I bet you have a list of everything needed to furnish a house. I can tell you are an organized "list" kind of person. If you have such a list, can you publish it here?

Has anyone discovered a way to make the process less painful? Has anyone out there ever just bought "contents" from someone else who is moving? How was that .. where did you find their ad?

Well, if the Power of Attraction works, ('m sure you've read The Secret), I'm going to start visualizing a Villa full of white or light coloured furniture, a nice king size bed, and a kitchen full of stuff! Oh yah, and the cutest little (red) four-seater golf cart ever!! ;D
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete
Default Re: Furnishing a totally empty Courtyard Villa the easy way

Try shopping on line-K-Mart, Wal Mart, Target etc.. Have the stuff delivered to the store and pick it up when you get here.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to vitacr

Don't discount buying at consignment and thrifts - you would be amazed at what you could find. For starters, I suggest these three consignments - The Carriage House in Belleview, and Bargains & Treasures (2 stores) and Ayers in TV area, and Thrift - Habitat for Humanity in Leesburg and Brothers Keeper in Ocala. It is very rare to find a "whole house" sale that would appeal to you. Good luck ! I'm confident you will be successful.

Vita
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Sage

You need a small flat bed to transport furniture - Home Depot rents them out. Buy first and have the store hold for later pickup. Furniture is heavy, make sure you can handle it from a truck into the house; if not you need to buy it delivered or find a delivery service in the newspaper.

The prices on used furniture in the consignment stores around TV is very high. Large dept stores like JC Penny and Sears usually deliver major purchases free.

The relatives of estate sales usually get the good stuff first and the leftovers aren't worth the time to look over.

First get mattress and box springs, dining room table and chairs, and patio furniture to use temporarily in the living room, inexpensive kitchen stuff from wal-mart and you're operational. You can then take your time looking and buying what you really want.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Sage

I feel much calmer now after reading your replies. Or perhaps it's the Valium I took. ;D Ha ha. I was so tempted to buy a place "turn Key", but it is so hard to get the house you want in the location you want, and also get it furnished. And most of the time you don't care for most of the stuff anyway. Also we would have paid more for the house and then had to pay property tax on that amount for the rest of our days.

Pete, your suggestion about shopping on line at WalMart, etc., is brilliant, I hadn't thought of that. I love shopping on-line, that is a great idea.

Chuck, that is also good info about Home Depot renting a flat bed to transport furniture. Where would the nearest JC Penny and Sears be to TV? Good idea to get patio furniture and use it in the dining room and/or living room temporarily. That will buy me some time. I bet I could also shop on-line at Sears and pick stuff out ahead of time and have it delivered when we arrive. Why didn't I think of doing this stuff?? You guys are so great.

Boomergirl, that is a good reminder, I was really happy in my first place with a bookcase out of boards and bricks. The only things we are bringing with us from Canada are two dogs and an inflatable bed. It definitely will be an adventure, I feel younger already.

Vita, thanks for the names of consignment places. I've heard from some people you can get great deals, and other people, like Chuck, found the prices high. Guess we just have to shop till we drop. I also heard Carens Classy Cottage is a good place to try, and several people have mentioned Bargains and Treasures (but apparently you have to show up there every morning to get the "good stuff".

Hand, Duh - I just figured out what ROFLMAO means!!! Your post was most entertaining, you are SO funny. It made me LMAO. ;D If you have a copy of the list from the Rental agency, I'd love if you'd email it to me at luckypj@rogers.com We're not planning to rent, but it would be a great way to get organized. Loved your comment about dancing in Walmart instead of LSL .. I seriously thought we'd shop for a couple of hours in the afternoon and then head to Happy Hour. Now I've been set straight .... guess I'll go through initiation like everyone else and laugh about it later.

We have owned since May and haven't seen our house yet. I am now SO SO SO excited about coming to TV, it is actually starting to feel real instead of like a dream. :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Habitat for Humanity is a great resource. We donated a lot of our furniture to them when we realized that four bedrooms don't fit into two!!!!!! Ha..Ha!!!! Actually, we should have left everything in the house up North and sold it furnished.

We did buy several pieces at Southern Lifestyle but that was before he knew there were options.

I know the Villages has a list and if they rent it for you, LOOK OUT, they have a REQUIRED list and it can cost you a BUNDLE.

Better to rent it yourself on an excellent website called ****...vacation rentals by owner. It is nation-wide so you have to click on Florida and then you will click on the Villages and voila.....you will see how others furnish their homes they rent themselves.

When you come down, set aside time for yourselves to do the enjoyable stuff like drinking and dancing in the squares. All the other stuff, if you make a list, will fall into place.

Bargains and Treasures is another great resource and Kent Furniture further north on 441/27 towards Ocala has rooms of fair priced furniture. Don't go overboard since you are not planning to live in it full time. Just get nice stuff that can take rental treatment and make a welcoming appearance.

Best of luck to you!!! :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

I partially furnished mine when I bought. Bought the needed things like beds, br-nook, couch, loveseat. Also lanai. Still don't have lamps. Coffee and end tables sitting in my house up here. Wal-mart kitchen stuff. But at least it is liveable when I do come down! Will take my time with the rest.

I was surprised at how fast they deliver things in TV!

Becky
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Hey barefoot!!!!!

Easy peasy! We too are purchasing many many things with no clue (except for Southern Lifestyles for our furn.) and we just drove up and down Hwy 441 (look at your map). There is EVERYTHING you thought you may need. Starting in Marian county (just up the road), there is a HUGE HUGE Market with EVERYTHING you may never need! Stalls and Stalls of new items from kitchen gadgets to puppies! Then driving from there to TV there is Target, Lowe's, WalMart, Walgreen's, Southern Lifestyles, Pier 1 and every large store you can think of within a 4 mile stretch. Even a place that will sell you a HDTV or hook up yours (Sight and Sound where we went) Not to mention all the places within TV and the Squares. If there is something missing, then you don't need it!! :joke: :joke:
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Sage

DD -- You disappeared off the radar. > Are you in TV for good, are your dogs there also? Are you using Southern Lifestyles for all your furniture? How are their prices? Thanks for the info on stores, that is great to know. Now, all is need is more money!

Fran -- Kent Furniture is a name I haven't heard before .. now I've got it on my list. We weren't planning to rent .. I didn't think there would be a summer rental market at all. But you're right, we are only allowed to stay 6 months > cuz we're snowflakes. It would make sense to rent, even if it just covers taxes, insurance and amenities! What is the summer rental market like? By the way, Fran, what is the temperature of the pool where you swim every morning?

I am beyond excited .. we will soon be Villagers! :bigthumbsup:

Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM

Take a look at www.virginiatrace.com.Lots of furniture,golf carts,patio furniture ect.Most of the items offered are right in TV.Good Luck with your new res.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Sage

Bargee: What an amazing website, loads and loads of information about everything under the sun.
Thanks a bunch!!! I love it. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 PM

Hey barefoot!! Just returned from 4 hectic and wonderful days in TV! Oh girlfriend!!! Wait until we are both there together!!!!! We have to make arraignments to meet!!

I heard that there is a consignment store somewhere - we'll find it OR look at the ads in the "Sun" and you can figure out the best way to go for your "stuff". Oh, and I am sure that I am bringing way too much stuff down and your welcome to anything I can't fit into the house!!!

Oh, that's right- You can't stay more than 6 months. Shirley there's a way that you can work around that _ "Yes there is and don't call me Shirley!!!!"

Our neighbors are from Canada and they are here 24-7.

I forgot where your Villa was- Enlighten me!!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Kitra,

if you want I can get the list that was given to us by the villages rental company. We used them the first year that we had our house and they supply a very complete list down to the "thread count" of the linen you should buy. Let me know if you are interested

Larry of larrydube
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Sage

DD - I know what the lifestyle preview is like .. irresistible! I came home and felt like a teenager, like I was in love for the first time. We planned to buy this fall, but bought last May, just couldn't wait. I am so looking forward to the day we arrive which should be October 26, yes, in a month I'll be packing. Does your new place close in Sept or October? We are south of 466 in Belvedere -- Golfnut lives there also. It is nowhere near you, but we can meet in LSL! I am looking forward to meeting all the TOTVers.

If you have Canadian neighbours who are there 24/7, they must have a green card and be "resident aliens" or something like that. :dontknow: I could get a green card too if you would adopt me! Otherwise it is back to Canada in April for this little snowflake.

I've just spent the last hour reading furniture ads in The Daily Sun, Virginiatrace.com, etc. Very interesting ..
I think we can definitely pick up some inexpensive stuff as long as we're not picky. I found out on this site we can rent a flat bed to transport furniture at Home Depot. I also found out I can so some shopping online at Sears, etc., even before we arrive. I think the consignment store "Bargains and Treasures" is close to where we will be living. I got so much information from people, I've written it all down, this site is just great for getting "educated". I am SO excited, I am just babbling. I'll be a basket case by the time I arrive.

DD - We also need a golfcart - did you do any cart shopping when you were there? If you are closing in September, I'll look forward to having you scope things out!! :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We purchased a lot of furniture and the misc items from houses that were having garage or estate sales, look in the Daily Sun for ads. We purchased a whole living room set from one lady that was originally purchased from Southern Lifestyles, couch (sleeper) love seat, lazy boy, coffee table, end tables, lamps $450.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.