Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Re: The furniture I like

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! cold cold cold

Another Linda, You're a nice lady for the invite, :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

No Way!!! Haven't seen that white stuff for 30 years!!! : :

...and ain't gonna do it now, wav wav

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

Kathie, I'd guess there's a dealer in Orlando. Do check it out in Pasadena. The pieces have the best construction and finish I've seen on any furniture. Take Linda up on her offer. The current factory is in Manlius, NY, a suburb of Syracuse. I became familiar with the furniture back in the 70s when Alfred Audi took over the original company in Fayetteville, NY next to Manlius. Audi took me on a tour of the old factory and it was like a trip back in time. There was a group of old craftsmen who made the furniture and a group of young apprentices who worked on the finishing line. Alfred opened the middle drawer of a triple dresser and stood in it. Never saw a demonstration like that again. Great stuff.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Dancing Thyme

Thanks, JJ, I'll check out the one in Pasadena and Orlando but will pass on Syracuse, thanks. I had no idea furniture was still made in the U.S., never mind New York. Great news and well worth supporting our on shore manufacturing plants. Looking forward to receiving my new catalog. Thanks, K.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 AM

Thanks so much for the input. I think I will keep the most precious to me and auction the rest. I do have a lot of old oil paintings, china, etc. that I may bring with me. However, I just can't see my sea scapes fitting in with the Florida lifestyle. My kids tell me it doesn't fit in with their decor, and wouldn't you know, a week before christmas, a day after a north easter, my realtor called and wants to show the house. Maybe the novena worked, wish me luck I hope to be at TV before I put in another long, below zero already winter.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Default US Made Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Thanks, JJ, I'll check out the one in Pasadena and Orlando but will pass on Syracuse, thanks. I had no idea furniture was still made in the U.S., never mind New York. Great news and well worth supporting our on shore manufacturing plants. Looking forward to receiving my new catalog. Thanks, K.
An update on a almost dead thread ...

There are still many furniture manufacturers in the US. The low end and middle have been driven out of business by furniture manufactured abroad (mostly China these days). I know that Stickley, Henkel Harris and Baker are still made in the US and there are hundreds of smaller companies that make really good stuff. Some of the "amish" furniture I have seen is of really good quality. US-made furniture is more expensive, but I will not buy anything made in China if there is any alternative (and there normally is); and, good quality is the cheapest in the long run.

If you like "period furniture", then there is an even more interesting approach. Virtually every city in the US had furniture factories in the late 1800s and early 1900s. If you look around (Craig's List, estate sales, etc), you can furnish (part of?) your home with period furniture made in your previous home town.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

On your trip down here stop in North Carolina and stop at Furniture Outlet, get great buys during Furniture Market, Henredon, Baker etc.....You will be in Furniture Heaven if you want a new start
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.