Future projected growth of TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2018, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Future projected growth of TV

I was absolutely amazed when I looked at the pull-out section showing planned future growth in The Village magazine that came this week. I knew TV was growing, and growing and growing some more, but the scope of the proposed new Villages and homes really surprised me.

Can TV, as we know it, remain the same or will we become just a housing project? I know the Morse family have incredible vision for the future, but will the very character of TV be lost in the growth?

Interested in your opinion.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-05-2018, 08:21 AM

Nothing stays the same, having said that my opinion is that with the added housing comes more and more people and more and more cars. If you think it is crowded or congested now when the snowbirds are here and the golf courses and rec classes are crowded-- just wait because it isn't going to get better.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We built our home in 2004 and have experienced TV growing more than 3 times in size (from 35,000).

TV developers have amply demonstrated they take into account the needs of the incremental growth.

When one stops to think specifically how they are affected by the "additional growth" the list is quite short.

I suspect the increased traffic and waits for a table for dinner top the list.
But not many come from places where there is no traffic or no wait to get into a restaurant.

I prefer to view the positives that the growth has brought with it. If it were not for the growth most of the national chains we all enjoy today would not be here.

Everything is relative. Back in 2004 the busy season population was less than the slow season population of current or recent years.

The future growth of TV will no doubt bring much more retail/commercial opportunities for the residents enjoyment.....just like it has done to date.

Crowds? Where is the last place that was popular that had no crowds?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 AM

I can't wait for the monorail that runs from Brownwood to Disney.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

[QUOTE=Madelaine Amee;1530310]I was absolutely amazed when I looked at the pull-out section showing planned future growth in The Village magazine that came this week. I knew TV was growing, and growing and growing some more, but the scope of the proposed new Villages and homes really surprised me.

Can TV, as we know it, remain the same or will we become just a housing project? I know the Morse family have incredible vision for the future, but will the very character of TV be lost in the growth?

///

Last edited by rustyp; 05-19-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
For some of us it already has lost the initial sparkle. I purchased near Spanish Springs the year Lake Sumter opened. I picked SS because I liked the feel of the square, Katie Belles, and Church on the Square. My main hobby is music. The population has more than tripled and the "friendliest hometown" feeling has disappeared for me along with two of my favorite venues. Also as with most items the first experiences are the best and as familiarity sets in some of the small warts become more visible. I am not saying that I don't like it here any more just not quite as much as in the beginning. And I know the critics are coming at me now so "no I don't know of a better place".

I suspect with most people "will the character be lost" is a reference to the time at which they moved here. Like me for some it already has. Carpe Diem
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
For some of us it already has lost the initial sparkle. I purchased near Spanish Springs the year Lake Sumter opened. I picked SS because I liked the feel of the square, Katie Belles, and Church on the Square. My main hobby is music. The population has more than tripled and the "friendliest hometown" feeling has disappeared for me along with two of my favorite venues. Also as with most items the first experiences are the best and as familiarity sets in some of the small warts become more visible. I am not saying that I don't like it here any more just not quite as much as in the beginning. And I know the critics are coming at me now so "no I don't know of a better place".

I suspect with most people "will the character be lost" is a reference to the time at which they moved here. Like me for some it already has. Carpe Diem
Actually the point of my post regarding the "will the character be lost" pertains to the different (as I see it) building of the new villages. The original concept was small villages built around a town square. That format seems to be changing to more of a housing project. The changes referenced in the above posts about more people, snow bird season etc., etc., do not relate to me. I live in my own little bubble and still do what I want to do, and still know this was the best decision we ever made.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

The biggest problem I see with the growth is future demographics. Retireing baby boomer's with savings, pensions, and social security will buy up the homes and enjoy the lifestyle. What will happen when this generation dies off. The generations next in line are smaller in numbers, no longer work for companies with pensions, don't have the same passion for golf, and who knows what will be the state of social security? The supply and demand balance will be very different in 20 - 30 years. Oh well, not really our problem, our children will have to deal with this when they inherit our homes.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The biggest problem I see with the growth is future demographics. Retireing baby boomer's with savings, pensions, and social security will buy up the homes and enjoy the lifestyle. What will happen when this generation dies off. The generations next in line are smaller in numbers, no longer work for companies with pensions, don't have the same passion for golf, and who knows what will be the state of social security? The supply and demand balance will be very different in 20 - 30 years. Oh well, not really our problem, our children will have to deal with this when they inherit our homes.
I can speak to that to a certain degree. There seems to be a growing number of people like me - not ready for retirement but really attracted to TV and the lifestyle. But my job allows me to work from home. As long as I have reliable internet and am reasonably close to an airport for when I need to travel on business. I've heard it referred to as "pre-tirement". So, I don't have to wait to fully retire to relocate. There is a growing club in TV called South of Sixty (SOS). I'm fairly sure the majority of that group have similar circumstances to mine. We may not fill all of the future voids, but will likely make up a part of them.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Gold member

I too have thought about the next generation that will effect The Villages. It's very true that most of our children will not be getting a pension. Of course they do have a 401K which will act the same. But, if they cannot afford to live here what will happen to the homes here? The jobs in the area support those who are retired. If they no longer are here then the jobs will disappear. I would like to see a study on this.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Yogi Berra was once asked whether he wished to have dinner at a highly-regarded restaurant, and he replied with a remark combining wisdom with contradiction: Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Yogi Berra was once asked whether he wished to have dinner at a highly-regarded restaurant, and he replied with a remark combining wisdom with contradiction: Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post

Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmemac View Post
Nothing stays the same, having said that my opinion is that with the added housing comes more and more people and more and more cars. If you think it is crowded or congested now when the snowbirds are here and the golf courses and rec classes are crowded-- just wait because it isn't going to get better.
Yep.

Take a good look around at the current congestion and realize that, not accounting for seasonal fluctuations...there will never be less traffic than there is right now.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
I can't wait for the monorail that runs from Brownwood to Disney.

That would be AWESOME!
Closed Thread

Tags
future, growing, growth, remain, character

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.