Future of recycling

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the Government should get rid of the junk mail. It is a significant amount of the trash produced and it wastes a lot of energy to produce it and to transport it around the country.

Also, beverages and other products can be packaged in glass, plastic, alumunium, or cardboard. I don't know which is best, but the resulting waste should be a consideration as to which material to use.
That "Junk Mail" is what keeps the Post Office in business.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:53 AM
Default Listening to the consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
A vote will be taken on the new recycling, or rather the non recycling program, on June 18 by NSCUDD. It appears that September will be the last of the recycling and the "burn" will begin in October. All garbage and recyclables, including yard waste, will be burned. I understand the economics and I understand that there is a energy component, but I do not understand why, aluminum, which can be recycled over and over with no degradation and which still has some value in the recycling market is not put aside. I also do not understand why the garbage pick ups cannot be only once a week instead of twice a week, reducing carbon footprint. I do not look forward to inhaling the toxins released from the burn of plastic, etc. assuming that the burn will be in this vicinity. I am very sorry to see this happening. We will also be seeing an increase in charges. I, for one, am crushing my aluminum cans and will be reducing the amount of plastics I purchase. I will also be contacting manufacturers of items I buy to ask them to reduce the packaging they use for new products. I will be eliminating the newspaper (or that is what it is called) since that will also not be recycled. Odd because the cost of the newspaper went up significantly the last time I subscribed to it. There are plenty of things that can be done to reduce garbage and hope people concerned with the environment look into them and do what they can to reduce waste. I sincerely believe this burn to be a mistake.
Hopefully, (rose colored glasses on) as this unfortunately becomes more common, if we as consumers complain enough, the manufacturers will adapt to more environmentally friendly means of packaging.
Buy Smart. Recycle when and what you can. Be a squeaky wheel.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:14 PM

Most states in USA recycle glass aluminum paper plastic. Not the case here unless the Morse family who operate a monopoly with land business water company etc can monetize it by forcing residents to pick up the tab in advance. That’s a fact.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,677 Times in 5,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJacobs View Post
That "Junk Mail" is what keeps the Post Office in business.
If junk mail keeps them in "business" then why did the House of Representatives just pass a stimulus bill that includes a $25 billion bailout to pay off the Post Office debt to the Treasury Department. UPS and FedEx are businesses. The Post Office is not a business.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:56 PM
Sage

Are you referring to the bill that is DOA in the Senate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If junk mail keeps them in "business" then why did the House of Representatives just pass a stimulus bill that includes a $25 billion bailout to pay off the Post Office debt to the Treasury Department. UPS and FedEx are businesses. The Post Office is not a business.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

What fumes?
Old 05-31-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,677 Times in 5,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Are you referring to the bill that is DOA in the Senate?
Yes. But, the hypocrisy is that many people will tell you that the Post Office pays for itself. So, why do they owe the Treasury $25 billion? Also, if junk mail supports the Post Office, why aren't UPS and FedEx delivering junk mail? Apparently, they can be profitable without junk mail.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:46 PM

There is something called pyrolysis, which (I think) burns it at a higher temperature. Modern ships now use this, because they can not longer dump their trash in the oceans. Sounds like bad news, because so much of what we discard, could be used again. What about all the trees that get used to make the Daily Sun. that all ends up as recycling. I hope.
In England, where I’m from, we’ve been separating out, and recycling for years. Then the media found out that the recycling stuff was ending up in the Far East, where it was burnt. All that effort, no result.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Most states in USA recycle glass aluminum paper plastic. Not the case here unless the Morse family who operate a monopoly with land business water company etc can monetize it by forcing residents to pick up the tab in advance. That’s a fact.
Morse family doesn't own any of this. It is controlled through the NSCUDD .

Also, a lot of the "recycled" things weren't being recycled because too many people were including the wrong things: pizza boxes, margarine tubs, frozen whipped topping containers, window envelopes, etc. I saw the recycle crew picking up regular trash that hadn't made it out in time for regular pick-up. This will be so much easier and for those who want to recycle newspaper or aluminum, they have the choice to do so in other ways.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 463 Posts

I would and have. They do not know what you are thinking unless you tell them.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 463 Posts

Recycling has been affected all over the country with the lack of money paid.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:02 AM

Assumed it is to control stealing...
Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Sage

According to the POA news the new waste company does separate metals for recycling from the trash to be incinerated. That’s one of my concerns addressed.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
The recreation centers have never recycled. I have seen many times, where large groups of people just wrap up the plastics table clothes, recyclables and all and put them in the trash. I asking someone, supposedly knowledgeable about this associated with the villages, and was told people go through the garbage to extricate the recyclables. A story that even a two year old could not swallow. There do seem to be effects to people near the burn centers as I looked it up on line.
What are the "effects"?
Old 06-03-2020, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLee View Post
I agree with the aluminum comment. Aluminum is a finite metal on our planet, so it is imperative that we conserve and reuse what we have. I doubt that the garbage trucks would collect used aluminum (we could ask), but maybe we can convince the grocery stores in the area to set out containers to collect aluminum to be recycled.
The article in the paper did say that metals will be extracted and reused many times.

Tags
recycling, understand, burn, garbage, reduce

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.