Gain, lose or stay the same?

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
I noticed when I was in TV that people would circle the block and parking lots looking for places to park. Park away from places and walk. Walk wherever you can and stay away from the famous TOTV pizza wars.

I see this behavior in the gym parking lot all of the time, people circling the gym parking lot to find a closer space. It cracks me up--they're going to the gym to exercise, but avoiding walking the few extra steps from the car.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Moved here in October and weighed 255. Now down to 220 but seem to have plateaued. The main reason for the weight loss is that I am outside playing all day. I have also seriously cut back on calories, which was pretty easy to do since I ate so much before moving here. Now, trying to eat lower on the food chain, have better portion control, and step up my exercise. Try to swim for 45 minutes daily, go to martial arts 2 days a week, and golf almost every day. As much as I would love a cold beer on some days, I stick to water to make sure I stay hydrated. I sometimes fall off the wagon (wings and yings the other day), but try to realize it's a process.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
Moved here in October and weighed 255. Now down to 220 but seem to have plateaued. The main reason for the weight loss is that I am outside playing all day. I have also seriously cut back on calories, which was pretty easy to do since I ate so much before moving here. Now, trying to eat lower on the food chain, have better portion control, and step up my exercise. Try to swim for 45 minutes daily, go to martial arts 2 days a week, and golf almost every day. As much as I would love a cold beer on some days, I stick to water to make sure I stay hydrated. I sometimes fall off the wagon (wings and yings the other day), but try to realize it's a process.
See, another difference between women and men....there is no way in h*ll that any woman would actually admit to her before or after weight...unless she was 107 lbs and managed to get down to 105...darn, that used to be my weight, now it's my ideal blood pressure.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Sage

It's not that hard to do, if you fill your plate with meat and carbs that will displace the room available for veggies.

You will not lose weight. Sure you can exercise till the cows come home but if you haven't been doing that for the past number of years starting now is tuff and for most folks not sustained lifestyle.
If there R 85,000 folks here count the number in the gyms, and other exercise related activities.

Changing your eating habits is a much more sustainable route IMO.
Not speaking of fad diets, just the portions as stated above help dramatically, then get active.

If your meat/carbs are reduced to a portion the size of your palm you can have a truck load of veggies, you will lose 5 plus pounds a month.

You can go out to eat as much as you like - just order right.

Ladies if you want new clothes and more attention from your other half ..........

Trish, my wife will admit her weight perhaps not on a public forum but in person, but then you won't need to ask.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
See, another difference between women and men....there is no way in h*ll that any woman would actually admit to her before or after weight...unless she was 107 lbs and managed to get down to 105.
Trish, that is so true. I'm laughing here. The only woman I ever heard tell her weight here in TV was someone who was complaining about weighing 118 lbs. (Well, honestly, I think she was bragging).
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Sage

My family doctor told me to lose weight, you have to eat less and exercise more.

I found that looking at it like a lifestyle change as oppossed to a diet. Diets are a failure waiting to happen. Having several small meals plus snacks such as fruit worked wonders for me, (lost 37 lbs).

Two tips:
1. Physologically, your mother put too much food on your plate so you have to portion your meals appropriately.

2, Restaurants give you twice of what you need so ask for a doggie bags at the beginning of the meal and scrap off half to take home.

Good luck in losing weight, as it a hard thing to do as we get older.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Sorry to say without eating correctly, no new clothes
Boy, you really nailed it. There's a guy on my street, a snow bird, who walks all the time when he's down here in the winter. Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk. But he has a huge stomach that never goes away. He always looks exactly the same. One day I bumped into him in the supermarket and when I saw what he had in his shopping cart, I understood exactly what the problem was.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Boy, you really nailed it. There's a guy on my street, a snow bird, who walks all the time when he's down here in the winter. Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk. But he has a huge stomach that never goes away. He always looks exactly the same. One day I bumped into him in the supermarket and when I saw what he had in his shopping cart, I understood exactly what the problem was.
I am going to shop in Ocala!!! HAHA.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I lost 26 pounds and have no problem keeping it off. I don't deny myself anything but eat sensibly, work out at MVP.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Every time I come back to the village home I will loose 8 to 10 pounds the first week...Its because I am doing something everyday with friends and I hope when I finally retire and move there permanently the weight lose keeps me going...My one food sin is there is nothing like having a beer or two with golfing buddies after the game, discussing the shot or telling short stories , in my mind there is nothing like it...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
I see this behavior in the gym parking lot all of the time, people circling the gym parking lot to find a closer space. It cracks me up--they're going to the gym to exercise, but avoiding walking the few extra steps from the car.
I've always thought this was a hoot also! Yardwork and mowing ones own grass with a push mower helps too. Funny that people will pay to get in shape and lose weight but won't do the free things that will accomplish the same!
I have a lady friend that says she only likes to sweat in air conditioning! She does admit her overweight though (at least to me). Only female I've known to do that.
In reality, they're different!

Last edited by CaptJohn; 07-26-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I am going to shop in Ocala!!! HAHA.
Hahaha, like.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistrucksforyou View Post
Every time I come back to the village home I will loose 8 to 10 pounds the first week...Its because I am doing something everyday with friends and I hope when I finally retire and move there permanently the weight lose keeps me going...My one food sin is there is nothing like having a beer or two with golfing buddies after the game, discussing the shot or telling short stories , in my mind there is nothing like it...
Like.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I have four activities and I do at least one everyday. Play softball, play golf, walking or 90 minute workout. Today it was 18 holes at Havana, tomorrow with be a 90 minute workout (in-home using resistance bands, medicine ball and hand weights), Saturday will be a softball game, and when I can fit it in the schedule I'll walk 45 minutes which covers 2-1/2 miles.

When we go to the square I'm usually amazed at the men that walk around with those huge stomachs. I'm 5'9" tall and 160 pounds and 62 years old, usually I can't keep weight on. It's all a matter of exericse, keeping active and not eating too much.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
usually I can't keep weight on. It's all a matter of exericse, keeping active and not eating too much.
And genetics.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.