Garage & Attic Fireproofing

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Sage
Default Garage & Attic Fireproofing

Just wondering, our house in the villages is the first house we have ever owned without a metal fireproof door. Also,the area above the garage doesn't have a sheetrock barrier protecting the main area of the house . And,finally the sheetrock in the garage ceiling & rear wall is a single layer.

Now I know why car fires in the garaged so much damage here.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have read of several fires starting in garages here in TV probably due to golf carts improperly charged. We have had seven homes burnt to the ground here in The Villages in the last eight years due to direct lightning strikes. This area of central Florida has more lightning strikes annually than any other area in the country.

Our homes here are built to local code.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-20-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Sage

The problem is not how the fire starts--there is no reason for a fire in an occupied dwelling to take out the entire structure when there is a paid fire dept with close fire hydrants.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

If I recall correctly,5/8 sheet rock (drywall) was all that was required for a fire barrier, up north. I either moved or removed garage doors and had to seal the old openings. The other option was as mentioned use 2 sheets of 3/8 or greater drywall.
Having stated this I am NOT familiar with the specific Florida requirements. The other item was any door to an occupied space did require a fire rating, but did not have to be metal.
Perhaps a building inspector can comment.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The problem is not how the fire starts--there is no reason for a fire in an occupied dwelling to take out the entire structure when there is a paid fire dept with close fire hydrants.
Chatbrat,
It does not matter whether the dwelling is occupied or not. It is almost always how quickly the call to 911 is made once the fire starts that determines the outcome. If people are not home or they are asleep it will affect the outcome. It also depends on where the fire starts and what kind of flammable material is nearby.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.