Garage Ceiling Drywall Cracks

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2020, 01:20 PM

Adding insulation will definitely help IF the ceiling was not secured to anything at the ends and/or sides as they should have been. Otherwise likely a waste of money.
You can easily see in the attic if they were not every 4 (or 8) feet at the seams.
I imagine after a thousand complaints they changed the construction methods on new homes.

It makes sense that normally the lanai and garage were not insulated above since it is non-conditioned space. If only they secured properly. It was said that building code was followed. I find that questionable. If I find the POA (Property Owners Association) final report on this I'll pass it along. It was a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Question: Will adding insulation above the garage and lanai help, or lessen, this situation? We recently bought a new home in TV, and we're considering adding insulation to these areas. Frankly, I was surprised that there was no/little insulation in these areas.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Question: Will adding insulation above the garage and lanai help, or lessen, this situation? We recently bought a new home in TV, and we're considering adding insulation to these areas. Frankly, I was surprised that there was no/little insulation in these areas.
Insulation is only installed to create a heat transfer barrier between a conditioned and an unconditioned space. The garage and the attic above it are both unconditioned spaces, therefore, there is no need to install insulation. Same for the lanai. Adding insulation above the lanai and garage would be a waste of money. Also, I don't think it will do anything to prevent ceiling cracks.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, product, drywall, cracks, developer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.