Garage door insulation

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Default Garage door insulation

Any suggestions on insulating my garage door...these new doors don't have dual channels for the pop in styrofoam panels, there's only a channel on one side
Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran member

You can get rolls of reflective barrier material at Lowes. Sort of like silver-coated bubble wrap. Although not "insulation", it does reflect infrared radiant energy back to the door, and not into your garage. It does make a difference. Comes in 3 widths, choose the best size to fit without waste. You simply measure and cut with scissors. There is also a special tape you can use to affix the material to prevent it from hanging when the door is up. Cheap, effective, and easy to do.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

My next door neighbor did it, and it was a total waste of money. The garage is still going to get hot.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Sage

Does it work if you shut the garage door?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genobambino View Post
Any suggestions on insulating my garage door...these new doors don't have dual channels for the pop in styrofoam panels, there's only a channel on one side
If you use the rigid foam insulation it fits snugly into each section. The lower channel and the hurricane bars hold them in. I did my doors 3 years ago and have not had any issues. You will need to remove the hurricane bars to install. The foam is too rigid to slide in with bars in place.

It was worth the $130 and my 6 hours to install in two doors. A side benefit was reduced noise when the metal doors are opening/closing.

I bought my insulation online, precut into standard sections. Need to trim them to fit my doors.

Many of my friends/neighbors have done the same with good results. An easy DYI project.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 09-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran member

I had the door insulated when I had radiant barrier installed and the garage ceiling insulated, it definitely keeps the garage cooler.

Make sure they tighten the spring on the door the extra weight can cause problems with the door opening if it is not tightened.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Location: Detroit area, Da UP, 6 states and 2 countries in 21 years Army, now Duneden

Lowes carries the flam door panels. They can be picked up at the store or ordered on line and delivered to your home for free. 3 boxes does a 2 car and golf cart garage with panels to spare. With help (1 measure, 1 cut and 1-2 to install) can be done in less than 2 hours. Neighbors will usually be glad to help so you will help with theirs. Simple to install.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Looking for a insulated screen to keep hot breeze out of the house
Old 09-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Insulation also retains the heat your car engine brings in upon return home...never understood the desire to insulate garage door in warm climate. It's a different story up north, keeping the cold out.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaman View Post
Insulation also retains the heat your car engine brings in upon return home...never understood the desire to insulate garage door in warm climate. It's a different story up north, keeping the cold out.

Perhaps you do not have a South facing home.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, door, styrofoam, pop, panels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.