Garage Door Opener?

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2021, 06:38 AM
Default Outdoor Garage Key Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Slightly off topic...

Has anyone added a keypad to open their garage door?

I know that Lowes and Home Depot sell them, but the none of the brands sold as "universal" list the standard Villages remotes as compatible...
Amazon has MVP key pads and the small individual remotes. Outdoor key pad is $40 and little remotes about $18.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:43 AM
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Chamberlain Belt drive, battery backup with the My Q app! Comes with a new keypad , 2 remotes , sensors, the works, it's very quiet... off subject, keep your garage door balanced
This is what I got!!!
Old 06-08-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Slightly off topic...

I know that Lowes and Home Depot sell them, but the none of the brands sold as "universal" list the standard Villages remotes as compatible...
Check out North Shore Commercial. I have purchased both the inside and outside keypads, plus 2 remotes from them. Good pricing compared to Ro-Mac.

Garage Door Opener Parts & OEM Garage Door Parts
Old 06-08-2021, 06:48 AM
Default I just installed one

Quote:
Slightly off topic...

Just did it, had an old Genie opener, too confusing to buy at Lowe’s or HD, so I ordered from EBay totally wireless, took me (I am 76) less than 30 minutes to pair it, great instructions giving me an UTube video. Most of the time it took to reposition on the frame so it would hide the previous screw holes, was less than $20 including shipping, HD and Lowe’s wanted $30 for theirs
Old 06-08-2021, 06:49 AM

I just installed two Genie belt drive units. Used the old wiring and mounting points. Not too difficult, but next time I'd get it with installation, which should cost less than $100 per unit. Genie worked with the HomeLink buttons in our car. (I couldn't get the old Chamberlin units to work with it.) Advantages of belt drive: Much quieter, and doesn't drip oil on the outside of the door when opening and closing, which the old chain drive units did.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
By the time I am ready (ours are only 17 years old!) I would hope they have wireless with an app.....so I don't have to go back to see if we put the door down (I know we are the only ones doing that)
Your garage door hope is available now. Look at Chamberlain Garage Door Opener "myQ" series. Will let you know if door is open or closed thru smart phone app. After it is open it will close automatically after a selected time period if desired. Other features too.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:12 AM

We chose belt driven and really appreciate how much quieter it is. Master's Touch Garage Door Co. installed Liftmaster openers in our garages. 352/216-0060.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:23 AM

I prefer belt because it is quiet.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:46 AM

Call Ryan O'Cull (352) 617 - 0522. Very honest, dependable, knowledgeable, and reasonably priced. He has done work for many neighbors and friends. He is extremely responsive. He will probably answer his phone; or, leave a message and he will return your call pretty quickly. BTW-- he was the one who told us that ROMAC installed incorrect springs on our garage door. ROMAC came out and replaced the incorrect springs at no charge.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
Amazon has MVP key pads and the small individual remotes. Outdoor key pad is $40 and little remotes about $18.
Found it on Ebay for $27 and change. Thanks!

-Tom Petty
Old 06-08-2021, 08:05 AM

Got our pad at Romac. Works fine
Old 06-08-2021, 08:19 AM

There is already an app that can open/close your garage door from anywhere there is wi-fi. It will verbally tell you when your door is opening or closing as well as allow you to check if it’s open. It works with the VIP openers in The Villages. Nexx garage door opener at Amazon $89.
The Chamberlain offer will not work with VIP.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:26 AM

There is already an app to use your phone to open/close your garage door. It will audibly tell you when the dirt is opening/closing and visually tells you the current status. It works with the VIP openers. Nexx Garage Door Opener from Amazon $89. The chamberlain offering does not work with the Roman VIP openers.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
Has anyone replaced their garage door opener? Did you get the chain or belt driven? Who did you have install it. I would appreciate any recommendations.
What some are calling a chain drive is properly called a roller chain-similar to a bicycle chain. It comes in different widths, gauges, and is sold by the foot. You purchase the length you need and it is connected with a master link. Actually if you are doing this, you buy more than you need and using an inexpensive tool you purchase from a bike shop it is easy to remove links. People complaining about it leaking oil, have either improperly lubed it or hired someone who improperly lubed it. It can be cleaned and properly lubed.
You can also get that stuff form a bike shop or on line-not expensive.

I expect a belt drive system, will require special toothed belts, like used to drive the valves on some cars. Should you need a new belt, is it a standard part?

The rollers. People tend to lube everything with WD 40. It is not a lubricant it was developed as a mold release compound. Try it for yourself. Spray it on a piece of glass.
You will see in a few days it is gone.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlod View Post
There is already an app that can open/close your garage door from anywhere there is wi-fi. It will verbally tell you when your door is opening or closing as well as allow you to check if it’s open. It works with the VIP openers in The Villages. Nexx garage door opener at Amazon $89.
The Chamberlain offer will not work with VIP.
Is this the one? The $89 one comes with two "smart plugs" which don't seem to be needed...

Amazon.com

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, opener, door, install, driven

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.