Garage Doors

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2020, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, are you saying that most of the noise was coming from the chain drive opener and motor, and not from the rollers and axle hinge connections on the sides of the door?
When we bought our house it had an ancient Genie opener and opening the garage door sounded like you were opening the portcullis at the Tower of London.

I installed a Chamberlain 3/4HP Wifi opener and it barely makes any noise at all now. You here a little whine and that's it.

My entire house is about as internet connected as you can get and having the garage door remotely operable has been quite helpful. My wife and are Sunbirds. We come down when it's hot and go north when it's cold . I've let people in, talked to them on the phone while watching them on the camera and closed the door when they left. All from my phone 1500 miles away. Can't beat it.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:32 AM
Default Silent Door opener

Same Issue with noise here. I insulated my door both to make it quieter and cooler. I replaced the wheels with nylon wheels with sealed bearings I got on Amazon. The only ones I found locally were cheap plastic with no bearings. I replaced the old door opener with a 3/4 horse belt drive Chamberlain WiFi door opener. I was able to use all the existing wiring and hardware on the ceiling and door so it was a 20 minute swap. The door is totally silent now. With the door into the kitchen shut you can't hear it. Love the wifi and you can set it to close automatically at what ever time you want! I used to forget to close it at night once in a while and get a call from neighborhood watch. P.S. compare prices. One big box building supply store sells the 3/4 hp model at the same price the other one gets for the 1/2 hp and the 3/4 model is a life time warranty.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
Since moving in ( Eight years) I have always found my garage doors to be quite noisy when operating. They have been maintained on a regular basis in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.

I have been considering adding insulation from one of the various kit producers.

Question is: Is there a small, medium or large reduction in noise level if I proceed with this project?

Other suggestions for noise level are welcome.
Yes. I installed fiberglass bat and it greatly reduced the noise and heat coming from the door which faces the sun. The only thing is I had to have an additional spring added to my torsion bar to compensate for the added weight. I also added insulated bats to my attic over the garage. This made a big difference in the heat and cold in summer and winter.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:35 AM

Old 07-18-2020, 06:43 AM
Default Garage door

Insulation kits are available on Amazon. YOU TUBE Has many VIDEOS ABOUT DIFFERENT METHODS.
GET A garage door opener with BELT DRIVE its very quiet. wQUOTE=Dynsol;1804848]Since moving in ( Eight years) I have always found my garage doors to be quite noisy when operating. They have been maintained on a regular basis in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.

I have been considering adding insulation from one of the various kit producers.

Question is: Is there a small, medium or large reduction in noise level if I proceed with this project?

Other suggestions for noise level are welcome.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
Since moving in ( Eight years) I have always found my garage doors to be quite noisy when operating. They have been maintained on a regular basis in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.

Other suggestions for noise level are welcome.
We were having an issue with other people’s remotes opening our door and because the builder used the same openers for over 20 years we could not find a code that would prevent this.

We installed a chamberlain opener (Different brand) this May and the door is whisper quiet it was quite noisy previous. Now this is a blue tooth unit that once paired to your phone will set off an alarm letting you know it’s open and you can close it from anywhere that you have a phone signal.

Ours was crazy noisy but had nothing to do with the door.

Pull your red Release and operate the door by hand and you’ll see it’s quiet.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:11 AM

If you want a quieter door, buy a higher quality new door and opener.

Adding insulation and new rollers doesn’t help much at all. Put your monies in a door and garage door opener.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:12 AM
theruizs

I periodically spray the hinges with lubricant and it helps a lot. You should try that before spending a lot of money. It’s something you should do anyway to reduce wear on them.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I just installed a Chamberlin BELT drive garage door opener for a neighbor, it made a big difference. NOTE: the guy Lowe's sent out was an idiot and stated that the torsion bar had to be moved (it did not), and he could not to the work. We did it in about 2 hours.
Excellent choice. I put one in my house in GA and one here as well. The one here was a little challenging because the garage ceiling in my Villa is somewhat low and I did them both by myself. However, with a little perseverance it's not that hard. If the noise on the builder version was a 10 the Chamberlain Belt Drive is a 3.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:30 AM

Install an opener with rubber drive belt. VERY quiet when closing..VERY quiet!!!
Old 07-18-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
When we bought our house it had an ancient Genie opener and opening the garage door sounded like you were opening the portcullis at the Tower of London.

I installed a Chamberlain 3/4HP Wifi opener and it barely makes any noise at all now. You here a little whine and that's it.

My entire house is about as internet connected as you can get and having the garage door remotely operable has been quite helpful. My wife and are Sunbirds. We come down when it's hot and go north when it's cold . I've let people in, talked to them on the phone while watching them on the camera and closed the door when they left. All from my phone 1500 miles away. Can't beat it.
Did you use the existing track to install your opener or replace all the old track?
Old 07-18-2020, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

After reading this thread, I timed the opening and closing of my cheap, Romac garage door. It takes 10 seconds to open and 10 seconds to close. I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars for 20 seconds of quiet. There are other louder noises that you can't prevent no matter what. Maybe when the door fails, I may consider buying a quieter door.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:48 AM

Rollers make 90% of noise. If you are handy you can do it yourself. Or any handyman. A set of rollers are @$16 at Amazon. The rest of the door needs lubrication
Old 07-18-2020, 07:50 AM
Default Test of Noise Source

It has been suggested that the noise comes from the motor chain drive. It has also been suggested the noise comes from the rollers.

Separate the two. Pull the rope in the garage that unhooks the chain from the door. Run the motor a few times and compare to the noise level.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:09 AM

Screw type openers are considerably quieter than chain driven types. Metal doors are noisier than wooden doors.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, noise, level, doors, producers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.