Garage Floor erosion

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2020, 08:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Garage Floor erosion

For lack of a better word.....

If the topic was ceiling, we'd calls these nail pops. But the issue is concrete. Several places on my concrete (painted) garage floor have silver-dollar sized spots where the concrete has been pushed up and separated, almost like a nail pop. At first I thought, well maybe someone dropped a heavy object and damaged the concrete there. But the number of erupted areas is increasing.

Are garage floors just concrete slaps, or is rebar underneath? Is this possibly the result of settling? (House is 7 years old.) Anybody else seen this? I haven't called warranty yet to ask if this is a covered issue but will after hearing back from TV community.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

Yes, I have seen it, and I have several dime sized on the driveway and lanai. As I recall from previous threads there was a warranty repair in some cases, sorry I do not recall the details. You will need to call home warranty. My concern was the repair was removal and replacement, in our case I do not want the upheaval of doing this in either location, so I am just going to let it go. At some point if I find a suitable 'patch' material I may attempt my own repair. Please let us know what the response is, thank you.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

My neighbor had his lanai floor removed and new concrete poured for that reason. It was done in 2 days
Old 06-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

My garage is two cars plus golf cart bay and is extended two feet. What a nightmare it would be to replace the concrete. I'm still curious about the cause, however. Bad aggregate (cement)? Shoddy workmanship?
Old 06-03-2020, 09:42 AM

The issue is the stone used to mix the concrete was too dry so when the stone absorbed the moisture in the new cement they expand and pop up the cement. If you haven't made a warranty claim AND notified the warranty insurance company before the expiration of the one year warranty you're wasting your time. I lost my mediation case against TV over this issue because I had not notified the insurance company before the end of the one year but TV warranty was fully aware and failed to repair them properly.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Too bad for me. House is 6 years old. Warranty suggests calling the contractor -- T&D Concrete. They may be able to do a patch, but that's all. My garage floor is epoxyed. A bunch of patches should look really cool, right?
Old 06-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

bad/dry aggregate is possible altho, between plant & your house, conc in barrel should've had enough time to 'wet' so don't think its due to 'dry rock',,more likely cause is alkali imcompatibility issue between cement source & imported aggregate,,, ran into this yrs ago on nysdot job,,, spall repairs we did prior to winter shutdown came out of the ground by the time we returned in the spring so had to replace,,, we changed to magnesium phosphate & never had an issue after the mtls change
depending on the topography of your lot, could be a sub-conc hydrostatic wtr issue,,, do you have know if there was a vapor barrier installed under the garage floor's conc OR any other part of your very fine home's conc floors ?
depending on the spalls effect on your floor's integrity, probably a live with it issue - call me when we finally move in !
how many in a sq ft ? avg diameter ?
Old 06-07-2020, 02:47 PM

I had the same problem on my brand new house in 2004, there were these dime size divits all over and I have a golf cart garage and 2 car.. I was able to have the warranty dept.put a slurry coat over the floor. This worked fine until I put down epoxy paint and the hot tires stuck to the paint and pulled up chunks of the slurry coat. I wound up placing mats for each tire.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

rebar. when I used that word in talking to a contractor about my concrete, he just laughed. Most Villages homes are built to meet code and that's mostly about it, the concrete will shift and crack, pop up in spots, etc. It's functional, but you get what you get.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

usually its dry stone but could also be something called 'chert',,, easy repair using high-early strength cements

chert - Yahoo Search Results
Closed Thread

Tags
concrete, garage, issue, floor, nail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.