The "garage house" in Tall Trees

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am really curious what they are going to do with monster garage? Beside upsetting the neighbors.
Maybe he restores classic vehicles or runs a golf cart dealership from his home. It looks better than the home that had a 2nd story added by my sister's house in Gilchrist.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

Up north we have for the 2 of us; 5 motorcycles, one is a large touring bike, that bike alone takes up the space of half a car. Plus 2 scooters in our garage, and a parts scooter. That is besides 2 cars. What would be really nice is to have a garage like a friend of ours who fixes them. He has white cloth under the bikes even when he changes the oil, everything is so clean you could eat off the floor. Only one of our bikes is coming to TV (I hope). But since hubby let me buy a home here I have to make him happy too. As far as the monster garage goes, as bad as it looks, I can easily see lots of uses for such a large garage.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-22-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Actually think it looks ok....I bet there are a lot of folks that wish they had the extra room. As long as they are within the setbacks and aren't infringing on others property enhancing how one lives is up to us. If it's legal, it's legal. I also have no dog in this hunt, I just don't understand the issue unless it's envy.
Thank you for changing it from "no dog in this fight" to "no dog in this hunt". Dogfighting is a felony.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-22-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage

No - it does not look ok, in my opinion it does not fit into the neighborhood. I say this even if I am envious of all the space this garage represents. I’d rather have the goodwill of my neighbors myself, just sayin.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:15 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

No guy ever said that their garage was too big. Storage space is a premium here....and I am sure that this has increased the value of his home quite a bit.

In the Preserve the Villages is starting to build attached RV garages. In other nearby communities these are becoming very popular. Now those are big garages.

I have also seen additions that have been 2 story garages with car lifts in them so you could drive a car under a car. These lifts have gotten to be inexpensive so if you have the space/height they are quite desirable.

In my previous community just outside The Villages, I designed and built myself a second attached garage...the only one in the neighborhood. It was proportioned well and fit nicely on the lot. I never heard even one negative comment. Since I did all the work myself, it cost me about 10-12k to do it. I sold that home for well over 50,000 more than any other home in the neighborhood, largely because of that extra garage space.

I understand everyone's feelings on this....on one hand you do not want every home to look exactly alike, and you also do not want an eyesore. I personally think this is well within those extremes.

Frank
Old 06-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,301 Times in 537 Posts

The garage addition is approved by ARC and is already built. Folks are “beating a dead horse”. Another way to put it “BOY howdy” it’s a done deal. I seriously think landscaping will make a difference just as landscaping makes an improvement to any property.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The garage addition is approved by ARC and is already built. Folks are “beating a dead horse”. Another way to put it “BOY howdy” it’s a done deal. I seriously think landscaping will make a difference just as landscaping makes an improvement to any property.
This garage is built that is true. But whether other such garages will be built - that is where it makes a difference what the Village home owners think of it.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-22-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

It was approved it’s built and will get landscaped soon. It looks great. Congratulations to the owner of the beautiful home. Glad you hung in there against all the opposition. Enjoy your home in the way you see fit.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
No guy ever said that their garage was too big. Storage space is a premium here....and I am sure that this has increased the value of his home quite a bit.

In the Preserve the Villages is starting to build attached RV garages. In other nearby communities these are becoming very popular. Now those are big garages.

I have also seen additions that have been 2 story garages with car lifts in them so you could drive a car under a car. These lifts have gotten to be inexpensive so if you have the space/height they are quite desirable.

In my previous community just outside The Villages, I designed and built myself a second attached garage...the only one in the neighborhood. It was proportioned well and fit nicely on the lot. I never heard even one negative comment. Since I did all the work myself, it cost me about 10-12k to do it. I sold that home for well over 50,000 more than any other home in the neighborhood, largely because of that extra garage space.

I understand everyone's feelings on this....on one hand you do not want every home to look exactly alike, and you also do not want an eyesore. I personally think this is well within those extremes.

Frank
Yep. Where I currently live the shop is usually bigger than the house and built first. lol

It's kinda like having a big deck.. lol

Big Deck - YouTube

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-22-2019, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Lynnhaven is close to Tall Trees so I will have to golf cart by this home to check it out.

There are not a whole lot of houses in Tall Trees that I recall.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,479 Times in 712 Posts

The owner has hired a landscaping company and there will be a Bougainvillea , a Weeping Bottle Brush , and a Laura Pendulum tree along with an11-inch wall and rock beddings. We should judge after the finished product.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
The owner has hired a landscaping company and there will be a Bougainvillea , a Weeping Bottle Brush , and a Laura Pendulum tree along with an11-inch wall and rock beddings. We should judge after the finished product.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Very few people would ever if see this home as it is a very out-of-the-way section of Tall Trees. Just the immediate neighbors would probably see it.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If that house in Tall Trees offends you, then don't go to the Village of Pinellas, especially the street of Isleworth Circle. One house has a 9 car garage, the others have 3 to 5 car garages. The only photo I could find of Isleworth Circle was a home with a 5 car garage. Those on the southside might remember it was hit by lighting and burned down in 2013 and smoke could be seen for miles. They rebuilt the home, here is a photo right after the lightning strike, you can see part of the garages. From what I've heard, they have every toy in the garage, SUV's, boat, jet skis, ATV's, motorcycles and he had air tanks in the ceiling so he could just pull down a hose and inflate the tires of any vehicle while it was in the garage.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-22-2019, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,376 Times in 3,052 Posts

I'd like to see what the house looks like from the perspective of someone standing on the street with that little porch bench directly in front of them. The perspective of the photo in this thread (and at the Villages "news" site) of course looks like a monster of mostly garage, tiny home. It was set up to look that way on purpose, to really play up the garage part, and the unfinished driveway, and total lack of landscaping.

While it's obvious that this guy's garage is enormous, it also means he could easily convert his golf garage into a step-down (or ramped, for handicap accessibility) TV room of the house itself, and make the normal car garage part into a combination laundry/golf cart garage/workshop. And then the big huge new add-on part could become a garage large enough for a tall pickup truck and a normal car, with plenty of room to get in and out, and even a handi-van if someone disabled moves in.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Maybe he restores classic vehicles or runs a golf cart dealership from his home. It looks better than the home that had a 2nd story added by my sister's house in Gilchrist.
See post #5. More second stories to come.

Approved or not, I think the house is ugly. More garage than house. But to each his own, as long as there is approval. I'm glad I don't live there, and I wouldn't buy there around that place.

Tags
garage, trees, tall, arc, built

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.