Garage screen

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2018, 05:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

A vote for Cool Breeze and Lonnie. Great product and service.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The sliders are not affected by the garage door at all as they are in front of it. There are 4 sliding panels, you can slide 1 panel over and walk in/out without having to raise the whole thing every time. Yes, it is personal preference.
Sliders sounds like a good way to go for quick trips while working outside back & forth. I wonder if it is difficult to get the car or GC in and out around the track? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

We had rented a place with a slider screen before this home and had no problem with GC or car. Just a small bump. It does have to be cleared of debris. Plus it's closer to 1/2 the price of roll-up (last time I checked).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 PM

Why do people want screens on the garage door in the first place?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasetti82 View Post
Why do people want screens on the garage door in the first place?
I asked the same question when we were first looking at homes here. Never saw one up north. Had no idea what it was for. Well I learned and for me I like to do "stuff" in the garage and not have it visible to the universe at night (with "security screen"). Sometimes I work on the car or cart and/or just want to leave the garage door opened so a "breeze" can pass through the door and through the house. All this while keeping out the bugs and other critters like snakes, alligators and wild elephants.

I prefer the slider because I just need to open 1 panel to walk in or out or 2 panels to get the golf cart in or out vs. the roll up which has to fully open across 16' x 7' each time I want to just walk in or out. It's also noisier and has motors & gears & switches than can go bad vs. a screen sliding on a metal track.

Roll up has some advantages but for me I prefer the slider (which I still don't have because they are still doing construction on our garage).
Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

I prefer motorized roll up. The sliders are convenient for going in and out, I just can't stand the noise when one drives into the garage in a car or cart. A neighbor 5 doors down has one and every time he goes in his garage, the noise startles me.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I prefer motorized roll up. The sliders are convenient for going in and out, I just can't stand the noise when one drives into the garage in a car or cart. A neighbor 5 doors down has one and every time he goes in his garage, the noise startles me.

I know this is an old thread but I am finally in the market for a SLIDER (not roll-up) garage screen for reasons discussed earlier in this thread. Our construction is finally over but the question I have for you is "WHAT NOISE DOES A SLIDER MAKE every time your neighbor 5 houses away goes into his driveway?" Maybe I am confused. There is no motor. I used a slider during a 2 month rental and drove in/out many times and there was absolutely no noise other than the barely audible "swoosh" when you pulled it opened or closed. I can't imagine any motorized screen making LESS noise than that. Maybe his bottom rail was loose and it rattled when he drove over it?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Who did your screens? Thanks in advance.
It took 5 months due to construction but I finally ordered from Michelle's. Now 5 weeks for delivery but no hurry since I have to have the driveway painted. .
Old 12-31-2018, 11:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,028 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
It took 5 months due to construction but I finally ordered from Michelle's. Now 5 weeks for delivery but no hurry since I have to have the driveway painted. .
We are considering just what you ordered. Please give an update after yours is installed and used for a couple weeks.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

We bought a house with the sliders and took them down. We tend to use all the vehicles in the garage, sometimes both leaving at the same time. Opening one side, then opening the other got to be a pain in the neck. Not to mention having to get out of the car or cart to open the screen when we got home.

If you usually only need to open one side or the other this is not a huge issue.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Sage
Default Garage screen

Yep. For us only 1 car which is rarely used and a golf cart (of sorts) used many times a day so just 1 side is needed and much more convenient than a motorized model that would have to be fully opened and closed every time I want to walk or roll out of the garage.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We are considering just what you ordered. Please give an update after yours is installed and used for a couple weeks.
Will do but we had one in a rental we had for 2 months before buying and really liked it. That was the first time I had ever used (or even seen) one.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
I know this is an old thread but I am finally in the market for a SLIDER (not roll-up) garage screen for reasons discussed earlier in this thread. Our construction is finally over but the question I have for you is "WHAT NOISE DOES A SLIDER MAKE every time your neighbor 5 houses away goes into his driveway?" Maybe I am confused. There is no motor. I used a slider during a 2 month rental and drove in/out many times and there was absolutely no noise other than the barely audible "swoosh" when you pulled it opened or closed. I can't imagine any motorized screen making LESS noise than that. Maybe his bottom rail was loose and it rattled when he drove over it?
I installed the motor rollup screen. 3 remotes. Always out of the way. Totally quiet.

I also changed the rollers to neoprene rollers and motor to belt driven on my regular garage door. Sooo quiet. I still hear the neighbors several houses away, but they don't hear me.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I installed the motor rollup screen. 3 remotes. Always out of the way. Totally quiet.

I also changed the rollers to neoprene rollers and motor to belt driven on my regular garage door. Sooo quiet. I still hear the neighbors several houses away, but they don't hear me.

That was my point. For my purposes I DID NOT want the screen always out of the way. Just had a belt driven opener installed with new garage door and yes it is virtually silent. Can even open/close it from my Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, screen, rolls, difference, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.