Garage screen

Garage screen

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasetti82 View Post
Why do people want screens on the garage door in the first place?
With our washer dryer in the garage we have the garage door open most days. My first year here in 2011 our neighbor found a rattlesnake in his garage. I had an umbrella stolen out of the umbrella stand on the front porch. That's when I had a horizontal screen installed on our CYV for $850. It keeps out snakes, two legged thieves looking for an easy target and lizards and insects. Also after you spend thousands on landscaping, why not keep it neat looking with a screen instead of an open garage door. In this photo the garage door is open.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

I prefer motorized roll up. The sliders are convenient for going in and out, I just can't stand the noise when one drives into the garage in a car or cart. A neighbor 5 doors down has one and every time he goes in his garage, the noise startles me.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2018, 10:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I prefer motorized roll up. The sliders are convenient for going in and out, I just can't stand the noise when one drives into the garage in a car or cart. A neighbor 5 doors down has one and every time he goes in his garage, the noise startles me.

I know this is an old thread but I am finally in the market for a SLIDER (not roll-up) garage screen for reasons discussed earlier in this thread. Our construction is finally over but the question I have for you is "WHAT NOISE DOES A SLIDER MAKE every time your neighbor 5 houses away goes into his driveway?" Maybe I am confused. There is no motor. I used a slider during a 2 month rental and drove in/out many times and there was absolutely no noise other than the barely audible "swoosh" when you pulled it opened or closed. I can't imagine any motorized screen making LESS noise than that. Maybe his bottom rail was loose and it rattled when he drove over it?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Who did your screens? Thanks in advance.
It took 5 months due to construction but I finally ordered from Michelle's. Now 5 weeks for delivery but no hurry since I have to have the driveway painted. .
Old 12-31-2018, 11:22 PM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
It took 5 months due to construction but I finally ordered from Michelle's. Now 5 weeks for delivery but no hurry since I have to have the driveway painted. .
We are considering just what you ordered. Please give an update after yours is installed and used for a couple weeks.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 AM

We bought a house with the sliders and took them down. We tend to use all the vehicles in the garage, sometimes both leaving at the same time. Opening one side, then opening the other got to be a pain in the neck. Not to mention having to get out of the car or cart to open the screen when we got home.

If you usually only need to open one side or the other this is not a huge issue.
Garage screen
Old 01-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

Default Garage screen

Yep. For us only 1 car which is rarely used and a golf cart (of sorts) used many times a day so just 1 side is needed and much more convenient than a motorized model that would have to be fully opened and closed every time I want to walk or roll out of the garage.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We are considering just what you ordered. Please give an update after yours is installed and used for a couple weeks.
Will do but we had one in a rental we had for 2 months before buying and really liked it. That was the first time I had ever used (or even seen) one.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I know this is an old thread but I am finally in the market for a SLIDER (not roll-up) garage screen for reasons discussed earlier in this thread. Our construction is finally over but the question I have for you is "WHAT NOISE DOES A SLIDER MAKE every time your neighbor 5 houses away goes into his driveway?" Maybe I am confused. There is no motor. I used a slider during a 2 month rental and drove in/out many times and there was absolutely no noise other than the barely audible "swoosh" when you pulled it opened or closed. I can't imagine any motorized screen making LESS noise than that. Maybe his bottom rail was loose and it rattled when he drove over it?
I installed the motor rollup screen. 3 remotes. Always out of the way. Totally quiet.

I also changed the rollers to neoprene rollers and motor to belt driven on my regular garage door. Sooo quiet. I still hear the neighbors several houses away, but they don't hear me.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I installed the motor rollup screen. 3 remotes. Always out of the way. Totally quiet.

I also changed the rollers to neoprene rollers and motor to belt driven on my regular garage door. Sooo quiet. I still hear the neighbors several houses away, but they don't hear me.

That was my point. For my purposes I DID NOT want the screen always out of the way. Just had a belt driven opener installed with new garage door and yes it is virtually silent. Can even open/close it from my Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
garage, screen, rolls, difference, price